3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to maintain control at "crunch time"  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
How to maintain control at "crunch time"
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
There is nothing like adrenaline to screw up your normal shot sequence and no discipline like traditional archery where things can go so wrong so fast. I've found Joel Turner's method of getting angry works pretty well. Everyone talks about deep breathing. What works for you when it's finally time to loose an arrow.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to maintain control at "crunch time"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:00 AM »
Focusing on the spot I want to hit and not the critter. It's a tough chore when your excited, but the excitement is what it's all about.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
If it's a fast shot I really don't think about anything , otherwise I only think about my shot sequence and not the animal ( other than it's position ). If I stay true to my shooting form I do ok..

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Spot - Yes , Don't overthink Yes. I do know when I have the time to focus on my intended "exit" for the arrow this has made good shots perfect shots.
<><
<-------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Over the years with lots of exposure I have become really dead calm when deer shots present themselves regardless of antler size. With elk its not so much adrenaline that I deal with as it is fatigue as I have usually been on the move to get there.
 Pigs happen fast usually and the damned things never stand still, always moving and twitching.
 But I hunt on the ground exclusively for the past 8 years and when I am close to a bear I get that big rush that wants to mess up my shot. I focus on a spot, which is tough with a bear because they are so black it can be tough to see definition. Once I find a spot I don't look at the whole bear again unless something major changes. I learned meditation years ago and do that a couple times a day and it helps quiet the voices  ;) , and does help with breathing control.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Ive tried meditation. My voices are too loud:)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
If I concentrate on the "spot" where the arrow will go and not on the deer I don't get the yips so bad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
In the late 60s early 70s I tried the target method to control my buck fever.  Figuring if I had a light bow and mechanical assistance with the sight and my Wilson Strap Tab that it would give me something to do.  I do hunt in a way that gives me those kinds of shooting opportunities very often.  What works for me is to have only one visual in my head at my standard tempo as to what my shot is going to be.  It does naturally slow down a little on long shots.  It would look very fast to most, but to me it is simply a get on with it shot with no dilly dallying.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
It is very easy to get attached to specific deer.  That makes it a real emotional battle to want to harm them when it starts to get personal. There is a giant perfectly proportioned doe where we hunt, she has a perfect exceptionally long legged fawn.  I can guarantee even with my aggressive shot timing that I could not shoot that big doe or her big fawn.   I have been going out and watching her, an incredible animal.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Confidence in ability and time. Once you've been at it a bit, you'll still be excited but able to function. Once you achieve full draw in your mind a deer should have zero chance. If he does don't shoot anyway.
Talk yourself through the shot and cut your distance down to chip shots early on.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
Practice it.   Everywhere you go, every critter you see.  Pick a spot, pick a shot.  Pick a time to draw.   Go thru the sequence.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
I should clarify. Ive been hunting since I was very young. Killed my first bear at 13. Ive been shooting trad for 7 or 8 years now and have been pretty successful, killing deer, bear, and pigs. I did lose my mind and blow a chip shot on a monster buck last year but overall do pretty well. Ive just recently pretty well overcome a long bout with target panic but it does want to creep back in on live game.  Picking a spot is usually the problem if there is one

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
Establish a set shot sequence and follow it every time until it becomes ingrained. Pick a hair instead of a spot, move up close during practice until you are wearing it out. My normal target is a slice of 1 inch PVC hung on Spiderwire. I have one that I broke but there is a very small piece of PVC on the string and I use that a lot. The smaller the target the better.
 My voices used to be really loud as well, I started hunting in a ghillie on the ground and had deer right on top of me pretty regularly and that helped. Waiting for a deer to walk far enough away from you so that you can draw will test you.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Shooting lots of does helps
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Focus on the spot.

First deer I took from the ground by stalking took me five years of trying.  I made every mistake possible.  What helped the most was small game hunting with my bow and a LOT of stump shooting.  

The first adult deer I have in range every year gives me the shakes.  Still does.  Whether I take the shot or not I draw and focus.  After that, even if I have let down on that initial deer, I seem to have gotten the shakes out of my system. "Taking Coup" I call it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
Yeah. The first couple deer I see every year are hand shakers

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »
Practice the shot process, get it ingrained to the point that it's second nature.  Won't matter what the target is.  I don't get tore up until after the fact, shot or not.  Masters of the Barebow, Volume III or even better, a Rod Jenkins clinic.  It's not just for targets.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
I focus on the shooting process.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Confidence is king.

For me, KNOWING the shot is easy(within range, relaxed animal, Ect.) helps a ton.

I learned some time ago that I carry a great fear of making a poor hit. KNOWING I`m shooting good and knowing my effective range, where I hit with EVERY arrow EVERY time, has helped a lot.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
I will share some stuff from my previous line of work. I was a golf pro and there are so many similarities between executing golf shots and archery.
Watch the best golfers on tv. They all have a pre shot routine. They do it every time. It helps prepare the body and mind for the shot. Once they start the routine it is like flipping a switch and they focus on nothing but the shot. The routine is usually initiated with some type of physical cue like tapping the club on the ground.
 When they stand behind the ball they are visualizing a good shot flying to its target. This step is especially valuable for archers. Visualize the arrow flying to target. This helps your mind tell your body what to do.
When they stand over the ball they will have one swing thought. Sometimes it's mechanical, sometimes it's rhythm. For me I just think PULL. It's a thought that reminds me to draw smooth and keep my tension.
Most pro golfers have a cue that actually begins the shot. They might waggle the club twice and then swing or tap the club on the ground or slight move their hands forward and then swing back. This like a psycho trigger. I like the feather to touch my nose. It tells me I have back tension and I'm ready to let it fly. When at full draw and on target I think of nothing but the target. Mechanical type thoughts make your muscles tense. Let the subconscious take care of that. Practice ingrains mechanics into subconscious muscle memory.

Hope this gave someone some insight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©