3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about ILF bows  (Read 441 times)

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Questions about ILF bows
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
I’ve been thinking about trying out a ilf rig after this hunting season is over but I am not that familiar with how the whole thing works. I have been shooting with a fixed crawl the last couple of years and really like it for hunting. I tend to stick with the same bow once I find one I like. The last 6 or 7 years I’ve been hunting with my Rick Welch Dakota recurve and have been fairly successful but would like something that i can tune a little better for this stile of shooting .
    I see you can get different lengths in risers and limbs and I think that I read that you can adjust for tiller and maybe draw weight ? I think that I would like to stay with a wooden riser and probably a 62” bow length.  

Thanks in advance for any help, Rick

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about ILF bows
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Rick, you might check out Dryad, they have a sale coming up. I have an Orion 15" riser and extra long acs longbow limbs(draw 29.25") as well as a set of ILF acs long longbow limbs on a metal riser. Sweet shooting rigs and I also run a fixed crawl. I can get these quieter then my recurves with a fixed crawl.

A metal riser allows for a plunger, easy to adjust center shot and adds mass. I shoot the metal riser with a springy rest and the Orion off the shelf.

Speak with Mike at Dryad as limb length is very important to match to your draw length. Yes you can adjust both tiller and poundage. Adjusting poundage also effects preload(how much bend in limbs at brace) which effects performance.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Rick sent a pm-

Bill

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
From what you've described you should definitely check out the Dryad systems, especially if your prepared to buy during their upcoming sale.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Here's the way I decide. I'm a medium length limb guy so I choose the riser length that will give me the length of bow I want using medium limbs. In my case I wanted a 60" bow and a 62" bow so I chose a 17" and a 19" riser. Done.

As far as adjusting tiller, no sweat. As far as draw weight, most think of it as adjusting preload to fit your actual draw length and find the sweet spot for the limbs and the weight will change slightly but not a huge difference.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I’ll check out the dryad system to see what they have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©