3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Crew  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Crew
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Shrew Haven 2017 is history. I just got home yesterday. Here's some pictures.

The two Eric's planning their hunting strategy, I'm in the background listening so I might learn something.     ;)  

Let me correct that conversation between the Eric's Lobo..."Look Eric, if we don't eat some of the gourmet liver pate that Greg made in this container, Ron and Tim are going to polish it off and we won't have tasted any!!"

I've seen that look on Ron's face in the background before. It's the same as I saw on a dog with a big steak bone as another dog approached.     :biglaugh:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
 Equipment high lights from camp include props to Trailmaker broadheads from Kustom King (OK, Tim Cosgrove, owner, is a camp member, however these heads get sharp and do the job. Eric hit that buck in the liver and it was down very quick.  
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I really enjoy this thread. Thanks

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Like Ray said, the first few days were unseasonably warm but it soon got cold enough to break out the wool. The wool bibs and wool jacket that I ordered from Teresa kept me warm and comfortable in my blind.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
Ron, you see many bear in your area?  We hunted maybe 10 miles from your place in Sept and went 3 for 3.

Also any wolves? We also had many wolves on camera and had one run out in front of us while baiting.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
Excellent.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
 Ron, you see many bear in your area? We hunted maybe 10 miles from your place in Sept and went 3 for 3.  
Jon, the bears were in the area earlier when the berries were ripe, but we didn't see any the time we were bow hunting there. As for wolves, I didn't hear any but some of the others heard a few.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
Shrew Crew:

As a life-long Southern Boy (now 68 Years young) I always look forward to your adventures up North.  I have hunted Black Bear in Manitoba, Idaho and Northern Arkansas but never Whitetails.  Thank you for sharing your adventures with us and best of luck to all.

PS.  I really love your cabin.  Very nice.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
Shrew Haven is a place where there are no distractions. It is a place where like minded people get together to hunt in a wilderness environment and share their experiences with each other. A place where we can get away, even for just a short time the modern fast pace world that we live in the rest of the year. It's a place where we can relax and only worry about where we're going to hunt tomorrow.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Doug,

Thank you for the kind words. It was a little 'Southern Boy' temperature early on.  The cabin was built in the 1930's by the CCC.  From the outside, when we saw them by the side of the road they looked broken down and trashed.  However Ron went with one of the guys to look at them (6 of them were sitting there for sale), the insides were in incredible shape.  We spent countless hours remodeling inside (building bunk room, filling in the chimney hole that went right through the floor where the current wood stove resides), running gas lights, building the kitchen, adding a metal roof and most time consuming was stripping, rechinking and staining the outside of the cabin. The floors and verticle pine paneling and windows are untouched and just as they were when built. Of course Ron's brought in some memorabilia to hang on the walls too. Ron loves the lazyboy chair by the stove, but my favorite is the big ole rocking chair Ron brought up from his shop. That sit's next to the front door.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
always look forward to this post! are there any trout in the creek?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
The new addition, Little Haven with Lobo's Lair

Shrew Havens fancy new privy

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
I always look forward to this thread. Thanks guys for sharing your pictures and stories.    :archer2:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the history Ron.  I can tell from your description it was a labor of love by all and I commend all of you for the beautiful result.  I can just imagine coming in from a long day's hunt in the cold wind and snow, only to smell the prepared feast on the stove, the smell of wood burning in the stove and the warmth of the fire and great friends.

As close to heaven as you can get.  God bless.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
A video of Shrew Haven deer camp, it starts a little into the video

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I wish so bad I grew up with something like this...or had a place to disappear to for a week a year.
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
Business concerns kept me away from ShrewHaven this year and it truly broke my heart. Such a great place, and such wonderful and loyal friends.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
We missed you in camp this year Sledge. Young Eric did a good job keeping the wood stove stoked and he mastered the procedure of raking the coals forward.    :)

Where were you when the video was made in 2013?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©