3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support  (Read 741 times)

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I bought a pair of lightweight Irish Setters this year for warm to minimally cold weather and they are really good, comfort and support. They have been surprisingly warm too with the last few days being in the twenties.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Kennetrek......I own two pair. Just got first pair back from resoling, like new again. I wear them daily for work. After rolling my foot and breaking my talus in 2015 while wearing a pair of Danners.....Kennetreks for me. Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
boots are always gonna be subjectively personal, like bows and arrows.  i've had a gaggle of different brand/style "hunting" boots in the last 60 years or so, and a few years back on a recommendation from a west coast park ranger i got a pair of hitec altitude ultra waterproof boots.  i've hiked the very rugged nor'east appalachian trail with 'em for countless miles and if ever they wear out i'll get another pair for sure.  for me, they're better than good.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I wore Danner Pronghorns for several years and now I wear a Danner work boot called the Vicious. It’s everything the Pronghorn has but with a much stiffer ankle support. Very comfortable and performs very well in steep terrain.

They don’t stretch as much as the pronghorn either.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
The best boots I've ever worn are the venerable Redback Everests. Made in Australia but I believe there is a dealer in the States.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
I’ve fought boots all my life! Not because of poor ankles, but because of poor fit. After years of fighting crappy boots, I finally broke down and spent the money on a pair of Russell’s. When I first put my foot in the Russell’s I could not believe how well they felt. I’ve never had a hot spot, no blisters or any of the problems I had with the other boots. I’ve had em for probably 5 years now without any issues. Sounds like a paid endorsement, but I just really like the boots!

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
If you want to talk about bad ankles then listen up.
4 years ago I destroyed my ankle. I went to the only Doctor within 500 miles of me that'd be willing to let me keep my foot. Everyone else wanted to amputate it. I still have it though and I learned many things.
First off, any boot that goes over your ankle and tightens is better than the best low profile shoe.
Wear a brace under your boot. The cheap lace up braces are generally good enough however you might want to look into custom braces, they are not that much more expensive. I wear my brace anytime I'm going to be on uneven surfaces. After a few minutes of walking I can't even tell that I'm wearing it. It also has the side benefit of protecting my heel from blisters. Without the brace I can walk about 1-2 miles on a decent path before I start feeling any pain. With the brace I can go for 4-5 miles. I usually wear my water boots when out in the woods. Can't tell much of a difference when wearing the brace.
Trust me a good brace will make a huge difference for you. An expensive brace is also much cheaper than a broken ankle. Or in my case an amputated foot.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
I've been very happy with my Meindl "Ultimate Hunter" boots from Cabela's. Believe they are made by German company. Comfortable from day one with good ankle support. Different sole than the Meindl "Danali" boots mentioned above. My boots were in the $270 range two years ago. It has proved to be money well spent.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
I could never wear cheap boots, flat feet with pronated ankles won't allow it. The only boots I have found that give great support are Lowa's and Kennetrek's. I just purchased a pair of mountain extreme's by kennetrek and find them to be the cat's meow for walking over boulder fields and uneven rocky terrain. You may experience sticker shock at the price but, nothing good is cheap anymore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©