3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recommend the ultimate NA hunt  (Read 857 times)

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
recommend the ultimate NA hunt
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I have decided to go on a north American hunt to remember! This will be 1 hunt a year, starting next season. I need a must go list.

I have been hunting in the southeast my entire life. So I am looking for something different.

Black bear, mule deer, elk and pronghorn are all very high on my mental list.

thanks everyone!
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recommend the ultimate NA hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Most would say the ultimate hunts are the sheep and goats. But that's a rich man's game.

For me...

Elk And moose are the two realistic short term goals.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
All good hunts you have listed , I have done each of them DIY with OCT tags and been successful on all of your listed animals. A little research and some gear anyone can do it. PM me if I can help point you in the right direction.....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
Elk would be very high on my list.
Sam

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
Elk for sure. Any place OTC just for starters, some good areas can be found with a little research. Warning: You'll never be the same...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:29:00 AM »
I've been on a lot of hunts in a lot of places, but the hunts I remember the most have more to do with who I'm with then what we're chasing...  

But, a Wyoming Pronghorn/Mulie combo hunt has been on my back burner for a number of years...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »
Alaska has to make the list. an out of state license is pricey but there are a lot of things you can do with a basic license. in some areas wolf are legal on a basic license, small game etc. just being in the vast expanse of alaska is well worth it. and you can do it completely DIY no problem!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
For me my ultimate hunts would be elk and moose. So far I've only hunted deer and turkey in two states but next January I'll be doing some hog hunting in Florida
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
I have done all  you listed as well and taken all except elk. Moose (because I could never afford sheep) is my most desired hunt.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
Mule deer, antelope, elk, black bear are all very doable in the lower 48.  However, Alaska has my attention and caribou or moose DIY fly in is a real adventure.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
I really enjoyed my spring bear hunt in Manitoba with Ryan Derlago of Manitoba Stickflingers.

Reasonable cost, and a very real chance at  8 ft bear, as well as color phase bear.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Coos deer. Moose and elk are on my bucket list, as are bears, but there’s something about those itty bitty little white tails that makes me want to go down to Sonora.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Elk hunting in the Wyoming wilderness. Ride in on horseback for 9 hours to get to camp. The most remote area in the lower 48. If interested, give me a shout and I can fill you in on the details and outfitter. I have done this hunt for the past six years and it is unbelievable. Caution; it is both physically and mentally challenging.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Ive been to canada for bears like 16 times, hunted Idaho for lions, been to arkansas for ducks, PA for deer, etc etc etc but I really cannot say enough about javelina hunting the desert mtns of AZ. You can hunt coues and mule deer on the same hunt. Archery season is in january.

You just cannot imagine how amazing the santa rita mtns are until youre sitting up on a ridge glassing at daylight.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
You are the only one who can define your ultimate hunt. I've hunted 17 different species and have not yet settled on the   ONE.  The most important thing is to make sure you pick one and GO. Elk are great. Spring bears are a ton of fun. Antelope are a great one to do with a group of friends. Arizona Coues deer in January are a great way for us northerners to get out of the snow. I'd say my favorite place and game are Kodiak Island Sitka Blacktails.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
wow! thanks for all the replies! Since this post I have put together a late season deer hunt in Missouri (2 miles from the Iowa line) for December.

I decided my 1st ultimate NA hunt will be for black bear. Now I have to narrow down area and start planning for next year. Im excited to say the least!
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
Good for you for dreaming the dream. I too had those dreams of hunting far from home but early on, life got in the way.  Once I took the leap I about lost my mind at how awesome the hunting world was.  I have chased critters in 5 countries and plan on going till I croak.  

If I can be of help in any way just give a shout.  Looks like we are neighbors as I am in North Dawson County.  I would be glad to help you with info on any of animals listed. I have hunted most all of them unguided.

You won't be sorry.  It's an awesome world out there.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
Elk - this would be my top pick as the hunts are fun and the meat is fantastic
Moose
Feral pigs
Sheep

These would be some of my top picks for bows.  If you like bird hunting with a shotgun, Arkansas has some of the best duck hunting in the world.  Upland birds like quail, pheasant, and dove are all a blast to hunt as well.  Whitetail deer is the most popular animal in the states to hunt, but I'm not sure I'd choose it over one of the above.  Bear is a lot of fun to hunt as well, but the quality of the meat is pretty poor in my opinion.  A lot of the professional guides around here won't even eat it either and most people I know that bear hunt wind up donating the meat to homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Dont know where that thought comes from. To me and everyone I hunt with, a bear puts a deer to shame as table fare.  Maybe its a regional thing. The acorn fed bears from north ga are unreal. Ive eaten dozens probably from quebec and they were all great too

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Whitetail or mule deer with selfbow and stone points is on my list.
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©