3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's wrong with going on a hunting "trip"?  (Read 855 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What's wrong with going on a hunting "trip"?
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I've been on more than a couple of hunting "trips".  The kind where you get your license, your tag, pack all your gear, and take off for the outback for a week of hunting "something".

It can be great fun, and I've taken a few critters doing it, BUT!

It is nothing but high pressure.  When you know you only have 6 or 7 days to scout for sign, make camp, hunt dawn to dusk, or more, and the clock is always ticking.

I can hunt my local area from the 1st of Oct. till well into January.  You can sit and relax, enjoy the solitude, and if you don't see anything today, there is always tomorrow.

I would never want to give that up for hunting "trips".
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's wrong with going on a hunting "trip"?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
It's not always about the kill, but the experience to me.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
I can agree on principle but life complicates things.  Some version of "the trip" is required for many folks due to responsibilities at home & work.  I have a neighbor who takes off for a month & parks his RV up in the mountains up there.  But he's retired.  Most of us have to make due with what time and life provide.

I can get out for 4 days twice a year and a few short 24-hour hunts, where I drive up at night after the kids go to bed, sleep in the truck, hunt the next day and get home about the time the kids go to bed again.  A 2-hour drive each way and a 2-month hunting season (archery and general combined) make for some hasty weekends.  

Sure, I'd like to spend a few evenings a week in the woods or even just spend a month or two out there.  But life is at home.  There's work to do, kids to feed, a home to manage and a wife that needs lovin'.

I envy some of you, like my buddy in AR, who can hunt right out his back door.  But my life is here.  A lot of the good hunting here, like the eastern Sierras, is even further away & done by lottery only.

All that to say that I understand & even try to emulate the ideas of hunting your own home turf more often rather than some far away place once a year.  But I also get why trips are so much a part of hunting culture.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
Both are good.  The trip can let you after a species you don't see at home.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Agreed, both are good.  Different species.  I can't hunt elk in Indiana.  I value the experience and to me the trips are a little more relaxing than here at home.  When I hunt around the home, a lot of times I'm thinking of things I need to get done or jobs that need finished.  Trips are to me more stress free and spent with great companions. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
When I am on a hunting trip I can concentrate on hunting and not worry about work, bills, etc..

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
Its so relaxing to get away and not have to think about doing some chore or task prior to hunting, total focus.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
I   NEED the trip every now and then.  Due to family health problems it's been two years since the last one.  I have plenty of time and all of Colorado to pick destinations from.  The equipment is all acquired so the actual expense is mostly fuel.  My next plan is feeling like a week trying to spot and stalk a Bear.

Take it from a guy who is 71, do it now!  The time may come when you have plenty of time and money but find your physical ability gone.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
All good points and the op is way correct too.
I like bear camps with buddies. They're usually in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except hunt, fish, practical joke each other. Lots of fun but the clock is always ticking.
Here's a big problem with them and the reason I don't go on especially deer hunts. For starters I'm not a big subscriber that someone knows more than what I've learned in doing this forever nor would they have my interest in mind like I would.
I believe in resting spots and only hunting them when the wind is right. Most camps had someone in your spot within the last day or so and prob will in the next day or so. You're chances are less.
Now if you had the run of a farm you might tear it up scouting and thus pressure deer so it's a catch 22.
Me for deer at least I'm staying home
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
All good points and the op is way correct too.
I like bear camps with buddies. They're usually in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except hunt, fish, practical joke each other. Lots of fun but the clock is always ticking.
Here's a big problem with them and the reason I don't go on especially deer hunts. For starters I'm not a big subscriber that someone knows more than what I've learned in doing this forever nor would they have my interest in mind like I would.
I believe in resting spots and only hunting them when the wind is right. Most camps had someone in your spot within the last day or so and prob will in the next day or so. You're chances are less.
Now if you had the run of a farm you might tear it up scouting and thus pressure deer so it's a catch 22.
Me for deer at least I'm staying home
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
BAK to some of us like me. Where you live is a dream hunt lol.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
BAK, you are driving yourself too hard.   ;)  You have to decide what your definition of success is...an animal on the ground or a time to unwind and enjoy God's creation without the daily hassles.  For me, an unfilled tag is not proof of an unsuccessful hunt.  To others I suppose it might be.  I love the trips I have taken to different parts of the country.  Sometimes the tag is filled, just as often not.  But either way I get what I went after--FUN.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Sure, a trip can be very busy, indeed. However, if somebody around here wants to hunt elk, or moose, etc. the "trip" is necessary. For many, who don't get this opportunity very often, the planning, packing, tough physical activity is an important part of the thrill of the hunt. Most of us would view it in this light. However, it is still good to be able to grab minimal equipment and enjoy good deer hunting after only a 10 minute drive on land that I know as well as the deer do.
Sam

