3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm lost  (Read 995 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm lost
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Find the food sources early season and sit on em. White oaks are always good if they're in you're area. Public land can be tough cause there's lots of guys trying for the low hanging fruit and prob screwed it up.
As soon as the deer start coming out right at dark, in other words too dark to shoot, go into the woods where they're comin from all the time making sure the wind is good.
Here's the thing, the fact you're sweating this isn't good. Is it gonna make you more of a man if you succeed? Course not so figure it may not happen for a year or maybe 3/4.
This is what it used to take even compound guys back when.
Enjoy the hunt, watching animals and learning.
If you have questions, ask them.
Hunting isn't guaranteed even for the best of guys.
Scrapes btw aren't open yet(for the most part).
Barry Wensel one time said something that makes lots of sense in "Bowhunting October Whitetails".
It's something I teach when I give scout seminars. Look for what's less, food or bedding areas.
I'll add water too if it's in real short supply like in a desert.
Imagine that desert, it's dry and everything is coming to the one local waster source cause they have few choices.
Remember that about vast food or cover areas.
Hunt/look for what's less.
Everybody's info changes and that's why you could be overwhelmed hearing lots of dif things.
And no one has every answer. You earn your deer if you're doing it right, now get out there, enjoy the ride and start earning.
Best of luck!!!
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
From what I know about Tracy...The best thing you could do is call him.. NOW
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
I believe sometimes we(me) complicate things too much.  The most enjoyable thing about hunting to me is being out in the woods.  Don't worry about all the other "stuff".  Just go enjoy it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
All posts offer good tips and encouragement to just get out there and do it. And the idea of hunting the family farm with a mentor is great one. I also like Malachi's suggestions but would add to study deer anatomy and bow shot selection so if an opportunity presents itself you take a legitimate shot with the best chance for a positive result.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
Wpw.  I wasnt expecting such a larhe response.   Thanks for the support and advice.  I plan to take a scouting trip in october then hunt when i can from there.  Even 4 or 5 times out will be huge step for me.  Even though I'd love to get a giant buck,just getting into the woods and possibly seeing deer will be a success in my book.
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
River bottoms In that area should be fantastic, and 118 acres is more than enough. I'm out south of KC but drop me a line and I can talk/text to you. Do you have google earth? I use it to identify stand spots and have killed plenty of deer on property I've never seen before by just using google earth. Would be happy to help you pick a few potential stand spots.

You have most of what you need already it seems: my only other recommendation would be a safety harness and a GOOD climbing tree stand (or light hang on with sticks) like a lone wolf. They are expensive but you can buy one and hunt most anywhere and it will last you.

816-392-9246

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
My grandpa was a die-hard fisherman.  He always told me, "You can't catch a fish unless your hook is in the water."  Indeed, that advice has wider applications than I ever knew back then.  You also can't shoot a deer unless you're out in the woods ready to do so.  Whatever it takes to put you in the woods with a bow in-hand increases your odds exponentially past the dude who sits on the sofa all weekend reading about it.  And every time you mess up, you'll learn something in greater depth and breadth than if you just read it in a book.  Thankfully, it isn't dangerous game hunting.  You risk nothing in each mistake since even mess-ups benefit you in experience.

99.9% of hunting has absolutely nothing to do with shooting a bow or a gun -- especially if it's done right.  You can botch a good hunt with a poor shot but you can't make deer walk in front of you with good marksmanship.  Focus on that 99.9% that isn't shooting and we're bound to get a lucky break at some point.  I have buddy in AR who can't shoot his bow very well at all past 10-15 yards.  He doesn't know the first thing about rifle ballistics and doesn't care.  He's taken way more deer than I'll ever get.

I know a number of CA folks who don't even bother to hunt here but, instead, only go out of state: KS is among the popular destinations I hear about.  Enjoy it.  Just keep showing up and you're bound to get lucky at some point.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
River bottoms In that area should be fantastic, and 118 acres is more than enough. I'm out south of KC but drop me a line and I can talk/text to you. Do you have google earth? I use it to identify stand spots and have killed plenty of deer on property I've never seen before by just using google earth. Would be happy to help you pick a few potential stand spots.

You have most of what you need already it seems: my only other recommendation would be a safety harness and a GOOD climbing tree stand (or light hang on with sticks) like a lone wolf. They are expensive but you can buy one and hunt most anywhere and it will last you.

816-392-9246

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
You're probably going to find about 15 guys on here willing to come up and show you how to hunt prime Kansas riverbottom

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
Honestly it isn't rocket science.

If you can shoot, your broadheads are sharp, and you are physically able to wander around the woods, you are ready.

Use the internet or stop by the local Game Warden office and figure out your nearest public land open to deer hunting.

Read the reg's, follow the rules.

Grab your bow, throw on a day pack with things for comfort and safety (you are a veteran, you know what goes in the pack), and hit the woods.

Wander around and take it all in. Deer sign, terrain, just be there and enjoy it.

If you should get an opportunity, kill the first legal deer you can. Worry about horns later.

Hunting...bowhunting...traditional bowhunting is about a lot more than hanging bucks on the pole. Learn to just enjoy being there first. Freezer meat is just an awesome by-product   :archer2:    :archer2:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »
It's no different than it was for me as a kid, your just older.  Main thing is to get out there, watch, observe, learn as you go.  It's easy to find deer, it's hard to be able to get close enough to make a shot on an unaware animal.  Just keep at it.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline sandlapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
118 acres is plenty if in the right location. I have 40 acres next to a swamp and see plenty of deer. I see as many bucks as does. The thicker the better. Two hours is not that far away for a day or weekend hunt. Go get after them!

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
You have been given lots of great advice. When I'm asked what I look for when I'm scouting, I say tracks, trails and food sources. I setup on trails leading to the food with the wind in my face. If there's a creek on the property I walk it looking for crossings. Also great spots to ambush a whitetail. The journey is just as fun as the harvest.  Best of luck Sir
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©