3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far from your stand?  (Read 703 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
How far from your stand?
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »
Do ya park?  Be it truck or 4 wheeler etc?  

W the truck there are spots I have to walk 1000 yds

But w the wheeler I get as close as I can....I think the wheeler is less disruptive than me actually walking through
Tim B

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far from your stand?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
Varies with me as I hunt public land and use my bike or canoe to escape the madness. My bike rides are probably 1000 yds with a short walk to follow and my canoe usually much less distance perhaps 100-400 yd paddle with a 100 -400 yd walk from the water.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
I walk out the back door to the woods just one flight shot away.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
1000 yds is about a 1/2 mile.  I'd just walk ( if possible) to avoid the detection.
 With people using ATVs etc today I'd think 1/2 mile wouldn't get you far from other folks.
 Remember you picked that stand spot for a reason. Why drive in a screw it all up.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
on our farm it varies......sometimes drive the tractor within 50 yards of one stand....had a scrape made right beside my Jeep once in our open pasture......so go figure ?????  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
500 yards on the short ones, over a mile on the long one.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
I only hunt private ground so seldom over 1/4 mile anymore.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
It depends..... on a lot of things.  I generally walk in though, have little fear of walking.

Back in Illinois ( in the 70s), public land shotgun season, I remember one fella parked right under his tree every year, and he generally got shooting.  Doubt that would work for bow hunting though.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
You have no fear of walking?  At the moment, I can barely walk.  Moving leaves around this noon, I got a sneezing fit that took me to the ground.  A perfect day for my wife to get close to her 14" six pointer again and not shoot.   She had it around her for 10 to 12 minutes last night, as close as 5 or 6 yards and she said she never had a chance to get the bow up.  She claimed it had made her and kept staring her down from different positions.  It is one of those things when one is a semi-still hunter.  You can get into things that blind or tree sitter closer to the car does not.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
On my property the closest is 230 yards and the farthest is 800. When I ground hunt on public land, it could be any distance.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Not me. Bad knees and when it’s cold they ache even more. I hunt private ground and usually park around 100 yards from my stand. I pull off in the brush and kind of hide the bike but it is black and forest green so it doesn’t draw much attention. I just make sure I’m walking into the wind to my stand.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
Pavan.  maybe I should add  " at the moment" ( I have little fear of walking).  I hurt my knee last night, and although there is no pain when relaxed, if I make a certain move ( almost like hyperextending the leg) i feel it.... wowie !

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
I use a 4 wheeler for getting within 100 yards of a few of my stands, walk up to a mile to another, and sometimes have my wife drop me off within a couple hundred yards of another.

I was scheduled to have a knee replaced until they diagnose me with A-fib. Today I carried my Summit stand, fanny pack and extra clothes a mile back to the house. I just keep pushing it.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Depends on where I'm hunting. I'm pretty much always on public and certain areas I walk waaaaaaay back in. Others I can shoot an arrow back to the truck.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
My SUV stays in the garage and I walk 300 yards to my stand.  ;-)

Stand #2 is about 700 yards from my back door.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
Idk bout the opening post. Think about something, if the deer rode 4 wheelers would it be easier or harder to hear em coming??
Now if they're constantly used in an area maybe they might not spook but they'd surely notice you and smell it in parked near a tree imo.
I walk to my spots but have used a quad before on real long hikes and walked a bit from there
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 05:13:00 AM »
I should have added that I'm on private farms.  All of them are farmed and used for recreation of sorts so the deer there are pretty used to machines - tractors and wheelers.  
I kinda think I'm less alarming to the deer by riding through a area than walking through.....just wondered others thoughts
Tim B

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
I have a small plot of land and a nice tractor. Many times I will be using the brush hog and deer will be feeding 50 yds away lots of times machines don't seem to bother the animals.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
Between 50 yards and 5 miles. I hunt public land and am pretty mobile. I cannot use atvs but can canoe in. Sometimes I'll boat a bit. Often I just walk it. I try not to walk more than a couple miles but I will for a really great spot in perfect weather conditions. In the area that I have to bring out the whole body intact to check at the check station, I specialize in finding the places I can make it happen as close to the road as possible. In areas that I can bone out meat in the field and haul out only the food I like to get away from others.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
Well then if they are used to it you shouldn't have any problem parking close.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©