3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes  (Read 739 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
I’ve always thought deer season didn’t really start till you made a couple mistakes, at least spooked 1 or 2, forgot your glove, something. Just came out to a place by the house and didn’t pay attention at all I guess because I should have realized that the group of mesquite and bois d’ arc trees I was approaching was perfect bedding cover. Just one doe but man did she high tail it through hip tall grass for about 600 open country yards before she ever stopped. All in about 30sec. Oh we.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Haaa, yep same with me behind the house. Seems I can't get out to a stand without at least one doe busting me before I get out of the yard..
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
To add insult to injury, as I walked out at dusk I saw one of the bucks ive been watching step out of the same cospe of trees and walk straight towards my truck. The trees are right on the border of the hunting land vs. public use area.

:banghead:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
To add insult to injury, as I walked out at dusk I saw one of the bucks ive been watching step out of the same cospe of trees and walk straight towards my truck. The trees are right on the border of the hunting land vs. public use area.

:banghead:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Things can only get better now.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
When I was a young pup I remember an adjunct professor who had been "out in the real world" and he told us that when we were applying for a job we should collect "No's".  If you get turned down - that's great.  Go out and get some more.

Deer hunting can be the same.  If you spend enough time trying eventually the angels will smile and it lines up.  Lord knows I have made my share of mistakes.

I consider it paying my dues.  The more time you spend at it the better your chances.  You just have to be there when the deer makes a mistake and you don't.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
I can hope and pray.

:pray:    :pray:    :pray:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
To be a successful bowhunter , many things have to go right, and it only takes one thing to go wrong to throw the whole game.

I usually have that one wrong thing with me! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Yep all the mistakes, close calls and mishaps are why I'm a bowhunter .
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
It seems to me... The Bucks we kill, provide a lifelong memory!
The ones we don't... Provide a lifetime of stories, that only get funnier, each time they're told!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm a gear dropper. Seems like things don't get rolling until I've dropped my number one arrow out of the tree or some other item. Use to irritate me to no end. Now I just accept it. Everything goes smoother with each passing day.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
Don't let the glove be a mind game...its only finger protection and not a release aid....I've killed plenty of animals when I left my glove...thanks to A.D.D.

Have fun!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
I mess up every hunt. Usually the same mistakes every time but I love going out and trying anyhow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept.  If I'm lucky each year I'll get up the learning curve before the season ends.  I've been at this awhile.  Each year I start out full of bight-eyed and bushy-tailed optimism.  I've corrected everything that went wrong the previous year and developed contingency plans for everything that could possibly go wrong this year.  It's just that said optimism usually cause me to grossly underestimate the number of possible things in that second set!  
  Case in point:I'm always a bit stunned at the folks that hunt out of tree stands but never practice from one (preferably standing and sitting). It's easier said than done to maintain all the aspects of consistent form that you've cultivated on the ground. And you can bet the farm, no matter how much you've practiced from your stand at the exact distance you expect the shot, the deer will be standing much closer to the base of your tree than you ever expected...don't ask how I know. I won't get into the debate of the ethics of the steep downward shot. There are folks who've dissected deer to prove the vitals are as wide from above as they are tall on a broadside shot....I'm not going there. The point is if you intend to take the shot, practice it. I did, but did not have the foresight to include the actual shooting lane I'd cut down through the mountain laurel which was conveniently framing the vitals. If I'd added such realism to my practice sessions I might have had the presence of mind to remember that line of sight is flat, arrow trajectory is not...and I wouldn't have taken the shot...and my arrow wouldn't have hit that branch...oh it's still just too painful to talk about!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
Yup, opening day on the first.  Got halfway to my stand and  realized I had everything but my bow.

Went back and got it, sat 2 hours, shot a nice big doe.  What a start.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
For me, it's like Charlie said, "Everything goes smoother with each passing day."
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
Have had 4 non-legal deer up close this season.
 Feeling confident, I was waiting for the first of 3 in a group to come just a bit closer so I could tell if they were legal.  Brush obscured their heads and they were about 30 yards away uphill.  I got impatient and took one more step their direction, only to snap a twig as I raised my foot, giving one of them time to look up and see my foot fall.  Busted.  

I went on a slow pursuit, following their tracks to see where they went & hoping to catch a glimpse to see if they were legal and to see where they went.  Confirmed all were does (not legal) and discovered one of the most heavily used deer trails I've seen in that area.  Guess where I'm heading this weekend?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:00 AM »
Show d up to a public place I hunt checked in and was driving down the road. That when I realized I didn’t have my bow in the truck. I turned around checked out went home and climbed back in bed. I was gone all of 20 minutes  ;)
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Beav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
Forgot my arrows on a recent hunt 1/2 hour from home. Stuff seems to happen!
A fast miss....is still a miss.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 12:15:00 AM »
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread. I really thought that I was the only one that these things happen to on a frequent basis...

The encouragement comes at a perfect time, too. Just last week I got my first (and second) shot on a public land Oklahoma bear. I've been hunting them for around 6 or 7 yrs. now, and just now managed my first real opportunity. I missed, cleanly on both shots...

I had a little guy come into my shooting lane, giving me a perfect broadside shot at around 7 yards. When I took the shot, I immediately knew that I'd missed because as he ran all over the place, my string from the string tracker stayed still. After running several different directions at full speed, he ended up back in my shooting lane at around 10 yds. away. I took my 2nd arrow & let fly. He jumped like he'd been hit, and ran straight away from me & down the hill. I managed to stay in my seat for a full 20 min. while I got my hands to stop shaking, but could wait no more. I followed the string to the 1st arrow and then looked around for the 2nd, which I found about 10 feet away & slightly closer to my chair. My heart sank as I looked over the arrow & found it to be completely free of blood or even fur. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful that I didn't wound him, but I thought that I had made a better shot the 2nd time. The only thing that I can think of is that I just didn't pick a spot and shot at the whole bear. Needless to say, I was very dejected and began to question myself and whether or not I should even be in the woods. But I'm refusing to let negativity rule my life & decision making. So I will practice some more, and be back out for deer for the rest of our season. And do my best to not make the same mistakes.

I just wanted to let you all know how encouraging it can be for others, sometimes, when you are candid about your mistakes. I appreciate it very much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©