3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Alaskan Bow  (Read 1563 times)

Offline spacebarcowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Alaskan Bow
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
Hey tradgang!

I saw a guy near me is selling a 55# 62" Bear Alaskan bow for $50. I have not seen it but he says it is in good shape and he says he bought it 2nd hand in the early 60's and hunted with a few years and that it has hung in his closet since then.

I was trying to look at information about the Alaskan online and I did not really find much info other than it seems less desirable than some of the other bear models of the time. I was just looking to get opinions about the Alaskan. I am pretty new to archery, and the bow is a little heavy for me...I usually shoot a 40# bow, but I thought if it seemed like a good deal I would buy it. Also, I assume that as long as it doesnt have anything visibly wrong (cracks, twists) it should be safe to shoot.

Thanks for any opinions! (My first post to tradgang...)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Alaskan Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Spacebar, I asked the same question a month or so ago here, and on another forum - didn't get a lot of feedback, but a couple of folks said it shot pretty well.
$50 is a really good price, if it's in shootable condition.
Important to consider is you're talking about jumping up 15lbs of draw weight (more than 30% higher than your usual bow). I'd strongly advise you to NOT get yourself overbowed.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
my first tradbow was a bear Alaskan. 62" 50@28" lemon yellow limbs.
 I took two deer with that bow, very nice shooter but certainly not the fastest.
 had several stress cracks in the glass but never seemed to be an issue.
 I have since passed it on to my 30 yr old son.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline spacebarcowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
Yeah, would not jump right up to the 55# but keep it for later or shoot if every now and then for fun.  I took a long time to even move up from 30# to 40#. I mostly thought this might be a good price on a cool vintage bow.

So are the Alaskans just kind of the low end bear model or how do they compare to the seemingly more desireable models like the grizzly or kodiak?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
If it is in usable condition, I would take it in a heartbeat.
Sam

Offline spacebarcowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
The price seems good to me...well I will have to see the condition but I would love to hear more opinions about these bows.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:00 AM »
Im thinking that the model might be from 58 to 63.  Might want to look at this link if you havent seen the thread yet:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=004656
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:00 AM »
If it is in good shape, you will not have too much trouble selling for at least what you paid for it.  I have two bear Alaskans.  One is right hand only with lemon yellow fiberglass and brown glass limbs.  The other is a 50 pound "Halloween" bow with orange limbs.  It is incredibly light and a blast to shoot. 15 pounds in traditional archery is a big jump.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline spacebarcowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
I contacted the owner again this morning and the bow is no longer for sale...the dude's son wanted it.  Typical!  I had just gotten my hopes up.  The poundage wasn't a good match for me after all though...I just couldn't pass up what seemed like a good deal...and the do look like cool bows!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
I had a 1960's Alaskan with mint green & yellow glass!? Great bow!!! Killed my first 2 deer with that bow in 1976 & 77. 50# @ 28" she was a keeper! The compound craze was just getting started. Some Camo paint, and a dozen Bear cedars with Razorheads, a Kwikee "suicide" quiver, and I was in business! (Quickly swapped the Kwikee, for a tape on Bear) I used that bow into the early 80's. God, I wish I still had it!!!  :(
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
For 50 bucks you should by it just to look at it. If it's in good shape and shootable ....that's a bonus. I have a 45# 1969 model.......they shoot well.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline spacebarcowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
I like your signature: There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©