3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Really short recurves.  (Read 423 times)

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
Really short recurves.
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
Just wondering about little suckling recurves. I think they look cool but I have never seen one in person...they had been around for a while idk if I they are currently being made? 44" long recurve seems to have a big advantage to me in the woods but they just aren't very common I just wonder if it's lac of exposure or fear of shooting such a short recurve. Thoughts?

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Really short recurves.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I use a 48" SuperMag during turkey season. They are quite capable of shooting well; they just aren't quite as forgiving.

**when you post from IMGUR please remember to delete the "s" in your link from "https" to read "http"...Trad Gang server cannot resize your pics when the "s" is present.***

Thanks!    :thumbsup:
SWA Spyder

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
But deer season you change? I know everyone says short bows are harder to shoot but deer hunting most of us are 20 yards or well closer! So why not take advantage of the compact designs

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Been wanting to try one.  But I'd be inclined to do it Eastern style with a thumb ring.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Short recurves remind me of a short girl I used to date many, many years ago.  Cute, curvy, loud and not very forgiving.   :rolleyes:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
I have one and it's a nice little bow. Mine needs new limbs now though and I'm hoping I didn't wait too long as I stopped seeing his ads in the Traditional Bowhunter not long ago.

Do a search here for them, there is some info about them from the past.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
I think Mike Miller from Crooked Stic has one. I can't say anything about it,but i have two longbows,and a 61" recurve and they are all good shooters and very good craftsmanship.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Call Jess Stewart, Sierra Blanca Bows. I have a 54" recurve and it is a shooter. His bows are priced right.

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:00 AM »
Rodney wright makes a 46", It's pretty much an improved Herter's perfection.  Doesn't stack it hits a wall past 28" though.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cherry Tree:
But deer season you change? I know everyone says short bows are harder to shoot but deer hunting most of us are 20 yards or well closer! So why not take advantage of the compact designs
Because I don't hunt out of a doghouse type blind during deer season so I can use a longer bow - might as well take any advantage one can.
SWA Spyder

Offline Cheezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Picked up a mid 70s Darton Magnum from craigslist, and I plan on using it depending on tree stand setup. Fun little shooter, but not very forgiving and it definitely stacks

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Okay that makes sense and a good reason! I see advantages in the short bows in different ways I guess. Up close ground hunting without blinds and in trees etc.

Not looking for short bow recommendations just discussing really short recurves and  particularly brought up little sucklings because the are one of the shortest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©