3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best grunt tube  (Read 768 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Best grunt tube
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
  I'm looking to get a grunt tube and was curious if you guys had any opinions on what to look for and especially what to stay away from. Thanks for the help! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best grunt tube
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I love the true talker and the Rod Benson calls,, I stay away from anything I can't just breath on and make it work,, The true talker takes just a bit of breath to get the softest bleat out of it,,Seems more natural to me,,JM2$,Jason B.
TGMM

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
tru-talker
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
H.S. Tru-Talker, nice, deep guttaral grunts plus I've pinched it down to make a passable bleat that's called in does.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Yes, tru-talker. Keep it under some layers of your clothing or it will freeze up when it's cold as do most of them.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Knight and Hale and Woodwise also make some great grunt calls as well.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Tru-Talker. Easy to change the tone and you can get decent volume when you ned it.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
The Tru-talker is just too long for my likes. Plus, I'm not excited by it's tone at all. The best calls I've used are the hands free calls made by Modern Calls. They produce the best tone and most accurate deer sounds of any call I've used. And they carry a life time warranty.
N/A

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
The best grunt tube is the one you don't buy, or leave at home. In most cases and most places for most of us, those days are over.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Wood-wise for me.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
The new Primos Buck Roar has a pretty good sound to it.
Skeater who?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Dave2old makes a valid point. With the number of grunts being sold and tooted in the woods,if whitetails are as smart as elk,they'll become just as callshy soon.

That said,I pack 2 of em but use sparingly,usually to try to turn a buck I've seen but is goin the wrong direction.......

My alltime fave is a Primos wood suction type grunt,never freezes up.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
If you had asked before this past weekend, I would have told you how much I like my new Primos Power Buck & Doe call (with adjustable reeds).  The tone is pretty good (at least the mature buck and the doe blat tones are good) and it has a neato compass built in.

Unfortunately, when it gets cold (like it did this past weekend), the reeds freeze up.  When that happens, the call stops sounding like deer and starts sounding like asthmatic weasels doing jumping jacks.  >:-(

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
Dave,
As usual, you beat me too it.  Don't call.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
As of Saturday, and the action I witnessed, there is no better than the Primos Buck Roar.

Sorry Dave...but how are the rare steaks at the Ore House? I'd fly in for one of those! Or perhaps a game of pool at Solids! A snowboard at Purgatory? or a round of golf on top of the hill? As long as I can make the walk back across the Animas river bridge, I'll be okay.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 04:43:00 AM »
The buck roar is all i carry these days. I started using it last season and it works. It will freeze up on ya but can be fixed be simply flicking the reed with your finger. The sound is so good that i can put up with that.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Dave, would you recommend the same advice for turkey hunters?
N/A

Offline jgbennett6

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
my new favorite is the extiguisher tube, it has a slide that allows you to go from fawn bleat to doe to buck it sounds great also
Smoooooth!!
TGMM - Family of the bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Quaker Boy makes one of the best sounding I know of. To me most calls produce to deep of a sound for the bucks I hunt. If I was hunting giant mid-west bucks than maybe, but here a big buck 3.5 years old will dress 150-170#s. What I am getting at ya need a call that works and sounds good inthe area you are hunting. The true talker is nice but man it is big and takes up a lot of room. Unlike Kenny and some others I blind call every half hour or so and it has worked for me. I do one quick series and put the call away unless I get a response.Shawn
Shawn

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Try a voice grunt.

I've had marginal success with grunting, but I've had my best success with using my voice.  I pack it everywhere I go so it takes no room in my fanny pack.  The only problem is it can dry up and sometimes I bury my face in my coat to do a "warm up" grunt before the "showtime" grunt.  Pulled a nice buck to 5 yards yesterday.

When I use my Tru Talker it sounds good to me, but the deer ignore it.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©