3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Great Blood Trailing Tip  (Read 760 times)

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Great Blood Trailing Tip
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks is wrong. Like most senior citizen bowhunters, I wear reading glasses for close range work of 12-24". The ones I buy are 2.50X. They work great for seeing details. I don't know what I'd do without them, but they are too powerful for blood trailing. Recently, I bought a pair of 1.25X. What a difference! I can see the gound, grass and leaves so much better now with the 1.25X! I now have three pair of 1.25X that I picked up at Dollar Tree for a buck each. I now carry one in my pack and two spares in my truck. I'm looking forward to putting them to good use and highly recommend other old geezers to give them a try. You can't go wrong for a buck...no pun intended!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Great Blood Trailing Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
absolutely agree - Gene I started using these in earnest 10 years ago - and I use my Fenix even in daylight - helps sail to the end of a bloodtrail!!!!
<><
<------------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip Gene. I could have used a pair last week. Found myself squinting just a little too much.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
Thats a good reminder.  I forgot I wanted to put a pair in my pack. (I got my map out last week and couldn't read it!) Fortunately I wasn't lost...just confused. I didn't used to need glasses, it's hard to get used to keeping them on me.
Last month I picked up a new pair of readers in the airport that have 3 different powers and focal lengths.  Surprisingly they work really well. Good for computer  and desk use.
Tedd

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Why I wear Bifocals
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks Gene, I started wearing cheater's a couple of years ago. I'm going to pick up a few pair of the 1.25s and give them a try. Appreciate the tip. Hope you have a great season.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Yep.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
You're lucky.  

I wear glasses anytime I want to see more than 5" in front of my nose.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  
This old fart uses his monocular focused just a few feet away to track and blood trail .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
What do you do when the leaves are reddish color? Well carry a small pump sprayer with H2O2.  It has many uses, including reacting with fresh or dried blood. If it looks like blood, use the spray.

Hydrogen peroxide is the simplest peroxide (a compound with an oxygen–oxygen single bond). It is used as an oxidizer, bleaching agent and disinfectant. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide, or "high-test peroxide", is a reactive oxygen species and has been used as a propellant in rocketry.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Great idea Gene!  God gave me the gift of sight back 3 years ago with a great surgeon doing cataract surgery and laser for glaucoma.  I now see things i never knew existed.  I never will see well out of my right eye so have learned to shoot lefty.  With great eyesight in only one eye i wear safet glasses in the woods ay all times.  I wish i could find them over the counter w 1.25 bifocals.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
Thank you for the tip.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
That's interesting and it goes in line with what the eye doctor told me. The strength of your prescription will work absolutely perfect only at a given distance.

So your 2.5 work perfect at a foot away and the 1.25 work perfect at 5 feet away. Makes perfect sense if you think about it but I would never have thought of it either.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
I wear 1.25X for regular reading. Blood trailing is harder now because I can't see good enough without them, but then have to get real close to the ground with them!!!!

Bisch

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Make sure you get a hard case of some sort if you keep them in your truck or your pack or they wont be around long.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
So far my 2X readers seem to work ok. I'm sure I still have a few 1.25's that I haven't sat on yet around. I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
I see just as well as I did 50 years ago...those folks at the DMV can shove that road sign reading machine..and no I'm not in denial or early on-set "oldtimers" or "long to get ahard with".  On second thought I'll stick a set in the pack...it's not like they're not laying everywhere because, like I said, I don't need them!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
The focal distance is the problem for me. Readers, no matter what strength, only focus for me at about 10-12". Beyond that, they make things worse. Even computer screen distance is better without them than with. I don't know what I need. Ha.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
Great tip !
Thanks
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
Like bow tuning, everything is relative to our particular style or need.

1.25 vs. 2.5 makes some good sense...

For me it is the bending over to blood trail thta wrecks my arthritic back...peepers aren't the issue, but with a far sighted stigmatism, I have some with what doc said was 1/4 diopter (???) correction for distance that help real well. Reading is for sure 1.75-2.0 depending on distance...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©