3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good, bad, and amazement in one hunt  (Read 350 times)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Good, bad, and amazement in one hunt
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
When the morning downpour ended at 8 this morning I headed right to the woods. After only 15 minutes, I spied a dandy ten slipping behind me about 80yds off. I believe it was a buck I have pics of and was the main reason for my hunting this property. I tried a grunt and a snort wheeze, but he never flinched. He acted as though he had someplace to be, and nothing was gonna slow him down. That was just enough to put me on high alert.

This stand is in a split trunked tree surrounded by thick cover on three sides, so deer are usually not visible til they are within 60-70yds. So decisions and shots can happen quick. About twenty minutes later I spy another deer doing the old dog shake to dry off. A quick look tells me it’s a decent 8 with 8-9” g2s. He heads directly towards the back of the tree and I decide if he gives me a shot I’m gonna take it. And this ends the good part of the story.

Now comes the bad. He crosses behind the tree giving me a twelve yard shot. I have to shoot back behind the stand between the two trunks of the stand tree. I had practiced this ahead of time and thought I was ready for it. What I wasn’t ready for was him being that close. As I drew, I could feel the lower string pull into the tree. I leaned out a little more to clear and turned the arrow loose. I rushed, and dropped the ball. I normally shoot with feather touching nose, but can’t remember doing so. I also KNOW to pick a spot and didn’t. The shot hit high mid body. The buck bolted and dove off the side of the ridge. I saw the bright red arrow flip out of the exit side as he ran away. After about thirty minutes I got down and confirmed what I already knew. Very little blood for the first ten yards then nothing. But could not find the arrow at first. That part of the story will come later.

I backed out and called a buddy. We agreed to give him at least 4 hrs. An hour later, the rain started and continued for the next two. My heart was sinking. Four hours later we did our best to decipher tracks and trails to figure out where he had gone. Amazingly my bud found one bed where he had laid down about 200yds away. There was only  the slightest hint of diluted blood in the bed, and no indicator as to which way he had gone. A good tip here.... my bud would have never noticed the blood but had noticed a swelled up tick in the bed that had dropped off the buck. After several hours of searching all nearby hollows, we gave up the search. I hope he survives, but only time will tell.

I’m down, and disappointed in myself. But I will be in stand again in the morning. I know that if you spend enough time in the woods, $#/+ will happen. I had thought hard about even telling this story here.  I don’t need sympathy or a butt chewing(already took care of that myself) I simply wanted it to serve as a reminder to all. Take your time and do your best to do as you practice. Adrenaline and bucks can make us all hurry and make mistakes.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good, bad, and amazement in one hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Now for those of you that stuck it out and read my long winded story.....here comes the amazing part.
Remember that arrow that I couldn’t find? Well after about 30 minutes of searching, I found it.
Hopefully you can find the arrow  in the first pic. And hopefully I can explain this so all can understand. The entrance hole is on the deers left side with exit on the right. I took the first pic standing on the path that the deer ran out. The line and direction of travel is indicated by the blue arrow.

Believe me, I wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t there. This arrow had to flip out of the deer. Turn 180 degrees. Go over the deers back. And stick in a trees four yards away from the path. Truely AMAZING!!!!

Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
That is pretty crazy.....  I had an arrow drive straight into a quartering away buck, saw that it didn't pass through, heard him crash. My sin f I understand the back half of the arrow about 10 yards up the trail.  Couldn't find the business end until the next day.  It was at the impact spot....  weird.

Hang in there! Nerves get the best of all of us!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline cchoward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:07:00 AM »
I had a similar shot (minus the "magic arrow") on a six point last year.  It happens.  It sucks.  Good luck tomorrow! I'll be in the woods as well.
Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Maybe Oswald was JFK's only shooter. That's crazy. Maybe the buck kicked it?

I hit a doe high a few years ago and found the arrow 50 yards or so sticking straight up in the ground. She ran off with it hanging out both sides, but there was no blood on the feather end. I assume she pulled it out from the feathers and dropped it point down. Weird things do happen.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »
Same thing happened with my arrow a few years ago, TMH. I thought maybe it flipped out and up as she ran off and stuck perfectly vertical in the ground, though it would've had to fly up kinda far then miss all the little branches on the way down. The arrows path was centered through the ribs horizontally even though I shot her from about 15 feet up. Thought briefly that someone else might have found it and stuck it in the ground like that but never saw anyone else in the area...yep weird stuff.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©