3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to maintain control at "crunch time"  (Read 1248 times)

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to maintain control at "crunch time"
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
This is a great thread. Timely too. Hard to believe my heart rate is up just reading these! Getting closer to my first trad deer hunt in more than 30yrs. And where I hunt just seeing deer is a thrill.

Keep the tips coming.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Would suspect that having hundreds of close encounters that I presented solid shot opportunities were left to enjoyment has quelled the nerves.

Have envisioned picking the spot and performing a detailed shot execution a thousand times on live animals.  Also actually draw on numerous deer each season. Note: Visualization of perfect shot execution is a significantly integral facet of my own personal training.

My own personal relentless drive to continuously hunt is fuelded by enjoying the outdoors, viewing the fruits of continued property enhancement and the appreciation of these majestic animals.

The shot execution , for me, is like eating a boloney sandwich. I have ample time to shake and celebrate after a proper shot ex3cution.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
I don't know about everyone else but I still get tore up when I know I'm about to get a good shot. If I didn't I guess I would quit hunting. I'm usually so concentrating on the animal's attitude to when I think I can pull back and stick him without detection from me I really don't think about a shot sequence or anything, It just seems to happen. The shot always just seems a blur. I don't know if you can understand that but I really don't know how to put it in words.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
I just focus on a spot....and nothing but that spot. Works for me.

I usually stay somewhat calm before and during the shot. Its after the arrow hits its mark that I get tore all to pieces.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Like all those guys have said focus on a spot. Missed my first shot on a deer with traditional gear because I was looking at the whole animal instead of a spot. Only have taken 2 shots on a live deer; that was #1, #2 the top limb on my bow failed! One of these days!   :D
SWA Spyder

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Guys I'm an expert on this. Lol.  Seriously misses at game hurts. I've taken some nice bucks but I'd gladly exchange the bucks that got away for the ones I got. I once missed a red hartebeest bull at 15 yards by 2 feet! How do you miss a 400 pound animal by that much? I'm the type that would so often just completely fall apart right before the shot. Three or four years ago I was calling in a turkey for a lady Bowhunter that I'm friends with. She had never gotten a turkey. So anyway I got one on a string. I mean a shot is imminent. The bird came right to us and she ended up spooking him while drawing and he got away. After it was over she remarked as to how worked
up I was. I was shaking, the whole bit and I didn't even have a bow in my hand! I decided I needed to get it together. I mean I've been doing this a long time and I've killed a lot of animals. It was time to try to get control. You how so often we "black out" during the shot when the big one comes by? I wanted to stop that from happening. Ever notice how the best shots you have ever made on game were the ones where you can to this day remember the spot on the deer you were aiming at?  I wanted less of the "blackouts" and more of those. Fast forward to the following turkey season. I had just come off of one of my worst deer seasons of my life as far as screw ups. I told myself that spring that I was going to calm myself down and remain present in the shot at a turkey or I was prepared to let him just walk away. I only had 3 mornings to hunt. I decided to do this on a turkey because I know damn good and well it would be a lot harder for me with a nice buck. When I finally got one into the decoys I did just that. I calmed myself by using combat breathing. Then I actually talked myself through every aspect of the shot by physically mouthing the words, draw and anchor, aim, etc. I remember the feather I was aiming at and I waxed him. The next 2 deer seasons I did the same things and I remember exactly where I was aiming on all of the deer I shot. Since then I have come into contact with some of Joel Turners teachings and I believe it's all going to be downhill from here. If you are one of those guys who just has a blackout during the shot and seems to have success then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are like me and just blackout, miss and then wonder what the hell just happened just know that I think you can get over this, even if it isn't easy. Do something to snap yourself out of that "blackout" stage and back into the present. Slow down. Don't rush it. I'd highly recommend looking into Joel Turners stuff as well. It is frustrating to shoot well on targets only to blow it on the big buck or bull simply because you lost control mentally. You can do this!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
Excellent post John. I've had a bad couple years . I've killed a boat load of game  over the years and most were good shots with great results. But this year I've " blacked out" twice and completely missed both deer I was shooting at. I was dang lucky I missed them instead of suffering a bad hit. It helps to know this has happened to others and you worked through it. Bowhunting has been my life for 30 plus years and I really need to get through this slump I'm in. I know it happens but to wound a animal because I couldn't control my shot is un acceptable to me. And I almost called it a season even though we still have 3 months left.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
I’m fortunate that we can bait deer and im confident I’ll get the shot I need. Also,seeing all of the trail cam pictures helps with confidence the buck will be there for awhile, so I’m not rushed at all and can relax and enjoy the encounter.

It’s not uncommon for the deer to be in close quarters for several minutes before I drop the string. Have non target does and small bucks in front of me for long periods also helps with the nerves at crunch time.

Breathing definitely helps and should be done
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
I have never been one for listening to pod casts but this year I found myself driving quite a bit to hunt and my kids set me up to listen to "the Push"...
I started on episode 1 and have found them to be very entertaining and full of useful information...

