3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wife Vs. Mt.Lion discussion-need help  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Wife Vs. Mt.Lion discussion-need help
« on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
My wife never gives me any real grief about hunting, BUT I told her I would like to try for Mountain Lion as I found someone that is not to far out on our budget.She asked how I was going to go about that and I told her dogs etc. She said "not fair". Told her the cost is not going to go down. The animals need to be managed for the benefit of all wildlife and themselves included. The D.O.W. doesn't give out thousands of tags so they are managing them correctly. By treeing them you would have a better more efficient ethical shot. Thats all I kind think of quickly. Need help with the discussion gang
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wife Vs. Mt.Lion discussion-need help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Ask her if she could learn to use a fawn in distress call and set up a few yards from you...LOL
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Chuck, I laughed so hard I almost cried,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I like Smakewoods idea. I really cannot add to what you have said. I myself could not shoot a large cat. Mountain lion, Tiger or african lion, don't know why it just does nt appeal to me. I hope ya convince her though as I am sure it is a great hunt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I shot a huge cat on a hunt in 94 I think.Something I always wanted to do was to hunt the US's supreme predator with a bow. The kill IS kind of anti climatic, but the chase is unbelievably hard. Yes they do need to be managed. An adult lion will kill an elk or mule deer twice a week on average if memory serves me. Figure I "saved" several hundred elk and deer from a horrible death for the rest of that lions natural life.

There are lots of hunts we go on where the shots are anti climatic..bear or deer over bait, antelope at a waterhole, elk at a mud wallow for example. Lion hunts are much more strenuous/exciting than those.

I can understand where Shawn is coming from though. I have no desire to hunt camels, giraffes or zebra, but I understand there are others who would find that exciting and can appreciate where they are coming from. Just not for me.

BTW this cat is full mounted standing on a rock in my den, so in some respects he will live forever or at least until I die and pass him on to my heirs if they want it.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Negotiations get tough sometimes..............I got hogs on the permitted list because they are ugly. Then came deer because they destroyed her flower beds and fruit trees. Goats are OK because I never asked. I can't get any cats on the permitted list because they resemble pets too much. Elk and Moose are OK because they are big meat. Bears are off the list. Coyotes got on the list because they ate my daughter's ducks-but wolves are out. My suggestion is hunt what's on your list and be happy; and don't expect it to make sense.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Shot my first mountain lion here in Tucson on March 4th. It was the most exhilerating and physically demanding hunt I have ever done! Chasing dogs hot on a lion's trail and trying to get to him before he bolts is an indescribile and absolutely nerve-racking experience. I wrote up the hunt and Western Hunter Magazine is considering publishing it in their November edition. It is very difficult getting published in a hunting magazine because they have so many offers and you have to compete against the big names in the industry. So, I have my fingers crossed. Good luck in your efforts to convince your wife that this is an ethical hunt. I believe it is and in a month I will have a full body mount to remind me of the incredible experience!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
There is a reason the game dept. issues tags...it is a management tool that is NECESSARY. Here in Oregon the good well-meaning citizens voted to ban hunting cats with dogs. The result has been a huge increase in cats and a major decline in deer and elk. To the point that the state is going to pay "professional" hunters, who hunt with DOGS by the way, to help take the numbers down in areas that are problem areas by their definition. So, instead of the state selling tags and making some money and hunters doing what they like to do...hunt, they will be spending our tax dollars trying to fix a problem that the voters caused!  Hunting cats with dogs is a necessity. You either let hunters do it or you pay to have it done.  So, tell you wife that for every cat that roams the woods one deer (bambi) is killed every week by that cat. That is 52 deer a year by just one cat! Those are the figures that the state biologists use here in Oregon. A cat likes to eat fresh meat unlike a bear...of course, we also banned baiting bears too!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, despite my initial reaction, mountain lion is some of the best tablefare you will ever eat!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Kinda like veal, but it must be cooked thouroughly to 160 degrees internal temp. Cats are susceptible to trichinosis.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Just tell her if hunting lions with dogs is unethical, you'll need the next two or three years off work to stalk one!   :bigsmyl:  CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I would also chip in that I've hunted black bears in this manner. It's not for the out-of-shape, something for nothing sort. It's tough, physically challenging hunting. Like Mickey said, the shot is not necessarily the high point, but that's the same with a lot of what we do. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Bring her and see if she thinks it is fair at the end of the chase.   :D

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Lol - from the title I was getting ready to bet $20 on the lion, but now I see where the thread is going.

So what the heck isn't fair about it?  Would it be more fair if the lion also had a pack of dogs and a bow (though without any thumbs, the lion is gonna have a heck of a time stringing his bow)?

Fair schmair.  You are the apex predator, not the lion.  Good luck - both with the hunt and with the pre-hunt negotiations.  :-D

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
Lol - from the title I was getting ready to bet $20 on the lion,:-D
You're not married are you   :saywhat:

Offline MarineR6er

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Hey Shawn Leonard, how about a small feral cat?
If your hard on yourself life will be easy.  If your easy on yourself life will be hard. -- Momma

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
You live in Silt. I'm sure you can find a track in town after it snows. People change their perspective when a large predator is outside there front door. Especially if you have kids,lap dogs, or cats. Good luck with your dilemma.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Got to go with Farret on the "not married are you". I have been married twenty-four years, three happily, to the same German gal I met in college, I live in constant fear of skillets. My $20 is on the bride!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
A wild house cat, yes. Just as Mickey said a Zebra, Hippo, just not for me. I am not opposed to it at all as I said I feel it would bean exciting challenging hunt just not for me. Shawn
Shawn

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
I agree take her along then see what she says
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©