3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural ground blinds  (Read 885 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural ground blinds
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
With the understanding that for woodland critters elavated stands/saddles are good ways to hunt, but for some of us age takes those options away. So in heavy to moderate woods it seems that using natural blinds, over pop up blinds, may be the a reasonable path for this well into my seventies hunter. I use a Shrew bow, 56”, so bow length should not be a big issue. What have you successfully used and how does both wind and sent control work into the puzzle?
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural ground blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
There are many ways to make a ground blind.  I would suggest a book by G. Fred Asbell on Stalking and still hunting. It's excellent.

My most successful ground blinds have been on the edge of woods in a stand of golden rod.  Cut the center out, cut as small a shooting window as possible.  Or cut 2 windows in a V shape.  (you see them come by one, get ready, shoot as he passes the second window.)..

Brambles, brush, rocks, dirt mounds, large hay bails, large trees all work. Stay in the shadows.  And, scent is the same as always.  

A combo brush-in and rock berm behind me worked successfully at one location.  

Hunting from the ground is more challenging and more fun, in my estimation.

Plus, western Oregon has terrific cover for ground blinds - the best!

Good luck.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Good info above and I also like Fred's book.  
I've built some big ground blinds w concrete wire and t posts- then just add to them every year - dead logs and limbs etc.
Having a good backdrop seems to be very important
Tim B

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
More times than not, I rarely use a "blind"... The biggest thing for me, is a good runway in range, and a comfortable seat. Then, it's just a matter of sitting still!!!
I usually have 3-4 differant spots for morning, evening, wind, thermals, etc. If the wind shifts, I move. If I don't see anything for a while, I move. I see many tree stand hunters climb in their stands, then continue to sit there for hours, after the wind shifts? They're all "settled in" and it's easier then moving I guess.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
I always have some zip ties in my pack for ground blind construction

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Got away from treestands due to a knee injury and can't stand a popup blind. So I have been using natural ground blinds more and more. Really enjoy hollowing out a spot, getting brushed in, and wishing for the best.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
I sat on the ground the other day.  I went to a brand new area, that I've never hunted before.  I do see alot of deer in the area when I'm working.  I found a heavily used trail going around the NW corner of a 20' tall dirt berm.  I set up to the east of the corner of the berm.  I attached a seat to a tree, cut some balsam and maple boughs and hung them in front of me.  I had a doe at 15 yds.  Just as I was starting to draw, her fawn ran up and blocked my shot.  They both then walked behind a blow down and they won that round.  I was wearing a 3 D leafy suit top.  Hoping to get out this weekend and will be hunting from the ground in a natural blind.

Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
Wind direction and how reliable and stable is the key to successfully hunting on the ground. We prefer blinds made from ingredients found on location. We put more cover behind us than in front. We use pop ups when mosquitoes are abundant. Leafy coat full face and hands camo always. If the wind isn't right don't do it
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cory Mattson:
Wind direction and how reliable and stable is the key to successfully hunting on the ground. We prefer blinds made from ingredients found on location. We put more cover behind us than in front. We use pop ups when mosquitoes are abundant. Leafy coat full face and hands camo always. If the wind isn't right don't do it
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Cory, do you feel that wind direction will keep you from being busted even if you moved brush to set up cover?
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
No - gotta be very careful when trimming - cutting - and we do this ahead of time. We do NOT go into the woods and set up on sign as we would use a treestand in many cases. ALL our ground blinds are at least for the most part built ahead of time and we wait for the correct wind conditions to hunt it. And a 5 MPH wind is not good enough - at least not in my area. I want a front moving through - 8 mph minimum.

Deer will notice brush that has been moved that day and it will put them on edge and "looking" at a minimum. Avoid this by pre scouting - pre building - then you hunt a blind the deer are used to.

Good Hunting
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cory Mattson:
No - gotta be very careful when trimming - cutting - and we do this ahead of time. We do NOT go into the woods and set up on sign as we would use a treestand in many cases. ALL our ground blinds are at least for the most part built ahead of time and we wait for the correct wind conditions to hunt it. And a 5 MPH wind is not good enough - at least not in my area. I want a front moving through - 8 mph minimum.

Deer will notice brush that has been moved that day and it will put them on edge and "looking" at a minimum. Avoid this by pre scouting - pre building - then you hunt a blind the deer are used to.

Good Hunting
Cory, thanks that is the info that I was interested in. It just did not seem that you could just move around and then set up, cut and move stuff around for a hide, without prior effort. Thanks to all replies.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 12:23:00 AM »
Use natural materials from the area. This was one of my wife's favorite blinds. She stayed low behind cover and just raised up for this picture.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
I really like those types of set ups too Ron. I like to carry a pair of pruning shears with me and if I find a cut down cedar or pine like that I cut a hole right in the middle. Hardest part for me is sitting still!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
I really like those types of set ups too Ron. I like to carry a pair of pruning shears with me and if I find a cut down cedar or pine like that I cut a hole right in the middle. Hardest part for me is sitting still!

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Not only do I think natural ground blinds are a heck of a lot of fun to hunt out of and make, but I have also had the most success with them. Down here in South Texas, many of the areas I have hunted have ZERO trees for even thinking about hanging a stand in so you are left with two options - A store bought blind or create something yourself. Of course you can always brush in the store blind which most people do, but in my experience animals always seem to give those more attention.

An advantage to a brush blind is you can hunt it right away. If I'm setting up a pop-up I'll let it sit for at LEAST a few days before I hunt it.

I typically find the thickest patch of whatever that is close to where I am going to hunt and crawl into the middle of it. I'll see where my lanes are etc and then crawl back out and begin cutting my material from other plants and stacking them around my original location. Once I have it to the density I like, I'll cut my shooting lanes out.

From there, if it's an option, I'll even add some brush in-between my blind and the trail etc. for a sort of 3D line of sight effect.

Wind is crucial with these blinds though as you really have nothing that is going to keep your scent contained. For that reason I'll build multiple in one location if I am after a specific deer, or just multiple across the property so I can hunt no matter the wind.

As for scent control... I used to be very meticulous about it, now not so much. I'll wash my clothes in some unscented detergent and let them dry in the sun. Other then that I'm just careful about coffee, deodorant and that's about it.

Every hunt and hunter varies but I have been very successful with the above approach. I hope this helps a little bit! Good luck this season and I hope you give these blinds a try.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Years ago back when tree stands weren't legal we hunted out of natural blinds exclusively.

One of the best types when the ground was soft and allowed it was was a pit blind. It worked best in sandy ground where the digging was easy. A little brush around the hole and the blind was less noticeable to the deer.

You could dig a big hole for your whole body of just a hole for your feet and then sit on the edge with your feet in the hole. I killed a deer at 6 yards from that type of blind.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline sfh761

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
I've had good luck standing/sitting a few rows into standing corn with a view to runways along the edge. Good concealment and very little prep when you find the right place to put the wind in your favor. Sometimes all you need to do is break off a few corn leaves or knock over a stalk or two and you're in business.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©