3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall Tent has Arrived  (Read 977 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wall Tent has Arrived
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
Well, I just received my 12 x 14 Davis Wall Tent. Set it up in the backyard to make sure all the pipes were right and as I expected it was perfect.

Kyle was the guy I dealt with at Davis Tent to place my order and also spoke to Roy and Rick Davis before shipping. These guys were top notch in the way of polite, professional service and advice; even if it meant not selling me something they didn't think I needed for what I was using my tent for. Hard to find these days.

Went back in the search engine on Pow Wow for wall tents and got some great advice and guidance. Kudo's again to Jason(LBHunter) at Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast. I pretty much go check to see if Jason has address a product for hunting or camping before I buy. When Jason likes something you can pretty much book that its good stuff.

So next time I set this tent up, Lord willing, will be in Kansas for an extended stay hunting whitetails.     :goldtooth:      :archer2:  

[/url] [/IMG]  

Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wall Tent has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
Looks great. Is the opening at the top for running a ridge pole for a fly?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
Actually both. If you were doing the awning (fly) your ridge support pipe would come through that sock after slipping into the sleeve of the connector.
Todd Trahan

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
Man that looks nice!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Great looking tent. Deer camp ought to be really cozy this year.
Sam

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Looks awesome Todd!!! I'll have one someday!
You going to bring it to the hog hunt in January?
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Hey Randy, that's the plan brother!! Just got to make sure the horses don't get to it while we're hunting!
Todd Trahan

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Very nice.  Looks like many memorable adventures to come with that  set up!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
Looking Good. I have a  similar one with external frame.  Gotta get some vaca and set it up for a hunt!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Wall tent camps are like stepping back in time , I love it....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
I have a little bigger Davis with external poles.  I have only had the tent and stove for about four years now but I have spent several months worth of nights in it already.  I had it up in Utah elk hunting for over a month last fall and have hunted out of it in five different states so far.  I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
Todd very nice just what you need .Kip

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
Don't get any better than that !!!

Very Nice
Randy

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of my tent set up in Kansas.            [/url] [/IMG]      

[/url] [/IMG]
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
Summit Stove which includes the water tank, and warming tray. For two nights it was 29 degrees and I had it 70 degrees in that tent in no time. Very pleased with the performance of the stove.

Because of the extra room I decided to bring an inflatable mattress instead of the cot I have. Man did I sleep good! Took some serious afternoon power naps as well. With more than one hunter the stacking cots would definitely be the ticket.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
Had plenty room for all my gear and set up a folding table with my Coleman stove for coffee and oatmeal in the morning. I cooked my main meals outside the tent to avoid the smell inside. That green circular thing on the left of the table is a trash can that squishes down flat for packing. Holds a 30 gallon trash bag.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
Sunset in Kansas! Glory to God!

[/url] [/IMG]
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
I received a lot of good info on this site about wall tents so I want to return the favor to those who are interested in my opinions after my initial 10 day camping trip. This is my first experience with a wall tent although I have camped out in regular tents from Alaska to New Mexico.

1) My tent was a Davis Tent, 12'x 14'. I got whats called the Antelope package.

2) I purchased the floor that they make for the tent with the zip out section for the stove and I am glad I did. I know many people that use tarps but this floor fit the tent exactly and I was able to tuck the sod cloth under the floor and then put the side legs on the floor and sod cloth and this pinned it down perfectly. I like that it all fits perfectly and the floor cleaned up by sweeping very easily. It rained one night really hard and there was rain water under the floor but it never came up through the floor material one time even though I could feel it under me when I walked in the tent.

3) I added two side windows and that was a good idea as well. When I arrived in Kansas it was getting in the low 80's for highs and it was very beneficial to have that extra ventilation. I plan on doing some camping in Louisiana with it this next year and I am sure the extra ventilation will be appreciated.

However, the windows were the only problem I had. When it rained the windows leaked into the tent at the bottom where the webbing framed the windows. I emailed Davis and they told me this would stop after a couple of rains. They suggested spraying the webbing that frames the windows with Scotch Guard or rubbing some silicone on them. It was a pain but nothing too bad.

4) Lighting - You can see the old type battery lanterns I had in the tent. I bought a flashlight at the hardware store in the town nearby because I forgot my EAG TAC at home. It uses a single C123 battery for power and had a magnetic base. It is about 2 inches long. I discoverd that I could take two of these very small flashlights and using the magnetic base, stick them to the rigde pole connectors above me in the tent and light up the tent better with two little flashlights than those bigger lanterns that use those D Cell Batteries. This little flashlight had an adjustable beam so I just put it on wide beam and lit the tent up.

5) I did the four ridge pole design instead of the three pole. Very sturdy and the side windows do not have a pole coming down through the middle of them.

6) Stove - I did not use the water tank or cook on the stove but I did use it to keep my coffee warm. I was able to buy some very good oak wood while there and my stove pipe and spark arrester had zero build up in it.

7) Sturdiness - We had a storm come through Kansas that had tornado warnings etc. and the tent didn't budge. The ropes did not loosen and the canvas material did not drip one time. The windows were the only leakeage I had.

8) I LOVE THIS TENT and I love camping in a wall tent! The room you have and the ability to walk around standing up instead of bent over in a dome tent is the bomb.
Todd Trahan

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
Love your set up!    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter