3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support  (Read 742 times)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
My "good" hunting boots bit the dust.  

I do have muck boots which I love.  I have some Bean boots, which are nice because they are light weight.  Neither, however, provide really good ankle support.

I'm recovering from a minor ankle problem.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good fitting boot that they think will work well.  I;m guessing it should probably be a high boot with laces to keep my ankle in place.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks ahead!
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
I have a pair of Irish Setters that support my ankles. Not the warmest however. What brand were your good boots ?

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Meindl Denali's are the best I've ever came across. They are a little pricey but last forever if taken care of and far exceed others in comfort.
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Bobaru, I have worked as an orthopedic nurse for 15+ yrs, what we recommend and what I have used personally for ankle support is an over the counter lace up ankle brace. Easy to use, light and gives good support
 Can be worn instead of a stiff boot or worn with a stiff boot for added support.
 Just a thought.  Should fit inside the muck boot and might save you a few bucks on new boots.   Good luck.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Mike, the boots that wore out were Cabelas.  But, I believe they were a Danner boot.

I'll look into the Setters.

Kevin, that's good advise.  I have an ankle brace.  I'll test it out to see if I can get it to work and let you know.
Bob

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
Ditto on the Irish Setters.  I have a pair I just put the fourth set of laces on last week!

I have put miles and miles and miles on mine - deer, grouse, showshoeing and just walking the woods - in the last 15 years or so.  Still going strong.

I believe mine are the 809 ("Elk Hunter") model.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
Bobaru, I have worked as an orthopedic nurse for 15+ yrs, what we recommend and what I have used personally for ankle support is an over the counter lace up ankle brace. Easy to use, light and gives good support
 Can be worn instead of a stiff boot or worn with a stiff boot for added support.
 Just a thought.  Should fit inside the muck boot and might save you a few bucks on new boots.   Good luck.
x2 on the brace.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
Irish Setter, Chippewa, Georgia, Carolina, Danner.....
Lots of good boot makers out there!!! It's the "style" that makes the differance!

What you want, is a good "Logger" style boot. Forget about all the so called "Hunting Boots"... What you want is a sturdy, insulated boot, that is made for the woods. They will be HEAVY, and EXPENSIVE, and they will also last you for years.
Loggers make their living in the woods. Every day, hard work and abuse, in rugged terrain and conditions. Their boots are as important as their chainsaw... If it doesn't hold up, it's a waste of money!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
I just picked up a pair of Irish Setters, too.  I'm not sure the specific offshoot (I think they were Deer Trackers), but they are great!  I walked up and down some pretty steep hills with a lot of thick underbrush and I had no troubles with my ankles.  It was also around O degrees out and my feet were nice and toasty.  Finally, another time I was out, I was walking near a slough and there was a patch that wasn't completely frozen yet.  Had water past my ankles, but my feet were nice and dry!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Last evening, I put on the brace I had and then put on my Muck boots.  The one with the brace was a little tight.  But, I walked around the house for a couple hours with it that way.  It worked just fine.

Went hunting today.  Through the brace in my pack just in case I started coming up lame.  The really good news is that my ankle was able to handle the stress of walking through muddy fields - without the brace.

Bad news is I didn't see any deer.  

But, considering that I'm able to finally "get around,"  I'll take that good news over not seeing a deer.  

Thanks for the advise.  The brace is in my pack and it does protect my ankle really well.
Bob

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Good on you.  I wear my brace quite a bit this time of year.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Kenetrek
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:00 AM »
The lace up brace sounds like an excellent idea!

Combined with the right boot and I think you would have double protection and the extra suppert you need.

I would not overlook a quality after market insole as well or even a custom made one specifically for you to add in reducing stress and impact.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
Kenetrex or meindls great boots worth every penny
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
I've got ankles that were sprained in sports so many times in my younger days that they'll roll on a twig.  I used to "push back" and make it worse, but over the years I've trained myself to just go with it and hit the ground, lol.  I like my Danner Frontiers.  This model may no longer be available, but when I got them they were made in USA and definitely a cold weather boot with 1000 gram Thinsulate.  I just had them resoled for the first time, which is a nice feature.  I seem to get the best ankle support with the lacing pattern that has an eye or "speed" hook that's offset back when you get about the level of the top of your foot.  My Danners as well as my favorite hiking boot (Asolo) have that feature.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
You may want to try a minimalist approach.  I trip & twist more often in big, clunky shoes of any design or amount of support.  Minimalist designs can help you feel the ground better to avoid tripping or rolling in the first place.  Plus there's less leverage on the foot so if you roll, your foot doesn't roll as far or with as much force.

If you need any evidence for the effect of a raised heel causing problems, just watch a woman try to run (or even walk) in high heels.  Fat heels are dangerous.  A 2" boot heel is better than a 5" woman's heel.  But 0" is best of all.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Well... I don't know about that, Sam!!??

I watch women running for the train, in high spiked heels every morning!!! Most of these women, could probly run a marathon in them. Ok, I'm old & fat, but I can still run!!! I know I couldn't catch them if I had to! LMAO
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Rocky Grizzlies last year before my elk hunt and have been really pleased with them. They are lightly insulated (200 gram) but plenty for active hunting in my part of the country. Ankle support is good, they lace to the toe in the style of the Danner Elk Hunters.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 12:53:00 AM »
I have very poor arches.  Meindle Perfekt
Hikers gave been very good to me.
Four trips for elk in Colorado, two if which were backpack trips. I am get satisfied.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
After spending 26 years in the Infantry I finally found some good boots in Fairbanks Alaska.

I spent the money and got some Kenetreks....and cannot express how much I love them.

If only I'd had these all those years ago....

My feet might not hurt like they do now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©