3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Stingers With a Lansky.....what angle?  (Read 356 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Stingers With a Lansky.....what angle?
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
What angle do you find works best when sharpening Magnus Stingers with a Lansky sharpener?

I've used Bear Razorheads for several years and always sharpened with a file.  This year I decided to try the Stingers and have been experimenting with different sharpening techniques.  The file just doesn't seem to work as well on the Stingers.

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Stingers With a Lansky.....what angle?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Everyone has their own method I'm sure. But here's what has worked well for me. I start with a coarse stone at the 25 degree angle and get my initial bevel.(apprx 20 strokes per side) Then I do the same with a med stone. For the final edge I take a fine stone on the 30 degree angle apprx. 15 per side very lightly. That should get you right in the ball park.  Brokenwing

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Wow, I haven't had to do more than a few LIGHT swipes with and Accusharp and some croc sticks to get them shaving again, even after repeatedly shooting them into the dirt. I wouldn't mess with the blade angle either with a file or a Lansky. If I DID though, I'd try the medium angle.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I've tried the Accusharp and it doesn't get them as sharp as I'd like....maybe if I did like you do and followed it up with the crock sticks.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
I shoot the Stingers also, I found Lite, real lite strokes with the Accusharp and they shave hair. I was pressing to hard at first, called Magnus and that's the instructions they gave me. I
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
i shoot stingers as well but i just use a file and steel to sharpen it works for me.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Get you a $6.95 wheelie sharpener from Simmons. Best darn thing I have used for two blade heads.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
i use a course hard stone and a smooth hard stone.  blades sharp in about 3 minutes.  scared to touch them!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
The Accusharp will get them hunting sharp but I am like you, I want out of the package sharp. I run the accusharp down the blade a few strokes then hit the main blade with very few LIGHT strokes on the Lansky using the finest stone in the kit. Use 20 degree and you will achieve scary sharp in no time.

Just make sure you use the same number of strokes on each side of the blade. I generally get what I need with about 3-5 strokes.

I think the biggest thing on the Accusharp is holding the same position for each stroke down the blade. It's really easy to have a different angle each time and even the slightest varience with be counter productive the last.
Skeater who?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©