3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Critter population management 2017-18 (Season Synopsis)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Critter population management 2017-18 (Season Synopsis)
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Been out of town for about a week, went out this morning and did see one deer for a brief couple seconds walking into the area rather then out of the area like expected...  Couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe, couldn't get a shot anyway as it was 40 yards away walking through the scrub...  That was the first deer I've seen at that set that didn't give me a shot opportunity.

Keeping after it, and hopefully I'll have a more interesting update soon.  But, looking at the tracks on the trail coming out this morning it seems like there are more deer around since Muzzle Loader season opened last week, and gun season opens tomorrow.  Tends to push them out of the "Gun" zones if they don't get shot, and more deer in the "Bow" zone.  

We'll see how it goes...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the story and congrats on your success. If you don't mind me asking what cover scent are you using? Sounds like what ever it is it is doing a good job.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
Was in the stand Saturday evening, and little after 5:00 I hear something coming my way directly towards me on the escape trail I’m watching...

I get ready, and see movement through the scrub and it’s black...  Then seen another bigger black critter about 15 yds behind the first... Figuring it was a group of hogs I stood and prepared for a shot...  

But, when the first one moved into my first shooting lane it wasn’t a hog!  It was a 100# or so Black Bear!  So I just watched as it moved down the trail...  the second one got to the first shooting lane and it was about a 200# Black Bear!  

Well, Black Bears are not on the “Critter” list to be taken out (season isn’t open now anyway) so they were safe from me.  Just watched them walk the trail and pass on by at 10 yards at their closest...  I was told at the Safety Briefing that there were Bears around, especially in the Bow Zone, but those were the first two I’ve seen while hunting this area...  Figure it was a Sow and a year old cub given they were traveling together...

Pretty neat to see, but also wish they weren’t hanging around the area at the same time...

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
11/5:  Been some rough hunting...  Very few critters seen while on stand, and haven’t loosed an arrow with purpose in quite a while...  But, that changed today...

No wind this morning, foggy, 59 degrees when I got into the stand.  The woods came to life without incident, but about 10:45 I heard movement near my second shooting lane, and it sounded big!  Replaced my arrow with the Big Jim Big-3 on the end for a 300 gr VPA Penetrator 1 1/4”...

Then like clockwork it cleared into my shooting lane at 18 yds, I hit anchor and the arrow was on the way!  Hit looked good, but the arrow stayed in it...  I could hear brush  rustling for about 8 - 10 seconds then all went silent...

71# Thunderstick MOAB, weighted Goldtip with the a-for-mentioned 300 gr VPA Penetrator...  I’ve never had an arrow stay in a critter with the Big-3, but with the shields on some of them big Hogs I always carry an arrow with the 2-blade Penetrator for the extra penetration...  Was a little worried about the arrow still in it...

Gave it the allotted time and got down and took up the trail.  Thankfully it was very short, and another critter down!

I’ll get pics up shortly...

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Here’s the pics...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Entrance...

Exit...

I think the ground slowed the arrow down to make it stay in her...      :D  

I also use the Penetrator as a Squirrel/practice arrow...  The thing is like a wood splitting wedge!  Tough as nails, and sharpens back easily...

Sorry for the hoax, but haven’t had a big game critter opportunity to share...  I’ll keep at it, and keep y’all in the loop...

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
LOL
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
:eek:    :bigsmyl:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Hehehe   :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I like that story.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:
Hehehe    :archer:  
Actually missed, was trying for the head!    ;)

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Nice!!!!
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Went out of town again for about a week for Continuing Education, and visit our oldest daughter at Oklahoma State...  But got out this AM, low 40’s very slight wind from the North...  Got into stand about an hour before sunrise.  The woods came to life without incident and nothing seen but squirrels...

As you now know, I’m not above shooting a squirrel if the timing is right...  I hunted until 10:30, didn’t see anything but the a for mentioned squirrels...  Was getting ready to get down for the morning and I didn’t have a practice/squirrel arrow with this bow so I wasn’t going to take a practice shot today...  But...  

Had the bow tied up and ready to lower when I seen a squirrel heading directly at me.  Untied the bow and grabbed an arrow out of the quiver and got it on the string without spooking the squirrel.  It was basically under my stand now, so I slowly stood and was able to get turned around to get a shot as it was going away at maybe 8-10 yds actually quartering to...  Arrow went where I was looking, directly into the shoulder and almost functionally eviscerated it right there...

