3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weight / Broadheads  (Read 1356 times)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weight / Broadheads
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
I just booked a hunt to Namibia for 2018 and looking for recommendations on arrow weight / broadheads, etc.
I am shooting Gold Tip 7595 shafts with my 70 lb recurve.  I have several 125 gr. Zwikee (double bevel heads).  Also bought a few Rocky Mt Cutrouth 200 gr. single bevel heads to try.  With brass inserts and the Rocky heads I am about 600 grs.  The Zwikee would be somewhat lighter.  What would you recommend.  Also looking for hunting list for the trip - what I should take and Not take.  Will be hunting the plains spieces for 8 days.  Also need info about camera, etc.  Is the go-pro worth the cost.  How about a good bow case for the trip to protect the take down and arrows?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weight / Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
With your setup I'd use any broadhead I wanted. That 600 gr. arrow should be blazing with your bow. I wouldn't be afraid to add a little extra weight.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
I have a friend that's a serious hunter and he by far prefers his I phone and mount to his Go Pro.Charlie's right you have the horsepower just a solid head will do.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks - sorry to all, I didn't think this posted, so I re-posted the message.  
The 600 grains is with the 200 gr. Rocky Mountain.  Using the Zikwee (125 grs) would mean a lighter arrow.  I like the Rocky Mountain head, but having trouble sharpening the single bevel.  The Zwikee is easy to sharpen and have shot them for years, but they are double bevel and lighter.
Would also like recommendations for what to take along and type of bow case for the flight and 2 dox arrows.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
You will be fine with your set up
On my August 2017 Namibian safari I shot a blue wildebeast, a HUGE gemsbok (weighted 600 pounds wich is very big in unfenced places), a monster springbok, a red hartebeest and 2 gold medal warthog with 600 gr arrow out of 57 # Big Foot Sasquatch recurve. Got 2 holes on all game but one warthog on steep quartering angle far shot and the blue wildebeest with broadheads stuck in opposite shoulder bone. I mainly used Magnus 160 gr broadheads and old all steel muzzy phantom 220 gr 4 blades. I wish I could post some pics but since the photobucket wreck I don't know how to.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
I strongly suggest you go with the 200gr Cutthroat broadhead. Check out the photos of a Cutthroat penetrating steel. The dent to the side of it was a Zwicky Black Diamond broadhead that shattered upon impact.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Hmmmm... That's not a Zwickey?
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
That looks like a Grizzly head.  Peter Capstick recommended to wear sneakers not boots because they were lighter, quieter, and you could feel things before you step on them. He also said if you are going to wear shorts, do not wear socks because they collect all manner of stickers and burrs.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Gentlemen:  Thanks for all the information.  I really appreciate it.  Yes, I purchased 1 dozen Cut Throat 200 gr. heads.  I don't know if that will be enough.  Thinking about buying another dozen.  Wow, they are expensive, but sure don't want to run out when in Africa.  I was hoping that 600 gr arrows and 70 lb bow would be enough.  I really didn't want to go any heavier.  Now just making lists of things I need and should take along.  Just purchased a good SKB gun case.  It is deep and will hold two bows plus my extra limbs.  If anyone can think of anything special I should be doing of taking, please let me know.
Thanks!!!

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
Damn! 2 dozen cutthroats? Save some for the rest of us!

Obviously having good ammo is important. But won't you be able to retrieve most of these heads and resharpen?

I'd get some cheaper heads that are easy to sharpen as a secondary option. Maybe some zwickey deltas or grizzlys. I keep some zephyr sasquatches around because I can sharpen them in 2 seconds. But they definitely arent Africa grade.

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Be ready for the circus if you fly through Joburg to get to Namibia. An SKB gun case attracts attention and a payoff here and there may be required to get your gear.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
Chuck:
Now you have me nervous about my bow being in a gun case.  
Can you give any suggestions regarding this?

I agree 2 dozen broadheads are a lot and I thought the same thing, that I should be able to recover the original dozen I have purchased and resharpen them.  However, what if I lost some of them and there I sit with animals in site and no broadheads.  I do have several Zwickee 2 blade
Eskimo heads, but they would be much lighter in weight.  I guess they would be better than nothing and much cheaper as well.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Get some steel inserts for those Eskimos. You should be able to get them to ~200 gr easily. A quick search shows that a glue on eskilite is 110gr. Add a 100gr steel insert and your at 210. Should be close enough if everything tunes well with the 200 gr heads.

Just heat up the heads and pull out the standard aluminum insert. Clean the heads out a little. Then glue in the steel ones.

Or just buy more zwickeys but glue ons then add the inserts. Or just buy some 200 gr grizzlies  ;)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Good thoughts.  I have a lot of the 125 gr. Zwikee 2 Bld Eskimo heads (double bevel) on hand.  With the steel insert they should be close in weight to the 200 gr, maybe just a little over. They are easy to sharpen and much cheaper for backups to the Rocky Mountain Cut Throat heads.  
Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
I have Cutthroats and use a product called staysharp...a small lightweight jig to hold it in a good angle to sharpen.  I can get them on the upper end of shaving sharp using that, a good diamond hone and a small leather strop.  They are inexpensive and small and lightweight.

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
I use the 125 grain Zwickey Eskimo heads with a 75 grain steel insert for all of my hunting.

This is my go to set up, and works for everything I hunt.

Not too bad for a little 45# Longbow, and Beman 500 arrows. Total 550 Grain Arrow, give or take.

Blows right through the deer.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks Bill - I have quite a few Zwikee Eskimo heads.  Think I will mount some of the steel inserts in them and see what weight I come up with.  Currently I have 7595 Gold Tip shafts with 100 gr. brass inserts and 200 grain Rocky Mountain Cut Throat heads for a total of 600 grains coming out of my 70 lb recurve.  They shoot good, but I notice they start dropping a little when shot at 30 yards compared to my lighter setup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©