3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need better clothes - input wanted  (Read 974 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
I need better clothes - input wanted
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
I need some better clothing for hunting colder weather.  

When I hunting in colder temps where carrying in extra clothes is necessary, I need something better than what I have.  What typically happens now is I walk in with bare minimum.  Literally walk in in shorts, t- shirt, and rubber boots no matter what the temps are.  

I typically get to the base of my stand, stand there for close to 20 mins allowing my body temp to drop, get dressed, start my ascend, then i'm sweating by the time I get to the top.

I am really looking for 2 things:  

1.  A base layer that will draw the moisture away from my body and not make me cold due to the moisture.  

2.  Upper body layers that aren't bulky and allow movement.  

I would like it to be the least amount of bulk as possible.  

Any help is appreciated.  

Side note:  I am not someone who is able to drop $600 on clothing.  Would like to stay as cost conscience as possible
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need better clothes - input wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
When I start sweating, I know I am moving too fast.  That said,

Get a decent base layer.  You don't need to spend a ton of money.  I like Duofold.  It seems to be a good value.  I've worn the same stuff for many years.  It's not outrageously priced like some of the higher tech stuff you will be recommended.

One or two layers on your arms and a vest are great to reduce bulk. I use a poly base layer, usually Duofold and then a wool shirt or jacket.  I like the Asbell stuff.  I use wool sweaters (usually from Goodwill) if it's in the 30's or below. My leg's don't get super cold so I don't like to bulk up there. I will also use wool pants when it's really cold.  I have  a pair of Cabela's I got on clearance for like $70.  They last forever.

A Milwaukee electric coat is sure nice when it gets really cold up here.  But they are expensive and require some battery attention.  You might not need this extreme down there.

Rain gear is super important.  Don't skimp there IMO.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
I wear a Terramar long-undie top and bottom.  ($50)

Columbia Gallatin wool blend bibs ($120)
(also a pair of poly blend quilted bibs I "inherited" from Adkmountainken - Thanks Ken!)  The quilted bibs are nice because you can unzip the legs from the top down to "air out" after moving and regulate the heat.  The wool if it is colder than 40°F when I head out.

Then I go for a polarfleece anorak or a wool flannel shirt - depending.  It won't show so this is just from "street clothes".  Great place to pick up Woolrich shirts is the local "re-purposed clothing" store or church rummage sales.  ($5)

Then I have a L.L. Bean "Waterfowl" sweater vest of thick and tight polarfleece.  This is a great layer.  This year I hardly needed it.  ($100)

Top it all off with a Browning 4X Microfleece jacket ($100)  Good in light rain or wind as well.

This gear gets me through NY's bow season - 70°F to 30°F.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
As far as bang for the buck for Whitetail hunting I would recommend the Cabela's or bass pro fleece with a good layer underneath. I've been comfortable in the single digits with it. A quality wool base layer makes a big difference!

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
You'll get the full gamut of recs here -some of it costing 1000's for a set.  Personally, I hunt for 2 weeks back home in WV in Nov.  The best thing I do is wear a sacrificial base layer to hike up the mountains...I carry an industrial zip loc bag and strip down and put on dry synthetic base layers when I get to my spot and put the sweaty stuff in the bag. I personally like fleece for my outer layers - light, breathable, and dries fast.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Just get ASAT cotton hunting clothes, and move slower.  Suckiest part of hunting in heat/humidity, you can only stay so cool.  Why I love winter, easier to add layers.  Like they said, duofold, or thin polypro, or even bamboo, wicks away and stays cool

