3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone not use a bow quiver while hunting  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone not use a bow quiver while hunting
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
I'm a ground hunter and suppose I'm generally a back quiver guy. It just suits my uses. I use a few side/Lakota style quivers on occasion, but I would NEVER attach a quiver, or anything, to my bow. It completely throws off the balance I worked hard to establish.

I like back quivers because I can load that sucker up. I've carried dozens of arrows for extended stays in the woods, and even used them to carry small game during a hunt. I'm due to make a new one and just got some real nice leather for it. Gonna kick it up a notch this time since I got some new leather working tools.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
I use a Hill style quiver with a pocket on it 95% of the time.Snack and water ,extra string and extra tab in the pocket.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
When I was a kid I climbed trees with a Kwikee quiver, no 'safety hood'  give them a bump and safety hood flew off anyway.  never got cut once, but one day when it was about 5 below I got a shot at a deer.  I missed, went for another arrow, wood, and broke it trying to get it out of the quiver slots.   I went to a back quiver and stayed with them since.   The same year my hunting buddy had a shot at a small buck, he had a Bear 4 banger with spring wires, rattle magic with Bear 308 arrows.  Who ever had it before him had something fatter than 308s.  He drew at the deer noticed his arrows were not fixed in the cup, shot, and cut his bow string and blew up his Herters recurve.  Even today with the improvements, the name of the game with bow quivers is get the best one that holds your size shaft secure.   Some of them still, that have been hanging onto 23/64 cedars can stretch and then not like carbons.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
I use a back quiver. Just don't like having something on my bow. I have a howard hill thats broken in and I could do a cartwheel without an arrow falling out.
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
Arrowmaster by Rod Jenkins for me, tried bow quivers several times and they are not for me.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Years ago I missed a nice deer while using a larger quiver on the bow. I had put the quiver on the bow not realizing it would change the point of impact. I took the quiver off and never used it again. About 10 years ago I ran into someone with a small 3 arrow quiver that seem to have some merit. We bought his leather and dies and started making it to sell. Since then we have made numerous improvements, and have added a variety of quivers from 1 arrow to 6 arrow.

The point that I'd like to make is that all bow quivers are not alike. We have tested several quivers on the market with mixed success. Some will affect the point of impact significantly, while others will not. We guarantee the 3 and 4 arrow quivers we make not to negatively affect the arrow impact.

For half day hunts I can't imagine using anything other than a 3 or 4 arrow bow quiver.

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Years ago I started paying attention to who actually killed stuff, yes Hunters that actually kill stuff. And just don't talk about stuff. I noticed that these people who actually killed stuff, yes actually killed stuff, most of these guys had hero pictures with bow Quivers on their bows!!!!... Therefore I use a bow quiverrrrr

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
No offense Charles but that's the most ridiculous reply I've ever heard. Are you serious?
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Got any hero pics otherwise John????

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Don't know what a hero pic is, saw many photos of Fred Bear, Howard Hill and other legends of the trad archery hunting world using back quivers. I got nothing against a bow quiver just don't care for them myself. Why are you hijacking my post with this nonsense anyway.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
We have a product we call the Solo Stalker which is basically a broadhead sheath that ties to your bow.  Essentially it is an one arrow quiver.  It is the lightest "quiver" I know of and it keeps those sharp edges covered.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks Larry, might check that out.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
Bow Mate Elite is what I have been using. Also have several brands of bow mounted quivers, Cat Quiver which the idea is great but the ordeal of removing and replacing an arrow is a pain in the ass. Back quivers make too much noise, especially when I bend over to look at something, which I do more than I realized until I put on a back quiver. I've settled on the Bow Mate, it's quiet, protects fletching which is good in wet places like Alaska. I like not having anything attached to my bow, might not make for great hero pics but is good for carrying and shooting consistently.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I never use a bow quiver on my Hill style bows. Just don't like them. I hunt solely from stands, so I can carry a back quiver in and either hang it on my ladder stand or lay it on the ground beside me in the ground blind. This is the most convenient arrangement for my style of hunting.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©