3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changes in black widows?  (Read 415 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Changes in black widows?
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Looking at buying a '98 black widow. Anybody noticed a difference in quality or performance from the older bows to today's?  They look identical. Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes in black widows?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
I have an SA 2 from that era, and a modern PSA.  The biggest difference is that sometime, I think in the early 2000’s, they switched to CNC machines for making bows.  This means that if I want new limbs for my modern PSA, I can just order them and they will fit.  If I wanted new limbs for my old SA, I would have to send it in so they could shape the new limbs to fit.  I'm sure there are other differences beneath the surface as new materials or adhesives become available, but you would have to ask them about that.  I believe my old SA is the same quality as a new PSA.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks much. I sent an email to BW but didnt want to miss out on the sale if it takes them a few days to get back

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
The fit difference is purely cosmetic in my experience. But I very much prefer the pre-2000(CNC) limbs. They changed the limb shape to make it easier for the CNC machines. Most of my bows were newer handles with older limbs because I like the grip shape of the newer handles and the limb shape of the old limbs-pre 2000 limbs.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
The "P" series bows have phenolic in both the riser and the limbs. My old SA felt lighter in the hand than my newer PSA did. I prefer a lighter mass weight and liked the old bow better. As far as performance, I shot the same arrow/broadhead configuration from both bows and didn't see any noticeable performance difference. Toby at Black Widow told me that they will make a new bow without the phenolic on request. Not 100% sure of how much difference there is in total mass weight, but I know that my bow should could tell a difference! ;<)
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Sale?
Is there a sale on Widows?
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©