3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The small details that I missed  (Read 814 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
The small details that I missed
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
This past weekend made for a great weekend of hunting even though it was in the 90's.  I settled into my spot under a feed tree that was what Mr. Warren Wommack and RC would call a "hot" tree.  There was a lot of deer sign under this tree, dropping, acorns, tracks, and it was all very fresh.

I got in the stand around 3:30 and had a little over a 3 hour sit between me and dark.  At about 4:45, I hear something walking through the water.  I spot 4 does walking straight towards me through a slough, I slowly stand and get as close to the tree as I can to be sure I wasn't picked off.  Well, they didn't read the script and all 4 went behind me.  I could have managed to get a shot at one, but something just didn't feel right about it, and I had a good hunch that something was going to come into this feed tree.  

At around 530 I hear something else coming through the water, another two does, these were slightly farther away though and didn't offer any opportunities.  Immediately, I hear some more running in the water and this small nubbing buck comes running by grunting like he was the big man on campus.  He gave me the best shot opportunity up to this point, and it wasn't one I was very comfortable with, so I gave him a pass as well.  Either way, I was thoroughly enjoying myself.  I begin to hear some walking in the water, but it was coming from a different direction this time.  I look up and see a small racked buck headed my way.  I knew with the way he was walking he was either coming into the tree or going to skirt right by me at about 15 yards.  Either of those choices and I would get a shot opportunity.  

Well, he comes right into the acorns.  My heart is pounding, i'm trying to be as still as possible, trying to remind myself of what to do, etc.  He meanders around for some 10 or so minutes and finally presents me a shot slightly quartering away.  I draw, pick a spot and smoke that spot.  The deer takes off back where he came, I hear him run for close to 15 seconds in the water and then hear him hit dry land.  I was kind of shocked he had made it that far.  I never heard him crash and was trying to replay the shot in my mind.  I began to think it was slightly back.  I backed out and came back about 4 hours later with a few friends to help with the drag.  Well, we couldn't find a thing after the water.  I managed to track the deer about 100 yards in the water, but then couldn't find anything.  I got out on dry land and started searching for some sign of a deer coming through, blood, tracks, anything.  I kept checking my gps to see the direction I remembered him going.  I searched for over an hour and finally found blood.  We then tracked him all the way to a bayou of water some 3/4 miles away.  At this point it was 12:30am, which was 6 hours after the shot.  Up until this point, all the blood has been dry.  When I get to the edge of the bayou I find a single droplet of blood that was completely wet.  not even the edges were dry.  It threw me off.  I showed the guys with me and we all came to the conclusion that the deer must still be alive, so I decided to back out.  When I got back there in the AM, the deer was dead 30 yards from where we lost blood going into the slough.  The problem was it was so thick where he entered the water we couldn't see anything.  Had I walked some 20 yards north, I would have shined right on the deer.  

After finding the animal, I couldn't help but feel disgusted.  Disgusted he was right there.  Disgusted that I didn't execute a more ethical shot, etc.  

Hind sight, I should have paid more attention to how much he was quartering away.  If I had, the shot would have been much better.  I also made some very rookie mistakes.  This was my largest buck with a bow and the second largest deer I have ever killed.  I wish I had found him sooner to salvage the meat.  

**I will post the pictures when I get home, the server here blocks imgur pictures, Or, if someone will post them for me, I will email or text them to you.**
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Re: The small details that I missed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience at the "hot" tree.  Lotta action...   :archer:  

I'd be happy to post those pics...shoot them to me and I'll get em up.

MMS 231-330-2266
or email [email protected]

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Attaboy Daniel for stickin with it!
Lookin forward to the pics!
Tim B

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
You say you wish you found him sooner to salvage the meat.
 Did it spoil over night? Just curious.
 I lived in Mississippi for 3 yrs back in the 80s, I know how hot it can be ...
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Oh Boy   :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
Nice shootin'....you let the air outta that one!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Who said you can't salvage the meat?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
You say you wish you found him sooner to salvage the meat.
 Did it spoil over night? Just curious.
 I lived in Mississippi for 3 yrs back in the 80s, I know how hot it can be ...
Kevin, when i got back to it and began to cut it's head off, the meat smelled pretty bad.  I will admit that I foolishly didn't check any of the other meat.  I just know that when I cut it, it wasn't a common smell.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story. Nice shot, it's still hard to believe how far they can go with a shot like that.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
I had a similar situation last week. I shot what we call a "cow horn" spike at about 15 yards. I knew I hit him, but could not tell how good of a shot. I found blood about 40 yards from where I shot him, but it quickly stopped. I searched that afternoon until dark and returned the next morning again. Needless to say I did not find him. However, I was back out a few days later walking further down from my last look. I smelled something dead and immediately knew what it was. I found him no further than about 30 yards from where I walked on the initial search. It just made me sick that I lost that deer and especially since it was my first kill with a longbow.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
That shot looks like it would have taken out the back of the lungs to me.
Tim B

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Things happen to everyone it's just how it is , great job of keeping on him. All we can do is our best and if we do our best every time that all that can be asked....

I say great job on your part , Well done sir...

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Good job on the recovery.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
I know what you mean about the meat. I hit a buck a little far back on a Federal military installation and we put it to bed and notified the game warden. He called me next morning to show up with the tag and pick up the deer. You couldn't get withing 10' of the deer without smelling something bad but I had to tag it and take it home. Meat was a waste even though I butchered it. It just stunk.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with that shot Daniel, I can’t believe he went that far.
Get back out there man!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
Good shot hoss, you know as well as all of us it's gonna happen bowhuntin. No need to beat yourself up. Sounds like a textbook hunt to me. I know guys that pay a stupid amount of lease money and dont see that many deer the whole year. Good job doing your homework. That said suck it up buttercup and go kill some does!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Daniel,

That shot looks almost spot on!  I would think back top of the lungs, hard to believe that deer traveling that far   :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I'm with basinboy.
I would never imagine a deer going that far where that arrow went thru. Sometimes the deer just don't know to give up.
I hit my buck last year in nearly the same place and he only made it about 100yds.
It's fine to feel remorse, but you can't wallow in self pity. I personally don't know a single person with a 100% success rate. Get back out there and get after them!!
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Pics of the rack too? Looks like it should have gotten both lungs... They can be tough critters!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Hornzz...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©