3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any shoulder Replacement shooters  (Read 402 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Any shoulder Replacement shooters
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
Got the bad news that I am close to being a candidate for a shoulder replacement.  Was wondering if we have any shooters that have undergone that surgery and can let me know what to expect if I decide to go that route.
T ZZZZ

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Re: Any shoulder Replacement shooters
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »
Had my right shoulder replacement on March 3.I'm a right hand shooter. DO IT!!! The pain will be gone! I'm back to shooting a 40 lb.bow with no problems at all. I'm 67, followed the Dr. Orders and had no trouble. Don't expect the Dr. To tell you that you will be able to shoot again because he won't. Talk to your therapists when you get fitted for your sling before your surgery and he will tell you with time and the right exercise you will be good to go.
PM me any time. I'll help you through it. It's not so bad. Don't put it off and fight it like I did!!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Tony, sorry to hear that. I'm having shoulder issues myself and haven't shot a bow since July. May miss bow season this year.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Tony, Chuck's(SS Snuffer) your man...still the only person I've heard that's come back to shoot after a full shoulder replacement.  They're not for the faint of heart.  I'm still trying to eek by with arthroscopies (3 so far), but he's inspired me with his success story to the point I might consider one as opposed to just falling on my broadhead when it comes down to that.  On the other hand, I had folks tell me wonderfull things about hips and knees, which I have had replaced.  The hip folks told the truth, piece of cake...the knee folks all LIED!!!! lol
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
I had a total shoulder replacement of my right shoulder in November 2016. Now at 10 months post surgery I am shooting a 43 pound bow and thrilled with the results of the replacement. I shoot right handed.

My advice is to get the replacement now and miss one season. It's a good tradeoff for the benefit of being pain free and enjoying life after it heals up and you have gone through the rehab.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline MrBok

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
The good news is you will feel much better after it's done. Had mine done in may and it feels great, no more pain. If you have a good surgeon and the heart to push yourself through rehab, you will recover and be happy again. And yes after a few months you can shoot your bow again. Be happy to discuss in further detail with you (it's easier to talk than type)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Correction, that might've been Smokin' Joe's post that I was trying to recall...so make that two people.  My mind isn't the steel trap that it used to be, but I'm screwed since they can't do brain replacements yet!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
:laughing:     :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:     yup God help me if they ever start that up !! My wife will have me first in line
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  Got some good info from pm from some of you. I have had 4 shoulder surgeries so I know what is coming. The full replacent does have me worried.  Shooting and golf is my passion.
T ZZZZ

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:57:00 AM »
Left (bow arm) shoulder replaced in 2014. Shoulder pain is gone but it took a while to get any strength back-- I think if it had been my drawing arm the mechanics of it would have been different and the return to shooting quicker. You will be ecstatic to get rid of the pain, though. Follow all PT advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©