3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oh what a morning.....  (Read 1116 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oh what a morning.....
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I was sitting there contemplating what to do next. I figured he had walked away, so I hit the grunt tube again......Nothing......

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
All of a sudden his head and chest appeared in my sight window of my blind from the right side. The deer had walked all the way around my blind and was now facing me. All I could see was his head, chest and part of his left front leg..... I swear he acted like he was trying to get in the blind with me..

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
At this point the deer was only a few feet way staring right at me. I draw back my bow, pick a spot between his front leg and breast bone and let her go.......Whack is all I remember hearing... I was shaking uncontrollably. I have been deer hunting since I was 8( I am now 36) and have never never never had an experience like this.....

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
So now I am sitting in my blind and all kinds of things are running through my head...... Like man that deer was coming in this blind.. and you never should have attempted a front on shot...and why cant I stop shaking...and I hope that was the same deer I had gotten a look at only a few minutes before....and did I hear him crash or was that my imagination... Dang, I have to get to work before I get in trouble...I sat there for a full hour before I could get even the zipper open on the blind...

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by slayer1:
All of a sudden his head and chest appeared in the sight window of my blind from the right side. The deer had walked all the way around my blind and was now facing me. All I could see was his head, chest and part of his left front leg..... I swear he acted like he was trying to get in the blind with me..

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
So I get out of the blind and walk over to where I saw him standing. I look around for about 10 min, no blood no arrow....Then I see a speck and then another and then another and then a puddle..I follow it for about 125 to 150 yards. This is what I find at the end of the trail..

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Great story! Awesome buck! Congrats!
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
That was a risky shoot IMHO but I'm glat it worked out.

Nice deer.  Congrats.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
This was only the third time I had hunted from the ground. Believe me I understand that this was a risky shot, and it just happend to work out. The deer was only a few feet away when I released the arrow. At the time I really thought the deer  was going to come in the blind....and it all happend so fast I really didnt have time to think about it. I set this blind up back in early September, and just hadnt hunted out of it unless it rained, I guess it all just worked out ok. I was very very thankful to have recovered the deer. I used a 64" 65lb @ 28 Dwyer longbow with a 600 grain GT traditional arrow tipped with a 160 grain land shark..

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by slayer1:
At this point the deer was only a few feet away... I was shaking uncontrollably...
And that's why we are out there. Talk about your up close and personal experiences ha ha

Congrats Scott, thats a beauty of a buck (and a heck of a story)   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Wow, nice buck and very interesting story. That is a serious penetration picture.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Wow, what a great experience and a beautiful deer to boot.  You'll be telling that one to anyone who'll listen for years to come (at least I would be).  Congrats
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Nice Buck!!!

Bill

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Nice work!

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
that deer died in the back of your truck to man you did have a morning to remember.LOL
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
:clapper:
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Great job all around ! On the ground, grunted came back .Found blood and the deer 100/150 yards  a little deeper the feathers would have plugged that hole I think!Man oh man if today isn't your lucky day. Quick go out and buy some lottery tickets !!!! Outstanding job!

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
good job,congrats!

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I've never attempted that shot on the ground.
Ground hunting is awesome when things go right.
Congratulations on a great deer!

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Good to see it end well,  doesnt look like any meat was damaged either. Nicely done!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©