3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got it done. First deer ever, the hardest way I could.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline cchoward

• Trad Bowhunter
Got it done. First deer ever, the hardest way I could.
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
I don't comment a whole lot.  Maybe three times since I discovered this site about four years ago.  But I have learned so much and owe a lot of today's success to this site and all the wisdom offered by its members.  

So, anyway.  This is my third season hunting.   I've missed a few deer and wounded one in the previous two seasons (worst day ever, but another story altogether).  I actually missed two doe's on my first two hunts this season (in my part of PA archery started 9/16).  Today, all that changed.  

I was on the ground, on heavily pressured public land, with my old 50 lb Bear Polar ( a bit more at my almost 30" draw), and got my first deer ever, a buck no less.  Not a monster, a smallish, hardly 6 pointer, but an indescribable trophy for me.  I have some pictures but have no idea how to post if someone could give me a hand.  Also, if there's interest, it was a decent story, but I can be a bit wordy, fair warning.
Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got it done. First deer ever, the hardest way I could.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
Woohoo, congrats!!!!!!!

:clapper:    :clapper:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
Congratulations! We like pictures and wordy. Bring it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
Congrats!!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Congratulations that's awesome!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
Love to hear the stories!!! And see the pics!!!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
Chris,

Sent you a PM.

Congrats!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Waiting for it....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Congrats!! Tell the story, and I'll help you post pics if you need me to. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Offline Roy Schmidt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Hell yeah!!!! Let's hear the story!! Congrats brother.

Roy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Do it.  Show us and tell us.  Especially what you felt as it was going on and as you found your deer.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »
Here are the pics! Congrats again, and great shot.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Nice deer and good shooting! Sometimes it takes awhile to connect on an animal. There is a huge difference between shooting at targets and shooting at an animal. You've broke the ice now!! Congrats>>>-------->Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
Congrats and great shooting..
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Congrats! Still trying for my first archery deer.

Jeremy

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
Great looking buck!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Congratulations on taking a fine looking buck.  You done good!
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline cchoward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
So as I said, this is my third season.  I've come a long way and have put in hours of research, scouting, and stand time.  Despite all my efforts, I still managed to muff two gimme shots due to adrenaline and nerves on my first two hunts this season.  Oh well, better two clean misses than a wounded deer.  

So this morning I set out to a ground blind I had built last year and had yet to visit this year.  It's about a dozen or so yards from a small stream surrounded by fairly open hardwoods creating a lane about 50 yards wide between to thick nasty pine thickets.  It's not much, just a blow down with some limbs stacked up.  

I reached my spot around 7am, cleared the ground in front of me and set up on my chair.  Within minutes I could see movement and a flash of white in the thick pines across the stream from me.  I let out a soft grunt on my call and watched as three deer ran away as if I had shot a gun at them... Oh well, it was still early.

Around 8:45, after watching some squirrels and listening to the hickory and walnuts hit the ground I heard a distinct shuffling behind me.  I slowly turned my eyes, then head, towards the noise.  A train of 6 does began exiting the thick brush behind me around 15- 20 yards away.  The lead doe was big bodied and definitely the oldest, the next three were last springs fawns and the last two were somewhere in between.  They hooked wide but upwind of my blind.  The large lead doe stopped in a clear shooting lane broadside, I got to about half draw and thought better of the shot, it was probably a little over 20 yards and sitting down, was outside of my comfort zone.  The 3 fawns followed directly behind, while the last two meandered towards me.  The very last doe stopped at a perfect quartering away angle completely unaware of me and began to feed.  I picked a spot and started to draw.  As I was almost at full draw I heard rustling and the falling of heavy hooves from behind me out of sight.  They were getting really close.  By the sound of it I thought it was going to crash through my blind.  I let off the string and waited until the source of the noise came into view.  Between the propped up limbs I saw antlers, counted three points and put tension back on the string.  The buck cleared the last of the limbs at the back of the blind, walked a few yards and stopped, quartering away, staring down the does.  I had already focused on a spot and had hit anchor just as he had come to a stop.  I don't really remember the release, but it was clean.  At least clean enough for a less than five yard shot.  I saw the arrow disappear up to the fletching exactly where I had looked and watched in disbelief as the buck ran about 20 yards, then slowed to an unsteady walk only to collapse within sight.  

I sat there shaking.  Noticed the doe's had not run off and thought, only briefly, maybe I could shoot one of them too... They meandered around, looking over towards their fallen friend, then occasionally to me, until I finally stood up and sent them running.  

Even though I could clearly see my deer, I still followed every drop of blood.  As I approached him, I had a wave of emotions, mostly relief, and happiness, with a touch of sadness and a lot of gratitude.  

I had never gutted a deer.  I'm proud to say that I managed the task with out spilling any nastiness or damaging any meat and it didn't take too long.  Which is good because the day was rapidly warming and forecasted to hit 80 degrees.  The drag on the other hand was rough.  I neglected to take my rope style tree strap that I use with my climber and just grabbed his antlers and dragged over fallen limbs and uneven ground.  The easiest way out of the woods and back to my vehicle was a trail bordering private property a few hundred yards from my position.  I approached and saw the owner tending his garden, I called out and asked if he minded if I dragged my deer through his nice smooth lawn instead of the woods, he said he'd do me one better and get his wheelbarrow!! After loading the deer in the back of my Jeep (cherokee) We talked for a few minutes, he had been at his house since 1949 and said he really appreciated me asking his permission since he's dealt with trespassers before.  Then he told me about a big 8 point skull he found that was sitting in his woodpile and offered it to me.  I graciously accepted.  

After leaving, I headed to a friends farm a few miles away, we got the deer quartered and taken apart and into the fridge.  I'll be heading there in the morning to process it!!!  I paid the older gentlemen's gift forward to my friend in return for giving me a place to/and teaching me to take apart and process the deer.  He was thrilled.  Don't worry, he'll be getting some meat as well.

I skinned out the skull and took it to a nearby taxidermist for a euro mount.  He's not huge but he'll be my proudest trophy for a long time.  And I'm sure he's delicious!!

All in all, one of the best days I've had in a long while.

Oh, I'm shooting an old (70's?) Bear Polar, 50lb @28 (I draw about 29.5, arrows are Goldtip traditionals .340 with 200 grain Grizzly single bevel broadheads up front.
Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©