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
I did a 3/4 mile mostly up hill last night.  I started getting hot on the steep part. The thing about good wool is that it is warm when wet.  There was a good breeze up top and I dried out in good time.  That is the other thing about good wool it breaths enough to dry out.  Me standing on the edge of a cron field with my jacket open did not seem to matter to the big blond fox 150 yards away, I believe they call that color phase a Samson, he was mousing.  Towards sunset a freshening breeze picked up and I zipped up, then realizing that i had no light with me.  At ten minutes of hunting time left, I stood up to head out with some light, coughed a little and busted a buck on the trail where I was predicting a deer would becoming from.  I have had a number of times that my wrong choice of clothing had disrupted a good hunting opportunity, it is important to get it right.  This is the first time that I can blame myself for screwing up because I had no light source for the downhill hike back to my car.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
Rookies! Geezzz!!     :rolleyes:
Lol.. I love my merino wool. I watch for sales and buy on discount
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
I found an Eddie Bauer goose down jacket (650 rating) at Sam's for $28. I know it's not quiet, but I've worn it under a loose fitting coat. Temps have been in the upper 30's to low 40's. Kept me comfy.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
"walking slower" sounds good, but, the distances I walk, slower isn't an option.  I seriously don't know anyone who sweats like me.  It's crazy.  I walked in last year with next to nothing on with the temp being sub 20(that's crazy cold for here).  Got to the base of my try close to 40 mins before first light.  I stood there in nothing but my undies for about 10 mins until I was comnpletely chilled then started putting my clothing on.  When I was completely dressed I was still chilled.  I began my ascend on a summit climber with the bar all the way around.  Even with me sitting on the bar, not stretching it out and going very slow, I was pouring sweat when I got to the top.  

I am trying to find a way to get completely dressed in my stand, but that can be a little more risky than I like to be.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
It could be a glandular issue.  Everyone's thyroid runs at a different speed.  When people come into my house on hot summer days, they have to stop and get their breath.  I find that 67 degrees is a good indoor temp in the summer.  Then the other night I took the dog out, that was the coldest 43 degrees ever.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
I'm not big on (well I HATE) the majority of new "tech" clothing for one reason or another.  However I've been really pleased with the "omniwool" long john tops/bottoms they have at Sam's Club.  Like $17 bucks each.  Buy them a size big unless you like them tight.  Its merino/polyester mix, wick nicely and don't seem to reek like the polyester only stuff (like UA).  These aren't heavy enough for a single layer, but an nice first layer.  In freezing temps lately one of these with a sweater and a light/medium wool jacket has worked well for me.

R

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
There are two really nice sets of clothing g in the classifieds right now...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
Eat more. It's added warm layers to my frame for years.   ;)  

Listen to Scifres, he's truly the cheapes....er, most frugal person I've ever known.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
Maybe switch to a light weight Lone Wolf/XOP hang-on with their sticks and set it up in your reduced clothing, then when cooled down & dressed climb up and hunt... I totally walk in Light, set stand, then final dress... Makes a big difference. My layers as necessary start with Under Armour & Merino Wool OR individual of either, pending temps. Then an outer layer... Just a thought.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I've found a good rain coat to be one of the biggest aides in keeping warm.  It blocks the wind from piecing through your insulation layers and allows you to KEEP the warmth that your body creates.  I'm pretty trim (read no built in insulation) and tend to run low grade fevers on and off throughout the day from my Crohns disease.  I can hunt into the single digits in wind with:  
  • cotton thermals or occasionally cotton T-shirt - I get cheap stuff from big box stores when on sale
  • decent pants/shirts - think midweight microfleece, flannel, fleece, etc
  • +/- a fleece jacket or vest depending on conditions - my jacket is a $20 WalMart one in camo, my vest is a $15 Columbia in brownish grey I got on sale
  • Rain suit to block out winds - Mine is by Herters and wasn't too pricey at $50 on sale for the pant and jacket
  • Fleece beanie hat or my crushable wool Scala outback style hat
  • midweight gloves from walmart to keep bulk down and tuck them in pockets as needed
  • cheap wool socks
  • good boots that keep your feet dry

With the above clothing it'll put you in the woods in most conditions, rain or shine, wind or not, from 80* thru just below freezing.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Merino wool undies are really nice, but they are expensive.  I really like wool vests.  IF you are not walking around wool doesn't weight that much and it keeps me comfy.  As I said, vests.  They give bulk around the core but leave your arms unbulked... you generally need far less on your arms if your core is kept warm.  If you can't afford wool, go with sweaters, but remove the arms.

Wear not much on your walk in to your stand.  Carry your gear in on your back.  If you sweat walking in you might be in a bit of a bind in a short while.  In cold weather, I generally just wear my longjohn tops and pants and carry the rest.

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »
For your outer layer take a look at the G2 Whitetail series products from Predator Camo
Keep in mind Pants run small

https://stjoeriverbows.com/t/predator-camo
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Merino wool is what you want. There are several dealers that sell it in different price ranges, from Cabela’s & Bass Pro to First Lite, Duluth trading Co, etc.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
Merino wool next to skin is very good but you will still sweat. Leave all the clothes off you can until done climbing.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©