3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String material and hand shock  (Read 803 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
String material and hand shock
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
So I got a new bcy x string for my two tracks echo . Now as far as D bows go the echo its one of the best I have shot ultra quiet and not much shock at all due to the perfect tiller.  

Now I know Dacron kicks alot more than a ff material but I was not expecting this. I put on the X string and holy crap its like a magnum going off in my hand it literally kicks so hard it affects my shot placement.   I immediately put back the stock string its either d97 or 450+ just to make sure it wasn't in my head as ive been shooting my low pound recurve  to retrain my shoulder. What a difference the stock string feels so much smoother and pleasant to draw there is a thump upon release but nothing painful in anyway like the X string.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String material and hand shock
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:00 AM »
Same brace height on both strings?

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »
Makes sense. There is no stretch in the bcyx  when the limbs hit home.
Maybe try some of the 452. It has have a little give.
Tedd

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »
Have read some bows don't get along as well with certain string materials. Have not seen it myself. As Hermon suggested double check brace height.

Another thought, when I switched from D97 to the newer string materials I had to re-tune as the arrow got dynamically weaker. Maybe your out of tune with the bcy-x.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »
Your experience is the opposite of mine.  I run a Fury (basically equivalent to X) string on my Howard Hill Black Mamba and it is so much crisper than the stock Dacron.  Every time I have replaced the string on a Hill bow with this material it has been beneficial.  Most Dacron strings that enter my personal space go straight in the trash.  You probably just need to retune and find the sweet spot.  That business about the limbs hitting home causing more shock, no way, in theory it should be the opposite, Dacron etc will make the Hill limbs continue oscillating making the bump more pronounced.  What does happen with the modern materials is more energy is transmitted to the arrow, SO if your arrow is too light, yes you'll feel it.  Hill style bows really don't like less than 10gpp.  I would personally make that the minimum.  Check your arrow weight.  If it's light that could explain a lot.  Anyway, D97 and 452x are excellent materials anyway, so you're not really "missing out if you don't run the X.  I just think it's a tuning issue personally.  That and make sure you're gripping and heeling the bow firmly.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
Same brace height on both 7" Set it up before I shot  but I also played around with it on the new string up to an inch either way. Also shot a 15gpp( i generally shoot 10-11) arrow with the new string and still shocky.

Perhaps Ted is correct maybe on some bows there is a fine line between too much give and not enough when they "hit home".

I think the stock string is 450+ chuck only puts that or d97. On em I was thinking getting SBD  d10?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
Is this your first Hill style bow?  If so, understand they will never be dead in the hand like a recurve or bow with significant reflex deflex.  The design and physics won't allow it.  A Hill bow is supposed to have a decent "pulse" to it, but a well built one like Chuck's ought not rattle your teeth. I can't stress enough how important it is to grip the bow firmly, like you would a bird or a gerbil so it won't get away but without killing it LOL.  With 15gpp any Hill bow ought to be a pussycat.  When gripping a Hill bow you need to make sure you're putting even pressure along the grip with the heel of your hand, otherwise the limb timing will be off and THAT can also contribute significantly to the so called thump.  They really are brilliant sticks, they will telegraph immediately if something is off about the shot which makes it easy to learn consistency with them.  
I dunno.  If changing how you hold and shoot the bow isn't doing it then maybe that Echo just hates BCY X, but I find that hard to believe. Could it be a spine issue and the arrow slamming into the riser?  This can make the shot loud and you'd definitely feel it too.  You could try a skinny D10, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it removing more thump.  Also, one more thing, too many twists in a Flemish will increase thump in my experience...I try not to have more than one twist per inch max at my desired brace height.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
No im use to D bows, I preffer them. AGAIN nothing wrong with it with the stock string only with the X material

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
I have been making my own strings after the first year of shooting trad bows over 20 plus years ago.I like and have many different string materials and feel some bows like different materials.I have D97,8125,8190,450+,452,BCY-X and even some Ultra Cam.If one string I feel doesn't work with a bow I'll try a different one.I like experimenting,but have come to like BCY-X as my favorite,have it on most all of my 25+ plus bows.Works great on my HH Half Breed,but may not work for your bow?

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
A bow that shoots nice with a B50 string does a lot of other things nice as well.   I have one of those.  I have had some that i picked up that kicked so bad with B50 that it even bothered me.  I either retillered them or put on a modern string before I gave them away.  I have several with Chad built bcyx strings my experience is the opposite of yours.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
It's not the material.  452X will have, if anything LESS give due to having twice the Vectran in it...but that wouldn't make it have shock.  Fury is not equivalent to BCY-X.  BCY-X has 17% Vectran, Fury has none.  Fury is Brownell's copy of BCY's 8190.  Could be how the string is made.  No way to tell without checking it out, but it's not the material.  Hand shock comes from wasted energy resonating from the string down the limbs to the riser...and exaggerated example is the "twang" you get from plucking a rubber band.  Dacron is the only material that has any degree of elasticity.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »
Bump it up to 7 1/2 and see how it does
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
LBR, what is Mercury like?
Tedd

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Is the nock fit the same or similar between the new string and the old one?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Mercury is 100% SK99 Dyneema.  Very similar to 8190F, but a slightly smaller strand and a slightly higher grade of Dyneema.  From SK90 to SK99 isn't a big jump at all.  It's getting really good reviews, but I don't plan to stock it in a bunch of colors until I get my supply of 8190 used up.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm going to stick with D-10 until they develop something absolutely unbeatable and it stays that way for a few years.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
...Still built with BCY D-10 quality material and B-50 Dacron padded loops...The best material for TRADITIONAL BOWs... Don't let others tell you any different see for yourself...    

Thanks and God Bless, Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
452X has been the benchmark in the wheel world for the past 15 years.  With traditional bows it's often like picking a bow...more about personal preference and the build.  A good string can be built with most any material, or a lousy one can be built with most any material.  The big advantage the blended materials have is stability in varying temps, especially when it gets hot.  They seem quieter to me, but that's just an observation.  I haven't used equipment to test it.  I encourage people to try different things to see what works for them.  One of the reasons I've been involved in two different string making videos is to help people be able to do their own experimenting.  With the other side of the market being so competitive I don't expect material development to ever remain stagnant.  The good thing is the same characteristics that benefit those bows also benefit ours.

What is "best"?  Depends...I can only tell a person what I like best, or what I know about the equipment the best in the world are using.

I'm very fortunate to be able to work with BCY at a lot of the larger tournaments in the U.S., and meet many of the top traditional archers and hunters in our sport.  Of course I'm also constantly checking to see what the best in the sport use for strings!  Many of the top target archers are using 8125 (with some exceptions...I think Jason Westbrock has switched to BCY-X from 8190).  Big-time hunters like Denny Sturgis Jr. like the consistency and durability of BCY-X, as does World Champion archer and coach Rod Jenkins.

What is best for you and your bow?  That's for you to decide.     :archer2:

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Bowstring material is like hunting boots,if there was one that was perfect for everybody only one company would be in business.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
That is true, but of the three major companies in the business one of them carries around 85-90% of the market.  Even they offer a wide variety to suit any taste.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©