3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's wrong with going on a hunting "trip"?  (Read 856 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's wrong with going on a hunting "trip"?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
While I agree with you, I can't help but notice you live in Iowa, come live in NC for a year or two and see how quick you're taking trips to the midwest.   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    

I do agree though that those trips get stressful. That's why I generally hunt public land out of state, not out much. Well, in Ohio at least.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
I love our long season here Indiana. I like being able to kill multiple deer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The woods are familiar and I hangout with longtime friends.

That said, hunting elk out west is almost a year long affair. Once I know I'm going there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not doing something to prepare. Even a boring trip the grocery store finds me looking for new backpack foods that are high in calories. It gives me a reason to stay in shape and something to look foward to in the off season.

Both are different. Both are good.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
I can agree on principle but life complicates things.  Some version of "the trip" is required for many folks due to responsibilities at home & work.  I have a neighbor who takes off for a month & parks his RV up in the mountains up there.  But he's retired.  Most of us have to make due with what time and life provide.

I can get out for 4 days twice a year and a few short 24-hour hunts, where I drive up at night after the kids go to bed, sleep in the truck, hunt the next day and get home about the time the kids go to bed again.  A 2-hour drive each way and a 2-month hunting season (archery and general combined) make for some hasty weekends.  

Sure, I'd like to spend a few evenings a week in the woods or even just spend a month or two out there.  But life is at home.  There's work to do, kids to feed, a home to manage and a wife that needs lovin'.

I envy some of you, like my buddy in AR, who can hunt right out his back door.  But my life is here.  A lot of the good hunting here, like the eastern Sierras, is even further away & done by lottery only.

All that to say that I understand & even try to emulate the ideas of hunting your own home turf more often rather than some far away place once a year.  But I also get why trips are so much a part of hunting culture.
That is a great response.  The noose of depressing suburban living has sinched many wouldbe outdoors people.  If a person can't acacknowlege how bad that is then I'm afraid there is another unfortunate staticstic.  Everything is wrong with trips unless that is the only way a hunt of any kind is possible.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Everyone’s situation is different and many variables come into play. Age,money,free time,family,job and local hunting opportunities dictate for us all.. Havind said that, I seriously doubt anyone regrets going on hunting trips,especially as we age. Trips will fade away but the memories will last forever!

Blessed are those that have good hunting out their black door. That’s a real treasure.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks guys for some very good perspectives.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Geezz...killed a ton here in N GA...and a ton on hunting trips.  No way I'd throw away half my hunting memories or hunts on game we don't have here AND the people and life long friends I have met.  Maybe I should post all the kills and friends I have made on 'hunting trips'.

Not sure why the slam on travel hunts???  Nor understand how ANY hunting can be 'high pressure'      :dunno:             :(            :rolleyes:            :confused:            :dunno:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
I agree that it's nice to have a good place close to home with a long season. I'm lucky to have that too. But at the same time I get bored staring at the same woods every day so I like to take a trip or two every year also. But you're 100% right on the pressure!! Getting ready for the trip, the drive there, all the work that starts once you get there, then the drive home. It's worth it to me though and some of my best hunting memories are from trips with friends and family.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©