3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What defines traditional to YOU?  (Read 732 times)

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
What defines traditional to YOU?
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Sitting out in the woods for long periods lends to ones mind wandering at times. Not a bad thing. This question occurred to me the other evening. What IS traditional archery?? Obviously a bow without training wheels is a requirement. But what other requirements are truly required? Do you have to shoot “instinctively”, can you use some or any aiming system? Do you have to shoot woodies or can you sling precisely weighted perfectly straight carbons? Are you still traditional if you use a release?
 Or is it ALL in the mental attitude of the individual? To me attitude is the MOST important aspect. As a traditional archer/hunter I choose to use a “primitive” weapon, including home made wood arrows, but I also use a sighting system to help me make the most accurate/ethical shot I can make. I keep shots close and accept that this makes for a more difficult hunting experience.
I would love to read some of y’alls personal definitions of Traditional.
 Hope everyone has a successful hunting season!!!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What defines traditional to YOU?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
I grew up when there was no such thing as "traditional" archery, it was just archery as it should be now, regardless of what bow you choose to shoot. I choose to shoot a longbow or recurve now but I have killed lots of animals with a compound bow over the years. I also own a crossbow. It's all good so why judge the other guy? Also I think the derogatory term "training wheels" should be banned from ANY archery site.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
Well I believe attitude is on top of the list. Just for example look at tradgang. There are people here that have never met or even know one another. They are willing to help and share knowledge. You see the generosity all the time.  To me respect for mother nature and ethics play a big role also.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline yearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
Old recurve bows, my bear type 1 takedown, footed cedar arrows hand crested with real barred feathers burned to shape that I make myself and old mycro nocks on them, old bear razorheads, an old Jones style hat with an original camo pattern, and a lot of time in the woods thinking about the old times.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
Well, the word compound and bow should never be used in the same sentence, regardless of what the various DNR's and archery associations say to the contrary.

If it wasn't about the money it wouldn't be.

Getting back to the OP's question, I  too never had to wonder about it when I started therefore as long as you hunt with a bow that looks and functions like a bow it's traditional.

I would add the caveat that bows and arrows that have electronics on or in them diminishes that definition.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
For me, traditional is the mindset - the attitude, the approach and, the positive impact that has upon me.  I don't use an aiming system, but I do use carbon arrows, as much for durability and time saving, because I also use wood arrows of my own making.  I hunt from the ground only, and I don't feed/bait although it is legal.  Others are definitely more traditional, or primitive, than I am.  I guess for me, it is just getting back to a more simple, basic time and frame of mind.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
The way it was back in the 70's... When I was just a kid bowhunting...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
JamesV, I was not using the term training wheels in a derogatory sense. I have and still use a compound bow at times. The group of guys I hunt and shoot with( more compound shooters than stick bow) using this term in a joking manner. I had NO intention of offending anyone. I enjoy all types of archery.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
With me being unable to hunt this season due to impinged shoulders everyone says "Get a crossbow" to which I reply "No thanks, I've been at it too long to switch, I'll just wait until next season"
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
The first “archery seasons” I believe were set based upon shooting recurves or Longbows. It cared with it the restrictions of effective range that those bows required to effectively kill game. Then “improvements” to the bow came about with the addition of the compound and then the modern day crossbow. These two weapons were added to what was called the archery season weapons. The effective range was extended to double or longer the distance because of many factors. There are other innovations still yet to come I’m sure. I don’t put down those that choose to shoot a more modern weapon. I just don’t believe they are to be put in the season that archery was designated for. Often muzzleloaders have their own season. Then why not modern day crossbows and compounds?
The length of seasons is partially set by how effective the weapon being used is. Out West we get one deer tag for the general season. We need the full month of our archery season to be effective with longbow or recurve or selfbow. If the numbers of animals harvested goes up because of the effectiveness of the weapon increases our archery seasons will be shortened or go to a draw.
I believe the historic definition of Traditional was and should remain hunting with a recurve, Longbow or selfbow of appropriate draw weight.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
What we now think of as traditional equipment was evolving at the time the compound bow was invented, and had been evolving for thousands of years before that.  If the compound bow had not been invented, bows and arrows would have continued to evolve anyway, and there would not be one point in time where anyone could say, “before this point, equipment was traditional, and anything invented after this point is not traditional.”  

So I think any effort to make a distinction between traditional and non traditional archery equipment is based on a false assumption, except perhaps for compound bows themselves, which might be considered an entirely new weapon, qualitatively different from what came before, in the same sense that the machine gun is qualitatively different from a rifle.

So without being able to draw a clear line for definitional purposes, what we are left with is “to thine own self be true.”  What kind of equipment will bring you the most satisfaction when you hunt or compete?  It is not unreasonable to ask to compete against others using the same type of equipment; otherwise, it would not be a fair competition.  Clearly, many people would like similar distinctions applied to hunting seasons, but due to the practical impossibility of setting up separate hunting seasons to suit everyone's choice of equipment, you take what you can get.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
What Brother McDave said...

I normaly try & stay out of these debates, but believe this needs saying? As far as "Game Laws & Seasons" go...

Many times these are put into place by state legislatures, that know little about equipment. Basically, if it fires a bullet, it's a gun. If it launches an arrow, it's a bow. An "arrow" has feathers (natural, plastic, or?) and a broadhead (fixed, interchangable, expandable, mechanical) We can debate the differances between arrows & "bolts" but I can remember years ago, compounds equipped with "over-draws" to allow the use of shorter & faster "arrows" that were about the same length, as today's crossbow bolts.
Early bow seasons, were actually fought, because the bow was seen as TOO effective, and a Poacher's weapon! (Silent & Deadly) Bows & Arrows have continued to evolve since the beginning of time. Since early Man attached a stone point to a shaft... Added feathers to stabilize it... Or backed a bow, to make it more powerful & durable...

I think we have become overwhelmed with technology... Going "back" is our way of separating ourselves, from this ever faster developing technoligy. Just one Old Fart's opinion.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Are you looking for a strict definition of traditional archery or the personal value system often associated with people who use traditional archery equipment? They are not the same.

Traditional archery is that system of archery that predates the compound bow. In other words, before wheels. Any of you guys old enough to be an archer prior to the compound ever hear "traditional" archer used before then?

Now when you get to the discussion of traditional as a personal value system, then you get into a very wide discussion of beliefs, feelings, choices, and biases that have sparked so many lively discussions on this and other forums. I predict nobody's opinion will be changed by this discussion, either.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I don't label myself a modern or traditional archer. I simply like recurves in addition to other equipment.  

For example, because of a finger issue (visited surgeon a week ago), I'm unable to shoot with fingers this year.  Killed a nice buck first time out but can't post it here and I'm cool with that.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Just relax and don't worry about a word or it's meaning. Go shoot the bow you want to shoot and allow others to do the same. Pretty simple I think!

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Longbow, self bow or recurve......no sights.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
I think it's a little more than just a word maybe a mindset or a way of life in general but one can't deny that there is something truly special about a longbow or recurve I never got that feeling from a compound that's why I sold them all
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
The traditional way provides me with a coveted peaceful freedom for excellence.

The disciplining of desire so as to make the achievement of the good first possible and then effortless.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
For me it's shooting recurves and LB that's it. No restrictions shoot what you want on it, I don't but that's OK it's my bow and it's your bow. Remember have fun and enjoy.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I guess I never really thought about it.  I guess shooting a bow that's classified as a longbow or recurve.  Keep it simple.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©