3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting cabins/camps  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting cabins/camps
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Woodchucker's Catskill mountain Retreat!

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
Thanks, Brother!!!!! Some day... I owe you a trip up there!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »
Bringing this back up in the hope that maybe some guys will re-post some pics since photobucket screwed everything up.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 06:04:00 AM »
The cabin thread and the trophy room thread were always a couple of my favorites
Tim B

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
To keep this thread going here is mine in NE VT. The dream became reality 16yrs ago with purchase of 10 acres and after 6yrs of weekends became an almost finished camp - the past 10yrs has been more enjoying than working on it.

The cabin is 16x32 and with the wife's influence became more of a little house in the woods rather than a primitive hunting camp as initially planned. It is well insulated and heated solely by wood and a gutted gas grill allows outside cooking over hardwood in addition to a propane camper cooktop inside.

There is electric service and inside plumbing with a shower but the shallow well only supplies water April thru Oct and we haul it in throughout the winter so there is still a primitiveness to the experience - especially during hunting season.  

We have found more than 25 apple trees on the property....

....and a bit of bear activity.

Here is a view of the property from across the neighbor's fields. The cabin is located at the end of the rainbow.

May you someday find your dream at the end of a rainbow.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Chuck never knew you had a camp , it just screams deer camp ! Very nice
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks, Bob!!!!! Actually, the cabin is a joint venture, between my brother in-law, his 2 brothers, and I. The 3 brothers bought the mountain from their grandfather, back in the 80's. We all hunted there as kids, and I killed my 1st buck there in 1978. Tyler killed his 1st buck there in 2015, about 100yds from where I killed mine. It is truely a special place!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Makes me want my 40 acres back,  we just had too many poachers living on the outskirts of our 40 ac.  It wasn't too safe, too many gun hunters trespassing, not enough game wardens.

What was nice about the 40 was it was all old growth, it had never been clear cut.  

Maybe someday again.

DS
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Any more cabins and camps out there? Being relatively new here I don't recognize a lot of the posters in the thread from 5-6 yrs ago but there must be others to keep this going.

Anyway, a good read on cabin building and life I can recommend is:

Cabin - Two Brothers, a Dream, and Five Acres in Maine by Lou Ureneck

I got it at B&N a while ago and it's available online used for about four bucks.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a 3 bedroom cabin in the north ga mtns. It's basically centralized in my typical bear hunting areas. Its on 2.5 acres that butts up to the national forest. Not many deer but great bear and pig hunting with some turkeys thrown in. Great trout fishing too for both stockers and wild. Its all log exterior with a big wraparound porch set up high and beautiful interior. It's a bit nice for a hunting camp but I needed a place the wife and daughter would go too.

My family camp in PA is about 100 years old. Its a more typical camp with no power or water and gas lights

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
I put a one room cabin on my property down by Steelville, MO three years ago. It is 12x24 with 4 feet of that front porch. Off the grid. I have a small solar package for lights and such and a radiant propane heater for heat. 250 gallon propane tank and I use about 100 gallons a year.if you can drive to it the propane man can get to it. The place is 6/10 of a mile down a logging road off the gravel.

I thought hard about a wood stove but am glad I went with the propane heat. Pack  in coolers and water and use a solar shower when warm enough. Outhouse, fire ring and pavilion for wood storage.

My advice is to do as soon as you can. The wife loves it and several friends enjoy it also.

Had pics on photo bucket but haven't got into the new one . Would send pics to someone if they want to post them for me.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
I've been playing with this Imgur. Let's see....

Outhouse

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
And a few inside shots...

The solar package is really neat. Plug to an outlet on the outside and it goes right to the breaker box which powers al the outlets inside

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
Shrew Haven deer camp in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Bringing a deer into camp up Armstrong creek

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
The Shrew Crew

Some of the guys by the main cabin which was built in 1936

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
John, that is a great cabin and setup. That gets you out in a quiet secluded area. Wonderful!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
Inside the cabin on company night

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Ron, I always love the posts about shrewhaven. It really seems like a great place full of wonderful memories. If you wouldn't mind, could you give a little bit of history about it? I don't think I've ever seen anything about how long it's been around, how it originated, etc.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©