3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got me a Buck......  (Read 1584 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Got me a Buck......
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Well I started me a new adventure a while back and started a youtube channel about my Trad hunting adventures off a duelsport motorcycle. My buddy Tom D that is also a tradgang member got on our bikes for our first whitetail hunt on them and it turned out to be a great time. I am filming with a little knock-off GoPro type camera and film little bits here and there of the hunt and trip. We started off from my house for a ride to one of the places I have just over an hour away. We got into camp about 3pm and it was just over 90 ( dang hot ) so we decided to just fish a while with our little breakdown fishing rods that live in the boxes on our bikes. We prob caught 25-30 bass and a few perch and some of the bass were well over 3-lbs. When the the shadows started getting long we went and sat an old grown up fence to glass a field , ended up seeing a bunch of deer and one nice buck. Tom almost shot a doe that came by at 25yds but she ended up spotting us. That night we had some elk steaks and mashed taters and that made a great end to the day. Plan for the morning was to get Tom ( he hasent hunted in about 12 years ) in a ground blind and I will head for a treestand in the area we saw the nice buck........
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got me a Buck......
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
We woke to cool temps and a heavy fog just one of those nice mornings to be out in the woods. With an hour before sunrise we headed out , got Tom set on stand and the SW wind was good for the tree I was headed for. Made my tree and waited for the woods to come to life , deer started working around in the dark and feed around me. I had punched a hole in the bill of my hat and have the cam mounted there. As the sun came up several deer passed and I would get some vid of them , had a few doe feeding around and then a small 8pt made the scene. He nosed them around a while then threw his head up and stared off into the woods then tucked his tail and went the other direction out of sight. About 5min later I see some horns heading my way and he looks to be a nice deer ( nice for my taste anyway ). He ended up going in and out for a good while then settled down and fed around with a few doe. I drew on him once but had to let down due to him turning wrong. Got to watch him for about 20min and he is a dandy buck for the area we are hunting , nice heavy 9pt and a sight bigger in body than all the other deer....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Congrats sam!! Any pics?
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
lookin' good so far....
  :campfire:

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Im not dragging this out I just type really slow and need to load pics and refigure out how to post them. So he is finally is in range and I have the cam on and the vid will tell all. Ok there he is 18yds or so and Im just waiting on him to to move that leg forward , in my mind I keep saying if your form is perfect the shot will be also. So Im shooting a warfed recurve with a flipper rest on it. I set the bow up to shoot plastic vanes and it has proven to be a killer set-up , I took a sika doe and a Aoudad ram wit it about a month ago ( so I know the bow works as should ) anyway back to the buck at hand. Cam is on and he moves that leg and is slight quartered away at 18ish yds. I start to draw and the arrow comes off the stupid rest but I recover and keep drawing then it does it Again and how I  keep it together I dont know. But I do and never stop drawing and everything feels right , good solid anchor and looking at my spot then keep pulling with my back and the arrow is on its way. The arrow flew true and the big TreeShark hit a text book quartered away shot and stopped in the off shoulder. As Fred Bear would say ( he was really carrying the mail when he left out of there ). I knew he could not get far , I turned the cam on myself and had my little melt down of relief.......
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
Congrats man!! Good shooting, waiting on pics!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
Went and met up with Tom , he had seen several doe and passed a few shots waiting for our next trip. Told him my story and we started our search , the buck was out of my sight in seconds and his path took him out in a weed field. But he was not in sight in the field and a quick look at the last spot I saw him told he had made a U-turn out of my sight. 50yds down the wood line and up under a big cedar tree was my prize , he had made it about 100yds total. With a handshake from my buddy Tom our first bike hunt for whitetails was one for my history book. We took some vid and pics and got to work getting him cut-up and in a big bag on my bike for a ride to the cold storage in town. They said it was a first for anyone to bring a deer in on a motorcycle......
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Waiting on the pics to load now , my youtube deal is going to be Trad hunts and fishing trips all over the country. Would like to also do hunts and interviews with you guys here on tradgang. Everything I do is going to be on the cheap so to speak , will camp all in my travels to and from locations. Public land hunts or hunts with friends might do a paid hunt here and there if funds permit. Its going to be about being self-reliant and doing things anyone could go do if they would set a mind to.I like budget gear and simple ways and hunts with like minded folks and I like motorcycles so it seemed like something fun....

Im going to do DIY backcountry stuff , and gear reviews , DIY trad stuff , you know the stuff we like......If anyone has any ideas let me know....

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Great buck!  Congrats!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Cool!! What's the bike?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Awesome man. Congrats
I love Bow Hunting

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
He was a big ol bodied dude for around these parts and Im proud to have him. All the vid turned out pretty neat for what it is ( action cam ) and hope to get the vid up in a week or so. It was a great adventure with one of my best friends and you can bet it wont be my last.....

Bow is a Warfed ILF rig , 66in guessing mid 50lbs at my 30in draw , 400 spine carbon with 2117 footing and steel broadhead adapter with a Simmons TreeShark , for a total of 610 grain arrow , did the gutless method so not sure what all was hit but my guess is it hit everything..

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
The bike is a Kawasaki KLR 650 , poor mans adventure bike.
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Looks like a pretty darn good buck no matter what parts your from.
Congrats!!
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
Good one Sam!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
That's really cool Sam! Looks like a lot of fun.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©