3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which would you choose for hunting deer?  (Read 921 times)

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which would you choose for hunting deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
I have no experience with the VPA's. I have plenty with both the Bear and the Magnus. Great heads. Shoot the one that fly's the best for you.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
Still time to learn how to sharpen the VPA.  Just saying.  Don forget that your angle of approach when attempting to shave with a 3 blade is different than a 2 blade.

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Just to clear up a few things, first, I can get the VPA broadheads pretty sharp, as in will stick on a fingernail or easily pop a rubber band with very little effort. I just cant get them to shave hair like I can the 2 blades but make no mistake they are sharp. Also, the only deer I have taken to date is with the VPA and it did a good job. As for having different broadheads in my quiver, some of my arrows are equipped with 100gr brass inserts and 125gr 2blade heads while others are standard inserts with 200gr VPA. all my arrows weigh within 20gr of each other and all shoot to the same point of impact and are tuned very well. Im just wondering if there is an advantage to a slightly sharper 2 blade over a 3 blade. Or is it a moot point and just go with what feels right at the moment.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
Make that the only deer I have taken to date with traditional bow equipment. I have taken many deer with other archery equipment over the years.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
If it is not sharp it don't count. You last post might change my mind but it is a subjective  call. If it worked for you before, your opinion of sharp may be good enough. Good luck. >>>----> Ken

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Shoot what you have the most confidence in getting the job done.  Lack of confidence with your gear can affect you in the field.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I believe the Edge that will roll easiest is the single bevel... I may be mistaken but I believe that's the one that doesn't have support because one side has no build-up it's a fall off

I want to make one thing clear you can make a shaving sharp edge that is very durable people have been doing it for 50 years.....

And yes you can make one that will shave it is too thin that will shave that will roll....

but do not mistake the fact that you can make a durable Edge that will shave hair very decisively
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
i'm with PDK25.

I was playing with some of my bro's vpas this weekend. He had them kinda sharp. Not good enough for my taste. But I have never been good at sharpening 3 blades...So I took them and laid them flat on 800 and 2000 grit sandpaper and stroked them backwards across them. Made them nice and shiny. But they wouldn't shave very well.

I then realized that I was angling them up and trying to shave like when shaving with a two blade. Well that angle was about 60 degrees. That was my error. I laid the head almost flat on my arm. It then Easily shaved.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Sharpest, for sure. Get a few more and leave the others at home.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
VPA 3 Blade
From base to tip  

1. Light file
2. Coarse Diamond rod
3. Medium Diamond rod
4. Fine Diamond rod
5. Quality Butchers steel
6. Leather Strop

pops hair

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Assuming that they all shoot equally well, I would suggest you go with the one that you have the most confidence in. For me, that would be the one that I could sharpen the best.
Sam

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
The edge bevel on a three blade is more obtuse than on a two-blade head so it's just not possible to get them as sharp.  But, you can get them plenty sharp to kill an animal.  

Because of the larger bevel angle, the edge on a three blade is less likely to turn over than it is on an acute angle bevel two blade head, which can actually turn over before it gets into the goodies.  

Long story short, any of the heads you're considering will do the job.  Shoot the one you like.

Online Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Magnus....because I have used bears and some went clean through bone some have bent on bone...go with magnus.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
I'd check the VPA on my fingernail and if it passes that then Id use that,,, I've got some crazy blood trails from heads that didn't shave hair..

I like and hunt with 2 blade also but I have had some lack luster blood trails with 2-blade heads I could have shaved with but good thing for me in my world when I hit a deer with a two blade it doesn't seem to run off as crazy and sometimes just stops and looks around then falls over,,, 3 blades they explode out of there..

IDK  part of me says VPA and part of me says shoot that razorhead now.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©