3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The best shot I didn't take! (pics)  (Read 351 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
The best shot I didn't take! (pics)
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
This past weekend, we headed back to the swamps of south Georgia where we had such a great time with Trad Bowhunters of Ga friends the week before.  Had been covered up with pigs only to get busted drawing on one herd and the fickle wind giving me up on another.  Just couldn't catch up with the other two hogs.  What a difference a week makes.  5 of us couldn't find much fresh sign, let alone the critters that made it.  Nonetheless, hard to beat stalking the river bottoms of Georgia for 3 days with your stick and string buddies.  The Ocmulgee is a beautiful river:
   :thumbsup:  

Acorns were everywhere, and we searched the bottoms to sloughs to oxbow lakes for the other white meat.

Seems as if the only successful kills came during the stump shoots at camp.

One the third day, I'd hunted for 4 hours, working from the pines down through the drainages with nothing to show.  Even the one shot on a squirrel only netted him a dirt shower from a one inch low Judo point.  Late in the morning I reached the banks of the river.  I doffed my binos and pack to snack and enjoy the scenery.  Maybe even try taking some of those artsy photos of El Cheapo, my homemade longbow.

While checking out the photos I look up to see a deer walking down the sandbar on the other side of the river.  I grab the binocs to enjoy the sighting.  Turns out to be a 5 point heading for a drink...no, wait.  He's wading out into the river - he's coming across!  I grabbed the bow and head down stream to cut him off.  After less than a 100 yards I hit a steep banked drainage.  I figure this is the low spot on the outside bend of the river, he's sure to land here.  Nope, he comes up about 35 yards on the other side.  I watch him shake off the water and browse for a few minutes and he works toward the slough.  Amazingly he comes straight toward me and angles down the bank just over 15 yards away.  I'm in good cover with an open shot as he catches a little scent on the fickle breeze.  He lifts his nose and checks towards me and then scents the opposite way.  The perfect shot.  Luckily for him I had only one buck tag left for the year and simply watched with a grin as he turned and headed back the other way.  A few minutes later I slipped a Judo on the string and barely missed a leaf where he'd been standing moments before.  Nothing left to do but head back to the campfire and share the story of one lucky buck.    :campfire:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The best shot I didn't take! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Satisfaction sometimes comes from just knowing.

Nice shooting, even if was just a leaf.

Good luck finding the buck you want.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
That there is some pretty scenery.  I'm missing the southern woods something terrible.  The desert is no place for me, can't wait to get home in a few days.  

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Good story and good photos, Steve.  Thanks!

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Great story and Pics SOS.  Are you familiar with a place called Ocmulgee Banks?  They keep trying to sell me a 5 acre building site for $20.

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Opps.  That should have been $20K.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Cool pics Steve. Hard to believe the world record bass came from the slew in the picture if you are where I think you were.
   Howard , Ocmulgee banks is a cool place in a very good location.Some of the best hunting in the state around there on some very good public land.RC

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Howard, based on the website I saw, $20k would be a steal.  Their site shows lots at $200k.  Looks like the type of idea I've thought about organizing with the folks having 5 acre homesights with access to 2300 acres of "wilderness" area.  Nice plan.  That is right off the main highway south of Atlanta, partially catering to that crowd.  That is farther up the Ocmulgee, but very close to some of the best big bucks in Georgia.  Also a fair number of WMA's in the region along with several trad hunters.  If it was a little closer to Augusta, I might think about it.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
RC,

That's the #2 lake on the SW corner.  No gators chased me, although there was an otter kicking around.  No pigs, although real close to where I got into pigs the first time I met up with TBG three years ago.  Have enjoyed the group ever since.  Steve

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
somewhere back there chris saw a ten point and some pigs the week we camped.good walk to it for sure.RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Great pics Steve...thanks for sharing!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
SOS.  You're correct.  My brain missed a gear.  $20K was the required minimum down payment.  I'm glad to hear it's in a good area.  Maybe if 'retirement plan B' (that would be Mega Millions)pays off I can think about it.  The wife doesn't like winter in Michigan so maybe there's still a chance to move south.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©