3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting pants and more ?  (Read 811 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting pants and more ?
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Looking to purchase some good hunting pants and was hoping to get the some good recommendations.

I will be hunting Kodiak AK. in Nov. and the weather conditions are wet, cold and windy. But will also be doing a ton of climbing. I was there last year and did not have the right gear. So I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I have a ton of wool base layer so I would need something to work with that.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting pants and more ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm headed to Kodiak as well this late October and I was told to go with Sitka Timberline pants. That is what I bought and while I haven't used them in the field yet, I love them. But then again I love everything they make.

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Check out Kuiu. I have their attack pants and absolutely love them. They have a bunch of different pants to choose from for multiple applications. Check out their website or give them a call and tell them what hunt you're going on and they'll get you set up.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I'm headed to Kodiak as well this late October and I was told to go with Sitka Timberline pants. That is what I bought and while I haven't used them in the field yet, I love them. But then again I love everything they make.
I was looking at those pants. The local B-pro has them and Im going to try them on.

Are you going with an outfitter?

Gilbert.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by gatradbow:
Check out Kuiu. I have their attack pants and absolutely love them. They have a bunch of different pants to choose from for multiple applications. Check out their website or give them a call and tell them what hunt you're going on and they'll get you set up.
Thanks was looking at those as well.

Gilbert

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Attack pants are awesome.

They will pull threads in briars n thorns though. But I still love them.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »
Sitka Timberline pant have water proof seatwhich will be nice for sitting and glassing on wet mossy ground. The Sitka mountain pant may also be a similar option. They are not quite as heavy as Timberline but may be better used for other type of hunting ie elk or mule deer. I used the MP for multiple weks in Alaska this fall hunting moose. They worked well. Also, my air pad mattress did not hold air on my hunt, so I had to sleep on my extra cloths and pulled the knee pads out of the mountain pant, placed them in my underwear on my hips to help ease the bruising of hips after sleepping on my side on hard rocky ground. Good luck on trip, Mike

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
If I was in wilderness w one choice = Timberline. Virtually Bulletproof!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Amicus, I'm going with some other members of The Professional Bowhunter Society. I'd listen to Mike Mitten. He's got the experience and also turned me to the Sitka clothing. Best of luck out there!

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
Just got back from a wilderness pack hunt in Idaho. The Sitka Timberline pants are awesome. They shed a lot of water, are warm and comfortable and the knee and seat protective pieces are great as you will no doubt be kneeling and sitting on dirt and sometimes mud and they will protect you well.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
I hunted Kodiak a couple of years ago - same hunt Jon is going on. I ended up wearing First Lite rain gear nearly the entire trip. Good quality rain gear would be my first priority. First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu all offer great options.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Whip, I'm ready for that as well. I ended up picking up a set of barely used Sitka rain gear. Good stuff!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
My timberline pants gets used every year.  I like the waterproof seat and knees, along with the suspenders that came with them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
I just got back from Kodiak a few weeks ago, plan to live in your rain gear pants. I used Sitka and also had a pair of first lite. My Sitka have a soft face on them with a monolithic PU backing, they stay dry but are quiet and don't feel like your wearing a plastic bag.

First lite uses Cocona PU films, they should also stray dry. KUIU you'll have to look close, most of their fabrics are Toray and alot of their rain gear is either just DWR treated or coated... a separate membrane is the way to go in my opinion.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your advise. Have a pair of Sitka Mountain pants on order.

What are you thoughts on gaiters? Which pair?

Last year I used a kelty style pack frame and bag. It worked out great but just very heavy. Any suggestions for a pack?

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
"What are you thoughts on gaiters? Which pair?"

Love my Kuiu Gaiters,Have used them for years,they work great.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by IdahoCurt:
"What are you thoughts on gaiters? Which pair?"

Love my Kuiu Gaiters,Have used them for years,they work great.
Thanks

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
In my opinion anything first lite, sitka, or KUIU would serve you well in that environment. Each fit me slightly different so it wouldn't hurt to find a place to try them on to see which is your preference. Goodluck this November!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Kuiu gaiters are great. I use mine often.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks, Gentlemen

A sinner saved by Grace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©