3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Crew  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew Crew
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Can't wait to hear how Ron and his boys are doing up at Shrewhaven in the glorious U.P. We need to start a campaign to get Mr. LaClair to write a book about their adventures up there. I would be first on the list to buy it!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Crew
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Excellent idea!
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Shrew Haven 2017 is history. I just got home yesterday. Here's some pictures.

The two Eric's planning their hunting strategy, I'm in the background listening so I might learn something.    ;)

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
This year was restricted again to 6 points or better and no does for bowhunters. This little guy might be legal next year

Eric took this picture from his tree stand of a nice doe that wasn't legal either

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
I hunted from the ground this year from this Hidden Hunter blind by Northwoods Wilderness Outfitters.

In this picture I was using my 66" David Miller all bamboo longbow. I also hunted with my Classic Hunter II

If you're wondering how the deer reacted to the blind, I took this picture of a big mature doe from the window of the blind at 12 yards, She never knew I was there.

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
What pattern is on that blind??  Blends in well!!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Those Hidden Hunter blinds are nice, aren't they Ron!

On those cold, misty, foggy days that chill you to the bone, being inside one of those blinds out of the damp cold is a great way to hunt. I have wondered what it might be like to use one when it is really cold with a buddy heater in the blind -- haven't tried it yet, but I might get to it in December.

I have had lots of deer near mine and they don't seem to spend much time looking at it or wondering what it is.

Anyway, keep up with the photos of the fun at Shrewhaven.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the update Ron.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Glad you had a safe trip north and back home Ron, I think the idea about a Shrewhaven book would be great reading!  I have always looked forward to the tales you and your camp mates post for us. Happy hunting and shoot straight.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
The blind I was using is the Predator Deception Green pattern.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
I would also like to see a book by Mr. La Clair.
Sam

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Look forward to the shrew crew report every year.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
Ok got my seat and waiting on dinner so I have time to catch a few lines of the story so go ahead and let her rip...
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Great stuff!  Your tales are always captivating,Ron.

I didn't know Shrewhaven is in the UP.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
We had some warm days early in the week but then it turned cold. The old Fisher wood stove kept the cabin snug and warm. The big kettle on the stove kept hot water available all the time.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:00 AM »
Nothing like a deer camp. Would love those days again.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
As usual, we eat good in camp. Here's Big Eric, Tim Cosgrove's Son-in-law fixing biscuits and gravy for breakfast one morning

Ray Lyon's apple pies from an old family recipe are legendary in Shrew camp. This is a deep dish apple cobbler he made that was desert the night he made Beef Wellington for us.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
About mid week, Eric 2 took this nice chocolate rack 8 point with his Shrew longbow, Heavy Hunter shaft and a Trailmaker broadhead. It was his first buck with a traditional bow.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
It was a great time as always.  Weather was WARM to start out.  75 degrees daytime high on the first day.  That's not wool weather or condusive to bucks moving.  'Lil' Eric, who's not so little anymore, was super excited to bag his first buck.  Being on a track at camp with the boys is always a great time. Pure elation on Eric's part.  Lot's and lot's of does and fawns spotted, so the future is bright for the deer herd if Mother Nature is kind this winter.

Equipment high lights from camp include props to Trailmaker broadheads from Kustom King (OK, Tim Cosgrove, owner, is a camp member, however these heads get sharp and do the job. Eric hit that buck in the liver and it was down very quick.

The Northwooods blinds are incredible for anyone looking for a popup blind. Good camo, doesn't collapse in snow and it's super easy to set up.

Montana Pitch blend, this is an oldy but goody. Works on leather boots like a charm. I have a 25 year old pair of Cabela's Danner all leather boots and they are still kicking (every pun intended)and keeping my feet dry.

Ron LaClair's Shrew Hawk. It continues to amaze me how many times you grab for this, from reaching to hook something in the back of the truck that's just out of fingertip reach to making quick work of making a ground blind.  Mine is going on five years now of tireless service.

Eagle's Rare bourbon.  OK, we enjoy sipping on bourbon in camp and this is one that's 'a great value' for the price.  About $30 here in Michigan, but compared to a $55 to $60 bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak or Blanton's, it's a very good bourbon (not the same quality, but very good) for half the price.

Boiled dinner in camp. After 2 or 3 meals of red meats and potatoes, a good corned beef boiled dinner with carrots, potatoes, reutebega's and cabbage is second to none for keeping the system in check.

Roast black bear.  You don't know what you're missing if you haven't had it cared for and prepared properly.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©