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Our big game seasons are all draw-then the window is about 10 days-we often travel hundreds of miles to get to the drawn area.  We hunt-hard- for those few days we get.  I liked the long seasons when I lived back east, but this is waaaay different.
Have to play the card as dealt out here in Nevada
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
I could not agree more.

I can be at one of my many hunting areas within 30 minutes or less from the time I decide to go hunting until I am hunting!  I can start hunting (deer) Sept. 1 and continue through January 15.

I feel blessed!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:16:00 AM »
I've done "trips" in the past but only to areas in my home state for the same species I can hunt at home. Mainly with friends from college that live a long ways away. I could never afford big trips out of state. But when it all comes down to it there's nothing better than going to my local spot and coming home to my woman and our children who are so excited at what I experienced! My kids are now old enough to know what deer hunting is and were so excited opening day when I came home with a deer. Those experiences are priceless to me. But I'll always travel for some time with old friends with 0 cares if seeing or harvesting game. But that's just me
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
We are blessed in Georgia with a five month long deer and bear season and of course year round hog hunting.  I do love hunting here but I was born with a crazy desire for adventure.  Reading of Alaska and Africa as a boy only made it worse.  Through my twenties, raising kids and work kept me from those adventures but around thirty years old I realized that if I didn't do it I would regret it forever.  I started with Alaska and then went from there to a lot of cool places.  

I get that this is not for everyone but I simply could not imagine not going on these wild hunts.  Kill or no kill, there is no pressure because of the adventure in the trip itself.  I would add that if anyone is ever planning a trip like this always book it far in advance.  The time spent planning and preparing is a huge part of the experience.  

We just returned from a bowhunt for caribou in Alaska.  I planned this hunt for years waiting on my son to get big enough to handle the work of it all.  He and I have done hundreds of hunts together but seeing his face as we crawled in on those herds and when we looked out over the world from the top of a mountain together made it all worthwhile.  The bulls we took were just icing on the cake.  

I say if you dream it, go fo it.  Life can wait a bit on you to be happy.

Offline jonwilson

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Backwoods Grind Coffee Company
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
I couldn't have said it better myself, Sam McMichael.

I hunt for whitetails around my house in Mississippi. There are great deer to be hunted right here in my county. However, when I get financially ready to hunt elk, sheep, mountain goats, among others; those are not available right here in MS, so a trip is required.

I also travel to Louisiana, my home state, on occasion to hunt some familiar public land for the nostalgia.

It's all in the perspective, I guess.
Coffee for the outdoorsman:
  backwoodsgrind.com

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Hunting trips are usually with good buddies and that makes good memories that last forever. If I occasionally go on a hunting trip by myself I meet new folks and enjoy those memories and fun times. Solana is a good example, no pressure just have fun. I have gone on a few St Judes hunting trips and met some really great people.

I'm getting ready to go on a pheasant hunting trip with good friends, we have been doing this trip of near 30 years and I would not want to miss it. I can hunt around home any time but it's not near as much fun as a trip with good buddies. I have been blessed to have the ability to hunt many places and when I get too old to hunt I will sit back in my chair and enjoy those trips all over again and think of all the good friends traditional archery has given me..

:archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
Hunting Trips are important to me. Usually its the only time I spend quality time with good friends.  Also as some have mentioned, they can be a better release.  For me when hunting at home, I am constantly thinking about things that need to be done at home and feel guilty for sitting in the stand, It detracts from my experience.  When I am away, I can let that go and enjoy.

I agree though with OP that hunting trips can be stressful, and maybe feel rushed. But I guess its the type of trip you go on.  Usually the trips I take are pretty laid back whether it be for Hogs, deer or antelope.  If I wanted to sleep in any morning, I do and dont care. Dont get me wrong I love to Hunt hard but I also love having the freedom to do as I wish and not have to have a  schedule.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©