3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Congrats Greg.

Ron, This is your year!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 06:24:00 AM »
A couple of does blew past me at around 4:30. Walked home at 6:10 to find 5 of them eating acorns under the oak on my lawn. You just have to laugh sometimes. Anyhow, the temps are a bit more cooperative and maybe we'll start seeing more deer. I agree with whoever said better a longer late season than the early October opener. Wondering what the crossbow menace will bring......

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Sat again this morning from 6:15 to 10am without seeing a deer. Last deer I saw was opening morning when I saw 2 does with fawns. Walked out of the woods to my truck at 10am and while putting my stuff in the truck looked up and on the hill overlooking the homeowners driveway stood 3 doe looking down on me. Like huntryx said, " you just gotta laugh".
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Good Luck to y'all!  Congrats to Drew, Alex, Marvin & Greg!  Well Done!
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
More heatwave, but some movement in the AM. Mostly chipmunks during the evening sit.

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
I had a little 6pt munching on beechnuts underneath my stand this morning for 5 minutes but I let him walk. I've got plenty of time to hunt and the rut won't get hot for at least another 10 days.Sarting to see more scrapes already but man is it hot quickly in the morning. I just don't believe they're moving much in these temps.Good luck everyone.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Was lucky enough to take a small 6pt yesterday morning with my longbow. I believe he came in pushing a doe around (I say believe cause I could see to deer chasing each other through the pines in front of me then he broke off and fed my way and the other turned and left).
 It took a while for him to feed in as there was plenty of acorns between him and me to keep him occupied. He fed straight in till he reached 5 yards   :(   not a fan of shots that close from a stand. When he turned the arrow was on its way.
The shot ended up being back and I was sure I punched liver. The string tracker sang for what seemed like an eternity then just stopped, didn't slow down just stopped. I gave it an hour then got down and checked the arrow. Sure enough looked like a bad shot and the string had been cut off by the broadhead    :scared:   so I backed out and gave him six hours before going back.
When me and my brother headed back in we took up the track on the string tracker. Now I don't know if you guys have tracked through pine needles before but it's rough! Thankfully the string tracker kept us in the right direction and after a 100 yards I saw his belly infront of us. The string tracker had pulled out of the deer 10 yards from where he lay. The shot was back but ended up severing the artery under the back bone he was dead 30 seconds after the shot and only made it 140 yards. Still glad I waited though.
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that string tracker, it was my first hunt with one and I love it. I definitely need to practice that shot more as the bow is so long I know I must have gotten out of form for an angle like that.
Hope I cools down soon and we'll be back at it next weekend. Best of luck to the rest of you
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Glad you found him.......   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
Congrats Greg!   :clapper:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Congrats Greg, how about a couple pictures.   :)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
congrats Greg
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I used photobucket until they went screwy and haven't figured out the whole picture thing since. Happy to pass them along to someone who can.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Greg, email a couple to me and I'll post them for you. Fred

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Congrats Kopper.

I took a small buck myself this morning.  I've been seeing bigger but he offered himself up with a standing 12 yard broadside and I didn't want to embarrass him.  ;-)  Finally got to see how my three-blade Mowoc Dots work (launched from a Red Wing Hunter of 49# +/- on Douglas fir shafts).  Dropped in 150 yards . . . but little blood trail.

Jury is still out.  Did a LOT of lung damage but I hit him high and he bled inside.  Wasn't until he started to cough that I had a trail.  I tracked the disturbed leaves, not the blood.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Congratulations Charlie nice deer!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Here's a pic of Greg and his deer........

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Congratulations Greg and Charlie!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Congrats Charlie I,m glad you spared him a life long embarrassment and probably being shunned by the rest
of the herd lol.

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Despite the heat I did see some movement last night but it was late; just before and just after legal time.I had a big doe go by at 6pm and about 10mins later I saw a nice 8pt heading my way.I wasn't in a tree with alot of background and at 40yds I think he saw me as he stopped, stared,and and turned around.I gave him a couple minutes and climbed down.Walking out I turned a corner by a field edge and almost walked into 2 bucks working a scrape.A small 6 and I believe the same 8pt.Spooked them good.I'll give that spot a break and try it again in a few days.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
Congratulations Charlie and all.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©