Entrance...

Exit...

Black Widow 58”, PSA III, 74#, 250 gr VPA Terminator 1 1/4” on the end of a weighted Gold Tip.  

Little side note to this story...  A friend and I had a “discussion” after I bought that MOAB from T last Summer...  The crux of the conversation was he couldn’t understand why I need/have that many Bows...  He has one “Bow”, well Crossbow... Technically I don’t “need” that many Bows, and told him I have that many because I can make meat with any of them...  He didn’t believe that I could, so I’m switching Bows after each harvest...  A little out of my normal season, and a little more shooting then I normally do in season, which isn’t a bad thing I guess...  

Right now I’ve got 7 Bows, and an extra set of limbs for one of them.  Next is my last MOAB...  Stay tuned, hopefully I’ll start seeing some Big Game rather then continuing the squirrel carnage...

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Keep it coming!  Awesome season so far!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Poor internet service! Good luck the rest of season...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
You're going to need a bigger freezer..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Cool! Great shooting!

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowhunter4life:
Went out of town again for about a week for Continuing Education, and visit our oldest daughter at Oklahoma State...  

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

I did something similar to a tree rat with a bang stick that I forgot to remove the turkey choke from.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
I am impressed. You are hard on those little critters

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
Went out this morning, 36 degrees with no wind...  Got into the stand about an hour before sunrise.  On the way in I could hear critters moving about, sounded like chasing...  Got into the stand without spooking them out...  

Got to actual shooting light and I was able to start seeing glimpses of forms through the scrub, and it appeared to be a buck chasing a doe...  Now I have to make sure he has at least 4 points of 1” or more on one side to make him legal for me to shoot, and if he doesn’t have the goods I’d like to get a shot at the doe, in the essence of the hunt, decrease the critter numbers...

Well, this got put to the test of my eyesight pretty quick!  She came right down the trail I was watching, and it was difficult to see for sure she was even a doe.  But, at maybe 8 yds under my stand I could see that she was for sure a doe.  With her perfectly broadside at 8 yds I can see/hear him coming and make out he is a small “rack” buck so I roll the dice and wait for him to come in...  Another 20 yards closer I could make out his right side and I’m only seeing 3 points with the browtine...

Now, I’m straining hard to make out the left side and when he got to about where the doe was less than a minute ago I can see he has 4 points on that side!  Now I realize the actual position I’m in with a shot opportunity presented.  I’m standing, but so scrunched over from straining to see what I needed to see that I need to make a lot of movement with the buck literally in spitting distance...

Luckily the low light conditions work both ways...  And he was distracted by where his girlfriend went...  I was able to stand and get into proper position as he continued by...  A small mouth grunt stopped him at 15 yards broadside and the arrow was away...  Didn’t see the arrow at all, but heard the hit and seen his high hind leg kick and watched him run back the way he came in...  Then everything went silent for about 10 seconds, then I heard what sounded like a crash with a few short kicks from that same direction...

Nocked another arrow, sat down, and checked the time... 6:58...  Actual sunrise is at 7:13 today, so you get the full idea of the light conditions I was dealing with...  Now, I’m pretty sure he is down about 50 - 75 yards to my left and behind me, but I’m planning on continuing my hunt in case a doe wonders by and give him the requisite time to expire if he hasn’t already...

About 8:30 I hear footfalls coming directly at me, and I make out it is a Coyote coming through the scrub.  Normally I would be the first in line to let the air out of a song dog, but they are not on the legal shooting list on this property...  So, I proceed to scare him off as he was literally heading right to my deer...  so I pack up my stuff and get down from the stand and check out the situation...

Nice crimson coated arrow sticking in the dirt, and a fantastic blood trail that started right at the shot sight.  Leisurely walk following a 3 foot wide bloodtrail for about 60 yds to my buck.

That’s the exit hole, and the entrance is about 8” directly above it on the other side...  60” Thunderstick MOAB 68# with a Big Jim Big-3 on a weighted Gold Tip.  This is the biggest buck I’ve seen within the hunting zone since I started hunting it last year...  Now I’m Doe/Hog/Squirrel hunting...     :D

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Beautiful congratulations!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©