3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Let Her Walk...  (Read 1137 times)

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
I Let Her Walk...
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I hunt with a Holm Made River Runner recurve at 45#.
I practice off my 12ft porch at 20yds.
I am in my 3rd year of trad hunting, and my general rule is no shots over 20 yds.
I had a doe this Saturday morning broadside right at 30yds. Except for the range I was in the perfect shot situation, but decided it wasn't worth the risk of wounding the animal.
Is a 30 yard shot feasible with a #45 recurve?
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Re: I Let Her Walk...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
It is feasible, but no way am I taking a 30yd shot at a deer! Closer is almost always better, and a lot can happen to make he outcome bad atnlong distances. I think you did the right thing.

Bisch

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Yes it possible, but I would never take a 30 yard shot at a deer.
You did well.  ^5

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I have won more traditional archery tournaments than I can remember back in the day, I wouldn't take a 30 yard shot at a deer.

When I first started bow hunting in the early 70s I took a 40 yard shot off the ground at a deer that was looking at me. Before my arrow got there the deer took 4 or 5 rapid steps. My arrow only hit the air where the deer was once standing. This taught me a lesson on taking long shots.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Some may so no but if your confident you can make the shot I say take it. Close shots can turn into bad shots just as easy as long ones it's all up to you.

I don't hunt by what others say,I have my own ethics which I was brought up on by my dad since I was very young. The more you practice the more confidence you will get. Have fun and enjoy.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
I believe we all have our own choices to make and ethics to live by. That being said I believe it doesn't matter how good you are like Eric said above wild animals instincts are survival. None of our bows are faster than the speed of sound so they do have the advantage to react no matter if your slinging a compound or longbow.
I shot competitive compound for years and was close to sponsorship before I gave it up for traditional archery tackle. To me Part of the allure of our sport for me has been getting as close to a whitetail or game of any kind as possible to make my shot. I find I'm more and more impressed by guys killing animals within the 10 yard radius on the ground than I am by a booner at 30yards cause I can't seem to get drawn on anything in close hahaha.
I believe you made the right choice, I would have made the same. There're plenty of guys here who would have taken and probably made that shot and good on them if they can, everyone's game is different. Hunt your game and hunt with confidence.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
You did the right thing.  Over 20 yds. with any trad. bow is a recipe for disaster, more times than not.  JMHO
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
I know people who have killed animals at much farther than 30 with a tradbow, I also know people who've missed them at less than 15 due to them reacting to the shot.  I think the situation matters a lot.  I will take a 30 yard shot an an animal, but everything will have to be absolutely perfect.  

Personally, if the deer is looking your way, or on any kind of alert, I wouldn't shoot.  

Here is a video from one of our very own that a great example of how fast a deer can move.  

At the end of the day, we live with our decisions and letting an animal live another day because of lack of comfort is a shot is always a good decision, imo.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
First of all, you didn't feel comfortable, so you didn't shoot.  Good job following your gut feeling.

Second, there is a big difference between "feasible" and "advisable"

From my porch to my target is a little over thirty yards.  Because I've practiced from that exact spot often, I can stick it.  I doubt that I could replicate that on a hunt.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
It is feasible, but no way am I taking a 30yd shot at a deer! Closer is almost always better, and a lot can happen to make he outcome bad atnlong distances. I think you did the right thing.

Bisch
Considering Whitetails in a hunted area, I agree completely...(learned by experience since 1967)  I am sure you did the right thing.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
I've gotta think pretty hard past about 28 yards

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
If I feel uncomfortable with a shot no matter what distance I've already made my choice not to shoot.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
You have had bowhunting lesson #1 -- Let the critter walk if the right shot does not present itself.

Well done.

For me the "right shot" is 15-17 yards or less, a calm animal, clear arrow path, broadside or quartering away.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
Ya 30 pretty far for me on whitetail.

Offline Kromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
It's all situational. I've passed shots under 15 and killed over 25. The deer's current state, wind conditions, and my "feel" tell me when to shoot or not, not yardage. If you feel the shot, take it.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
The very fact that you are asking this question is proof enough for me that there was a bit of doubt in your mind to make the shot. I agree with Bisch that YOU made the right decision. I always remember what my mentor taught me. Traditional bow HUNTING is not seeing how far away from the animal you can get and hitting the mark. It's getting as CLOSE as you can and not missing ! To me, it's all about becoming a better hunter by getting close to your game

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
I think Kromer said it well.  'Did you feel the shot' is the best criteria I can think of.  Wind, animals posture, awareness, and distance can all be factors.  I learned a long time ago to trust my instincts.  If you are confident, take it.  If not pass.  You alone will know if you made the right call.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
I feel since you don't practice at that distance you shouldn't shoot at game that far. A 45# bow will absolutely do the job at that distance. Some people are just better than others and you just have to figure out where you belong. I know I can't go into a major league baseball game and pitch. Some can. Trad Archery is no different. Some can shoot tennis balls at 60 yards while others can't do it at 15.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
For me, 30 yards is too far. Probably, 25 is also a bit far. 20 is good. Most guys are in about the same effective range that I am. But there are people who can make shots at this distance effectively. I envy them.
Sam

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
Right decision
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©