For me, I found many helpful hints.  Some I knew and had forgotten and some new too me.  Perhaps most importantly as evidenced in the others who have posted, i am not alone in the never ending quest for consistancey and accuracy under presure.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
I haven't really figured it out yet lol

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
I talk to myself. Like saying "find the gap" or "relax you don't get many sight pictures on live animals enjoy it". Sometimes it is just "anchor, find the gap and break ".  I perform much poorly when I don't talk to myself.

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
Bore a hole and don't over think it.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
I struggle with this as well.
My problem mainly is lack of opportunities. I’m lucky to get 1 shot opportunity during archery season a year. So it’s really tough. Even doe is like a big deal cause I just don’t get the opportunities.
And I rarely have a dear lingering around much. I’m on public land and they don’t stay in one spot long. It like always now or never on every shot. It makes it hard. I’d love to be able to have more shots at even doe each year. Allot of it I always though is experience but from some of you guys posts apparently not. You guys get opportunities stuff have some trouble.
It just one of those deals for me. When it does happen it’s like a shock that I’m actually about to get a shot at a deer. Lol
I need to hunt more small game too I think that helps allot.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
This has been a very helpful thread.  For the past couple of years I have been fighting "target panic".  Some of it may have come from getting older (in my mid 60's now), maybe shooting more pounds than I should, bad form, etc.,etc, etc....  Anyhow, it has been a challenge!  The target panic has not only caused me problems at 3D shoots it has also carried itself over to shots on deer.  Sometimes I can hit the hair I'm looking at.  Other times I don't stay with the shot and shoot over their back.  
Today I had 3 big does come in.  They milled around and milled around and checked out everything 3 or 4 times.  I found myself getting pretty worked up.  I used the "combat breathing" method (stated in an earlier post) and it really did work to settle me down.  When I finally got a shot on the lead doe, I was focused, under control, hit anchor and executed a good shot.  I can still see the feathers flying towards the white hairs over her heart.  (I normally aim there to allow for the deer ducking at the sound of the bow).  Well, wouldn't you know it; the wind was blowing real good today and she didn't drop at the shot!  My arrow just grazed her.  All I got was a blood smear on one feather!  Anyhow, I'm still well pleased.  I was able to fight through and make a controlled, solid shot.  Thanks y'all for the great info!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Shooting lots of does helps
This helped me more than anything. For whatever reason, antlers cause excitement. It must be in human DNA.   :cool:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
For me the key is to practice A LOT like I hunt !! That and getting a few under your belt helps to build confidence... took me quite a while!  Now I get the shakes after the shot.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
See the arrow in flight, shoot the arrow.

Target panic is a conditioned response learned  through improper practice. The tempo in shooting should be smooth. When rhythm is broken, jerky or stopped, the mind wonders and so will the eye.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
I like many have struggled and wrestled in my head with how to handle the moment of the shot and what prevents me from proper execution. These are the salient points I have come up with over 38 years behind the string.

1. First and foremost remember, the shot is either gonna happen or its not, when that window opens rushing the shot because you think you don't have any time before they are gone will never help you make a good shot. Best to regret that you have to let down because you didnt have enough time than to miss when you actually had 3-5 more seconds to do it right.

2. Don't be overly concerned about the deer seeing you draw and getting picked off. Its gonna happen sometimes, part of the game, but you cant let that get in your head. If they do look up and see you, continue your sequence instead of stopping mid draw or letting down. You can often get a shot off while they are still trying to figure out what you are.

3. Focus on your spot early, and follow it. When the spot is in range, take your shot, as above if you are overly concerned with what the deer is thinking you will either psyche yourself out of taking the shot or rush it.

I've missed more than I care to remember, but if I don't Hyperintend, and just stay in the moment, the shot does come together.

Lastly, don't give up. Others miss too, not just you. They learned to hit because they kept swinging.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Just my own personal mindset:

1.   Treat the quarry no different than I do a target
2.   Picking and focusing on the smallest spot well before the draw.
3.   Focus on shot execution and only the smallest spot on the quarry.
4.   Let deer walk continuously throughout season and play the complete shot execution thru my head
5.   Draw down on the live target(typically a couple of hundred times during season)
6.   If I were to think of a possible bad mark, the bow is set down immediately. My mind set is geared to estimate how far is the quarry going to travel if I hit him there.
7.   Think of the shot execution as being no more difficult than eating a boloney sandwich
8.   Execute the shot and you won’t have to remember to celebrate

Note: Following this mindset has proven personally successful yet doesn’t render me totally immune. Have taken continuous passes on the last 109 solid shot opportunities at bucks the last 2 ½ seasons. When that coveted opportunity presents itself, I too, may falter.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Coyote,
That is what got me for the pass few years hunting on Long Island. The deer are so pressured I was always getting spotted. I did two things, went a little higher with my stand and put it up within the branches for cover. Now i have confidence that I will get a shot and I'm a lot better. Funny thing was that with hogs i never hada problem since i knew they were not going to pick me up on my Florida hog hunt.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©