3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grunt calls  (Read 1240 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Grunt calls
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
What grunt tubes do you use?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grunt calls
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
If I need to grunt, or bleat, to stop a buck or get his attention...
I just usually "mouth call"
Never had much success "calling" deer...??
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Not sure, I'm still using the first one I bought 30+ yrs ago.
 I'm sure any name brand would be just fine.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
I've always have two with me.

One is the True Talker from Hunter Specialties.
Good call with good range of sounds from deep grunts to doe bleats by sliding your finger up and down the reed through a flexible rubber outer coating. It also has a wooden tang next to the reed to prevent the reed from freezing during those cold November hunts due to vapor from your mouth.
Down side is it's not very loud for those windy days or if a buck is out there a couple hundred yards.

Number two is the Buck Roar from Primos.
Good loud grunt with a snort wheez tube attached.
This is my go to call for the rut, you can get very aggressive with it when rattling.
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I use the extinguisher awesome call
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
I have a Quaker Boy Buck Hammer. It's a tiny little thing and it sounds great. It makes surprisingly deep grunts as well as doe bleats. I dropped mine last December right after I shot a buck down in Ohio and I didn't have time to go looking for it. When I got down there again in April, I went straight out to the spot where I had shot from, and there it was. A little dirty, but untouched by squirrels and mice..
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
I have  no doubt I've chased more deer away with those darn things than ever called them in.  Watched them turn and scoot.  I must have lots of timid bucks.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
I was in my tree stand one evening and another hunter came in and climbed up into a tree 80 yards to my left.  He had no clue I was there.  An hour in half later I had several does a basket rack and a ok 8 point feeding 15 yards to my right.  I also had two large bucks about 70 yards away feeding on the same path those deer had came in on.  I knew I was going to get one of them.  Just then the guy to my left blows his grunt the two big bucks diss appeared the doe seemed agitated and the two smaller bucks were both interested.  He blew his grunt again and the two two smaller bucks headed his way with the ok 8 point leading the way.  I waited and heard and the buck crash off and then I heard him hoop in excitement.  I climbed down and announced my self he was very excited and had a hard time believing I was there the whole time.  He was very excited the had called the two bucks in.  He hadn't seen any deer until after he grunted.  I helped him track his deer and drag it out.  Those two mature bucks were having nothing to do with that grunt tube however the two smaller ones liked it.  Since then I will only grunt call when I see a deer that is not coming in or is leaving the area.  I don't want to be scaring off animals I haven't even seen.
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
I usually carry 2 also. One for light days and one for windy days. The loud one is a MAD growl I think. The light call is either a HS True Talker or the Extinguisher. I Have grunted several in with this combination. I have also sent a dandy or two the other way...
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
The extinguisher is very versatile.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
I grunt with my voice, have for years. Very effective at the right time. My late brother was featured in a bowhunter magazine article written by Dr. David Samuel back in the early '70s about "ERPING". That was before all the commercial calls came out.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
It depends on where you hunt. For years I used a Hally caller. That had the creaky door sounding grunt that just worked. Called lots of deer with it. Many grunt calls imo are too deep for where I hunt. That's why people aren't having luck at times I bet.
The Hally caller went finally 2 years ago. Now I'm using one by Mike Yingling. It's good and beautiful but no where near the Hally.
Also is a solid Osage turned wooden call.  Kinda like the ones with the tube on it as I can direct the sound.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
I use a Flextone Rage. I've never called a deer in that I know of. It just doesn't seem to work around here.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
I like my handmade calls from Jeremy Holden.  When used at the right time, they can work well.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Like GDPolk says:::Jeremy Holden makes not only beautiful but great sounding calls   :archer2:

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
I just modified my Holden grunt call. I put a stretch out rubber tube from a commercial call on it in lieu of the more rigid that came with it.
I think the call with the un stretched tube sounds exactly like it did before the modification. But the stretch tube gives a lot of variation if desired. I have not yet had a deer respond to any call or rattle this year. Maybe this will change my luck!
Tedd

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
I bought a lone star call on here a couple of years ago.

No sure if he is still making them or not?

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »
I don't know why I have any faith at all in a grunt call-- had one excellent response a few years ago but not much positive I can clearly connect to grunting since. I keep at it, trying new ones looking for the right sound. I have a drawer full of them.  So far the old Woodswise "Buc n Doe" sounds best to me-- I have several (you know, in case I lose one in the woods) but only one of them has the right pitch. Looking for a younger, less intimidating sound. The deep grunt makes a lot of deer run off. More like a "quack" is what I am thinking.

And rattling? Around here, forgetaboutit....

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
Jeremy Holden nuff said
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Horsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
I would rather go into the deer woods without my boots than without my grunt call.  Mine is an old Carlton call that makes no sound but a simple grunt.  I never grunt unless I can see the deer and it appears that the deer is not on a path to come past me.  I give single grunts consecutively louder until the deer reacts by stopping or turning his head.  At that point, I know I have his undivided attention.  I then give one or two low, muffled grunts and put the call up.  At least half the time, the buck will change direction and come in.  I have never had a buck spook from the call and does totally ignore it.

--Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©