3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes  (Read 738 times)

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »
Ain't it the truth? I consider the first two or three outings to be "shakedown cruises" to get the bugs out, the gear organized, and get my mind right. I thought I'd done pretty good Saturday for an opening day, though the only deer I saw were a big doe with a large but still spotted fawn that was still nursing. I could have killed momma easily several times but passed. Then I got home and discovered I'd lost my compass...

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Ain't it the truth? I consider the first two or three outings to be "shakedown cruises" to get the bugs out, the gear organized, and get my mind right. I thought I'd done pretty good Saturday for an opening day, though the only deer I saw were a big doe with a large but still spotted fawn that was still nursing. I could have killed momma easily several times but passed. Then I got home and discovered I'd lost my compass...

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
I really thought I had my first traditional deer last night. I'm set up over this bottom watching a draw going up the hill that we knew was in use (boy I hunt with got one there last year). I knew they were in the bottom behind me but couldn't see them yet; finally there they are and better yet they are turning and starting up the draw - perfect. I'm in a huge blown down about 15 yards away from where I expect them to walk and the closest one is right about there, all I need her to do is clear a couple of big trees that are side by side and I have an open lane. I wait until her head is behind them and bring the bow up and draw back a little. She has stopped behind them, all I can see is the back end. After what seems like forever her head comes out and it facing away from me. She walks away at about an 80 deg angle out to about 35yds and then turns back broadside. Maybe some of you are good at that distance with traditional gear but not me. All 3 of them end up over by her and head on up the hill. Once the get up a bit they are now down wind of me and it's over. Come on! All she had to do was keep walking straight and it was game over!      :mad:
SWA Spyder

Offline whiskyweasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
First cool morning sit down here in Mississippi. Get in early so I can snuggle into my brand new Asbell pullover and drink a slug or two of coffee. Shooting light is at 6:33 and around 6:15 I hear something decidedly deery rustling near at hand. I quietly stand up and nock an arrow.

6:20 - 13 minutes till shooting light - rustle, rustle.

6:25 - 8 minutes till shooting light - trees begin to take shape in the darkness, rustle, rustle.

6:29 - 5 minutes till shooting light - where is that noise coming from, it's close!

6:30 - 3 minutes till shooting light - RING, RING, RING goes my weekday alarm clock! Muffled curses and a scramble for my pockets. A snap of a branch and then silence... I guess that's what I get for playing hooky.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
hiked in the other morning through bean field and standing corn silently before shooting light to my favorite stand. said stand doesn't have a seat pad...seat pad in my pack I neglected to grab from the truck. yep cold steel on the butt hurts after like 30 seconds.....I stood for 3 hours...and saw no deer...but plus side the sun hit just right in the morning to find my arrow that blew threw a doe opening day. I couldn't find it for the life of me that night but now its back at number one in the quiver!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I've made plenty. Dumbest one so far is going to the woods with field tips on my arrows. Just can't seem to get anything right this year.......IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
Morning of the 18th was cool and the wind was right for a stand that I'd seen a big nine point from on the morning of the 17th. Up a half hour early and loaded up the truck with my bow and hunting clothes. Had my boots and hunting shirt laying on the truck toolbox as I made a last minute check. Driving to the hunting property I saw 4 deer bedded in a guys yard and had 3 feeding on the lane I drive in on. Got out of the truck to get suited up and realized I'd left the boots and shirt on the toolbox. Drove toward home looking for my gear and found everything in the ditch at the end of my driveway! The morning hunt was lost but I killed a doe that evening.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©