3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permethrin and Whitetail's  (Read 660 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Permethrin and Whitetail's
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Hey guys I'm thinking of using Permethrin this year to help with the current NY tick problem (last year I had 7 on me at one time) and lime diasese scares me.
Just wondering for those that use it, it sais it is orderless? Obviously we should always play the wind just wondering if you guys notice deer spooking more when you're wear it?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permethrin and Whitetail's
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
I've had deer right under my stand unspooked. It's best to give it a day or two to dry before going afield. It can remain effective for a few weeks after application.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Its odorless once it dries.  You'll find us Southern folks that deal with ticks most of our season use permethrin religiously.  I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever this past June and it darn near killed me (and I'm a 36 year old in good shape).  

I'll not go in,the woods without it.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
No Problems here.  Use it all season.
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Plenty of deer ticks up here.  I use it as well and never an issue.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
The premixed sawyers in yellow bottle does dry odorless so no problem.

If you go with the concentrate and mix your own , we use a bunch of it here in the south so more economical, go with martins 10% permethrin. It is water based as others are petroleum based and carry an odor.  https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-Multi-Purpose-Insecticide-8oz/dp/B001EVKCKM

Comes in a larger 32oz also.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Here's a video that I found that I've followed for the last several years and it works really well for me.

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
I use it to with no problems.  I just got my new batch off amazon.
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Offline MPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
I use it in the early season won't go out without it. Like anything else I think it is more important to have wind in your favor than worrie about what you smell like. Deer have an incredible nose your not going to fool them.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
I add doe urine to the pads of my thermacell which uses Permethrin to keep the bugs off I've had deer come from downwind sniffing the air coming right down to the base of the tree I was in.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
That's a great idea BenBow...never thought of that.  I'll try it!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by BenBow:
I add doe urine to the pads of my thermacell which uses Permethrin to keep the bugs off I've had deer come from downwind sniffing the air coming right down to the base of the tree I was in.
Interesting, thanks, regular urine or doe in heat?
shoot straight shoot often

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
I’m from an area of the country where there isn’t much Lyme disease.  The area where I shoot has ticks, but not very many.  The dog has a tick collar which seems to be very effective.  I’ve picked a few ticks off myself that were crawling around, but unattached.  So I don’t really have much experience with ticks, and none (thank God) with Lyme disease or other tick borne diseases.

Sometimes I have the opportunity to go to areas of the country where there are many ticks and Lyme disease is prevalent.  I watched the video above, and will try to do the things he suggested.  Like in the video, I’ve heard stories of areas where there are thousands of ticks.  Those of you who hunt in areas like that, how do you cope with that?  Do you expect to have ticks on you when you come back in, or is the tick protection sufficient to completely prevent ticks on you?  Is the goal to completely prevent ticks from attaching to you, or is it to keep them to a minimum?  Sorry to sound so dumb about this, but it’s better to admit something than to stumble into it and be sorry later.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
I have never had a problem with Permethrin giving me away. I simply do not want to hunt without it. Tick diseases are just too severe to take chances.

A couple of years ago, I learned that I have Alpha Gal allergy, a condition that makes me allergic to meat from any mammal. Just a couple of weeks ago, my doctor requested a broad panel of tick tests. Somewhere in my past I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever that was never diagnosed.

No, don't hesitate to use Permethrin. In fact don't go into the woods without it. I just wish I had adopted that decision sooner.
Sam

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
Permethrin is odorless once dry, so you'll be good.  This product is identical to Sawyer but is so much less expensive. It's 17 cents per ounce, compared to around 65-67 cents per ounce for Sawyer.  https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Ready-Bedbug-Killer-3-784/dp/B000BQ889S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506070285&sr=8-1&keywords=bonide+bedbug+killer

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
Like others I wash my hunting clothes in scent free soaps then when air dried I spray all my pants. Been doing that for years. You can't walk in the field here without it. The ticks and chiggers would carry you off.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
I use it and it never seemed to spook deer. It is supposed to be scent free.  I have heard a lot of people warn about it being a nuro toxin and its bad for humans. The New York  outdoor news put an article out and said that it breaks down on our skin and in inert to us. I still wouldn't spray it on my pants while wearing them.  Stuff work great though.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
I use it until the cold kills them. Any time my outdoor adventures takes me against ticks I wear it. It's fantastic stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©