3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far from your stand?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far from your stand?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
The most I have normally walked in the past is between 1/2 and 1 mile. Now, on my own small tract it is only a few hundred yards.
Sam

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by TIM B:

I kinda think I'm less alarming to the deer by riding through a area than walking through.....just wondered others thoughts
Tim B
I agree Tim.  I have driven very close to deer on a 4 wheeler and they will usually just step into the trees or cover as you drive by.  I have also been sitting in my stands and watch deer as the farmer drives by on his 4-wheeler - they hardly seem to mind.  Same thing with turkey.  Lots of farmers and ranchers using 4 wheelers on a daily basis for various chores around here.  Deer just seem to get used to them.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
Depends on which stand I sit. some are only 40 yards some are a mile.  I like having the option of close ones for last minute hunts.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I like to slip in as quiet as possible. On my lease I never park closer than 300 yards away. On the public land I sometimes hunt ATV's aren't allowed so it's a hike. Probably close to a mile. Not through the woods, but close to a mile in on an access road then 100 to 150 yards off the access road depending on the spot.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
For pre-dawn walk-ins, I top out at 3 trail miles, which takes about 90 min at a good pace.  I've gone as far as 8 miles in one morning but won't do that again.  Most are 1-2 miles, though.

For off-trail, I stay within a quarter mile of the nearest trail or road.  Much more than that and I'm a blundering fool making all sorts of racket & sometimes get myself hurt.

For evenings, I'll stay out so long as I can be at some major landmark near a road or trail before darkness hits.  At that point, I feel that I have all the time in the world to get to where I'm going for the night.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
I have one or two spots where I will use the quad. I will park 2-300 yards away from my stand. One day I used the quad to bring in a hang-on, then parked the quad 75 yards away and hunted the stand. I should've stayed on the quad, two does walked within feet of it.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
I hunt thick rain forest and it varies from 100 yards to 3/4 of a mile. The deciding factor is access. The stand where I killed my 2016 is 3/4 mile walk in, because there is no vehicle access.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
I generally hunt on public land and walk in to my stand. Last year's walk was around a mile in following hiking trails from nearest parking.
Aim small,miss small

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
Last night I kind of messed up.  Taking the the almost mile hike in, I decided i was tired and stopped about 150 yards short. I justified the wind direction, that going any further would just make the walk back to the car longer.  Justifications are great things.  I have not seen the 12 pointer the last few days, it is a monster, but I have heard that anyone got it either.  About twenty minutes before sundown a buck was chasing two does around at wooded ditch where I was heading.  It was the same boxy heavy racked eight pointer that I let pass at another location a couple of weeks ago, but the big 12 was right down the hill at the time.  Last night I would have shot him.   Those dang deer ran back and forth and all around that 20 by 50 yard ditch the entire evening and never got close to me, other than a yearling doe that was avoiding the hassle, which laid down in the grass about ten yards from me, on the other side of the cedars that I was using for cover.  I got the the end of shooting hours and that buck was still going at it as I was walking away.  I know if I would have tried to move in on him either him or for certain one of the does would have messed the stalk up on the open switch grass slope.  The hike back to the car was not as bad as i expected, so I was a bit upset with my laziness.  However, today the front door is about as long a walk as I got in me.  It is that SI joint thing again.  Time to call the chiro.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©