3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WOW! What a rocket launcher.  (Read 553 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
WOW! What a rocket launcher.
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
A year ago, when I knew I was a couple of months away from shoulder replacement surgery (surgery date 11/7/16) and I parted ways with some of my collection of Bear recurves and Bear TDs so I could move down in draw weight.

I picked up two Centaur bows, a Chimera and a Triple Carbon Elite -- both 43# at 29". They are amazing bows and they shoot an arrow like my 50# bows did. I am impressed with the performance gains in the design of these hot-rod R/D bows.

I also picked up a pair of Border aftermarket limbs for one of my few remaining Bear TD risers. These limbs are 42# at 28" -- I draw close to 29" so perhaps they are 44# or so. These limbs launch a 525 gr arrow like is is being shot out of a rocket launcher. That's well over 12 gpp and it is shooting like Bear limbs 10 pounds heavier. I am so impressed with the performance of these limbs -- they are in a class by themselves.

I am hunting with the Centaurs now, but I am fiddling with the Border a bit. It is bare shaft tuned to shoot right on the money, and I am hearing some post-shot limb hum that is not coming from the string. The Border limb tips are very skinny and I am convinced the low-pitched hum is from them. I am not worried about it very much. By the time the hum becomes evident the arrow is already in the target.

Just wanted to do a shout out on the impressive Centaur longbows and the Border limbs for the Bear TD -- I am impressed.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: WOW! What a rocket launcher.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
I agree about the Border limbs. Have shot them a coupe times. Not shot the Centar bows. Looked at the triple carbon model as my "forever" bow but not sure if I would live long enough for delivery!!
 To bad Border doesn't make the Bear limbs anymore. To much variation in risers. Would have to be custom fitted according to what I read. The ILF limbs are as good or better.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
Borders are definitely smokers.  Not loud, but the several sets I tried did definitely have a tuning fork post shot quality to them.  Not my cup of tea.

Centaurs, now those are special.  Top of the heap.  You could own a loaded Centaur and never want for another bow, hands down.

But we all know the reality of that notion.  LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:13:00 AM »
Ozyclint made a post in regards to this noise. His solution was a latex tubing which he put on the limbs tips. I liked the idea as it works like a protector at the same time. Needless to say it takes out the twang as well.

On my Border Black Douglas BB2 it wasn't so much a noise but more a humm after the shot.

Here is a photo of my bow with the tubing installed with about 1/2-3/4" over hang.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Thought this was going to be a Kim Jong-un thread.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
LOL
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 58 46@28
Black widow pch 58, 40@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by kadbow:
Thought this was going to be a Kim Jong-un thread.
Yeah hope Jim Neaves has a better since of humor than Kim Jung!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
In my opinion, a Centaur bow is worth the time it takes to get one from Jim Neaves. Jim's bows are smooth, quiet, fast and stable. And, if you want a beautiful bow, Jim can make your bow beautiful -- he offers lots of custom features.

I have two Centaur bows and they are very impressive -- and Jim Neaves is a terrific guy to work with in the design and making of a custom bow. With my Triple Carbon Elite, the grip wasn't "just right" for my hand. Jim offered to alter it for free but I insisted on paying him at least a little something. It is "just right" now.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
A number of folks have dropped draw weight with no loss in energy. The latex tubing tip works. Hope ever one has a safe,productive season.>>>---> Ken

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
Good Luck this season Joe!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
Off topic but Andreas, where did u get the kuiu fletch cover?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks, Andreas, for the photo of your Border bow. I remember Ozy's post about using a bit of rubber tube to reduce the limb tip vibration, and it is instructive to see a photo.

Charlie, best of luck with your season as well. I love Wisconsin -- one of the truly beautiful parts of the upper midwest.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©