3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does this seem right or too stiff (tuning)  (Read 380 times)

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
Does this seem right or too stiff (tuning)
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
So I have a vintage Red wing hunter (Pre head-ski) I picked up before deer season. Shoots field points great and is a pretty fast bow. It is 46#@28 and 49#@29" (My DL). However, I have been having a heck of a time broadhead tuning it. For the longest time I thought it was just me or I was getting contact somewhere because my GT 500 spine, 30.5" with 3-4" feathers, cap wrap, 30 grains of paracord (about 7 inches) in the back, 100 grain insert and 125 grain heads (total weight 510 grains) were flying erratically with BH's. Not consistently left, right, high or low. Then I decided to try an arrow I have tuned for a heavier bow, GT 400, cut to 31.625", standard insert with 120 grains or insert weight, 125 grain point, 3-4" feathers and cap wrap (total arrow weight 550 grains). This stiffer arrow flies much better. Does the 400 spine arrow sound a bit too stiff? Observation tells me it is a better fit but past experience and logic tells me this is way too stiff. It is a faster bow than my new Grizzly (49@28) shooting the same 500 spine arrows by 8-10 fps. Comments please.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does this seem right or too stiff (tuning)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
Ive learned to let the bow tell me what it wants and that sounds like what youve done.  Id recommend bareshafting, but ultimately your broadheads are going where you want them to.  Can you verify broadhead tune out to 30 or 35 yards--- that would show any micro tuning issues.  If they still fly great then youve got the right combo for that bow.  Regarding the paracord, ive never been a fan of putting things in my arrows-- id rather increase weight up front as i tune for higher foc.  Sounds like youre good to go!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Ya, the bow should "talk" to you, BUT!!!  I'd suggest that 500 spine, 30.5 length with (to me) incredibly high weight points (225 grains) will make your arrows way too weak for dynamic spine.  The 400 spine shafts will most likely be better if you insist on the (really) heavy weight points.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Try it without the para cord. If I read correctly it’s at back of the shaft? Maybe it’s causing an out of balance that shows up with broadheads. Have seen this with arrows that had long (6”) footings.

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I was thinking that as a possibility M60. There is a story why I had the paracord. I have a new Grizzly, which is my wet weather bow. It has a brush rest and I shoot arrows with vanes out of it on rainy days. I originally made these arrows as a feather fletched version and was trying to match the weight on the rear to the vaned arrows. That is how these arrows started their life at least.

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
So I had a chance to try the 500 spine without the paracord. Much more stable and BH's impacting about 6 inches left of field points and a tad low. So stiff and a bit nock high but is consistent now. This makes sense, paracord was causing the disturbance is my guess. I can work on this from here. Thanks everyone for your input.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Get rid of that paracord in the rear of the arrow. That is the last place you want to add weight. The only thing you do is messing up the dynamics with this setup. Is that glued to the nock???
Recurves generally like 10# static spine over the stated draw weight at your draw.
Stu Millers Calculator shows your arrow to be around 20# dynamically underspined for that combination.
A GT 55/75=spine 400 at 30.5" with 50 grain insert and 125 grain tip shows slightly stiff. I would try this combo with 125 and 145 grain tips. Remember, broadheads have a different mass distribution than field points and most of the time you can shoot 20-30 grain heavier broadheads with no ill effects. In addition, during a hunting situation, your draw may actualy shorten due to thick clothes, that's why I would shoot borderline weak over too stiff.
If you want to add weight, glue flush fitting nylon cord to the back of the insert, preferably not more than 2/3 of the length of the arrow. 1/3 is best for weight tapering and FOC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©