3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: binocular storage  (Read 1330 times)

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
binocular storage
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
Alright guys , if that has been discussed to death I apologize, but what's the best way you have found to carry your binos in the field? I cant seem to figure out a way where they are not either flopping around my neck, or just being held in my hand. I carry a small backpack with me and going back and forth to that to look at different things just makes to much noise. I am pretty much blind so I use them all the time. Thanks    :help:
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: binocular storage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:00 AM »
I let mine hang on the neck strap and stick them inside my jacket or shirt.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:03:00 AM »
X2. What Terry said.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Being that I work for an optics company, I have had the opportunity to try it all..

When using my 8x32's (Leica Ultravid HD+) I typically just use a 4 way harness mounted high on my chest. Butler creek or any like it work fine with lighter bino's.

This season I have primarily been using one of our new model 10x42's (Leica Noctivid) in a Sitka Bivy chest harness, which has been working fantastic. It is fully inclosed with zippered and magnetic clasps, yet still very compact. It also has small elastic pockets on the sides that work perfectly for a windicator bottle for easy access. The back harness is vented so it doesn't cause too much back sweet in the early season.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Bino-Pac
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Get you the bino straps from Rick Young outdoors. Lightweight and keeps your binoculars close to your chest. Can also carry close to your armpit if you want and still bring them up to your eyes no problem. Can shoot your bow without them flopping in front of your string and adjust the straps so easily its amazing. Been using mine for two years now and see no need for anything else.

Go to the website and check out the videos.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
I use the stock strap but made a 14" length of 1/8" shock-cord with a clip on each end.  I run the shock cord behind my back and clip each end to the binocular strap loops.

Mine are just little 8 x 25 porro prism compact binoculars.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
The S4 Gear Lockdown system keeps the binoculars close to your chest when not in use but allows them to be free (attached by small shock cording) while you glass.  The shock cord works as a safety cord but you don't pull against anything elastic while glassing.  You can drop them and they stay on your chest, but it is easy to strap them back in the carrier which protects the eye pieces from dust and cracker crumbs    ;)   .  Because you're not pulling against and stretching the elastic strap that holds them to your body each time you glass, they stay snugly against your chest when your hiking.

Mike

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
I use the S4 Gear system as well. Well designed.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Jason and I both use the S4 Gear system with good results with our 10 x 42 Leica.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Rick Young harness without a doubt. Best I've ever used. So versitle
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I've tried them all.  The ONLY product that I will use anymore is a Rick Young bino harness.

The pros for this harness are:  
  • Light weight (lightest or among the lightest on the market...I know of none lighter weight)
  • Compact - not quite as compact as some neck straps only, but VERY close and more compact than ANY chest harness/rig.  It can be worn very comfortably with a harness on or a backpack.  It doesn't interfere with drawing a bow or shouldering a firearm.
  • Versatile: can be carried as a necklace, shoulder harness, shoulder harness skewed to one side, or bondolier style...nothing else does all of this on the market and it solves the issue for me of sometimes wanting a neck strap and sometimes a shoulder rig
  • NO flopping: When in shoulder rig mode you can pull the cord around the bells of the binos to keep it tethered at the top AND bottom meaning the binos don't bounce on your chest for heavy hiking or when crawling/stalking
  • VERY ADJUSTABLE: this is the easiest to adjust size/fit which is extremely important as seasons and even temperatures of the day fluctuate and your wearing different clothing.  It can be done in the field with minimal movement without taking it off and be done silently.  Nothing else on the market does this.
  • Durability: while I can't claim it to be better than a lot of products, it's also not cheaply made and isn't going to fall apart on you.  Some of what is out there is absolute junk; this is not.  It's well made and made in the USA.

Cons:  
  • It doesn't fully enclose the binoculars to protect them from field conditions.  If this matters to you it could be a con.  To me as a hunter, I don't care and value the lack of bulk and ease of access more but to some this could be considered a con.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:05:00 AM »
A lot of professional hunters in Africa use a long strap that  carries the binoculars under their arm.  I took a tip from an old outdoor writer named Byron Dalrymple where you shorten up the strap to where it will just go over your head.  This keeps the glasses up high and close, ready to be brought into position.  Works for stalking, crawling in just about any situation.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
Piece of string - what I use is about diameter of paracord, but a little bit "harder" - carried with string over left shoulder, bino's under right arm (I'm right handed).  Play with the length and see what you like - I like mine just short enough they don't interfere with my jacket pocket on that side, but still enough play they don't bind.  You can pull them up more under your arm to protect from mist/rain and they are always there.

You won't be the "cool kid" with the newest super techno bino harness, but you WILL be able to easily access/use your bino's, they wont interfere with your bowstring, and they'll be where you need them when you need them.  Also they are very well protected there under your arm/along the side.

While on stand a lot of times I'll pull them around more to the front -say resting to the right of my belly button- and if a shot looks to be developing its a simple (now automatic) matter to slide them around to my side, or even around more to the back, like resting above the right kidney.

I use mine ALL the time - there are only 2 things I'd go back home to get if I forgot on the way to my tree - my bow and my field glasses.  I've tried many ways to carry them over the last 30+ years, and this is the best way I've found.

R

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I use the stock strap but made a 14" length of 1/8" shock-cord with a clip on each end.  I run the shock cord behind my back and clip each end to the binocular strap loops.

Mine are just little 8 x 25 porro prism compact binoculars.
x2
I used a full basic harness for years.  Works great for stalking, western hunting, etc.  But for whitetail stand hunting- every time you want to change clothes, add layers etc I had to remove the harness.  

I went to the above mentioned system.  You can remove the elastic bungee while the binocs stay on your neck.  Like the harness I actually like the binocs tight against my chest as it also serves to hold the coat away from my bow draw, string etc.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
Piece of string - what I use is about diameter of paracord, but a little bit "harder" - carried with string over left shoulder, bino's under right arm (I'm right handed).  Play with the length and see what you like - I like mine just short enough they don't interfere with my jacket pocket on that side, but still enough play they don't bind.  You can pull them up more under your arm to protect from mist/rain and they are always there.

You won't be the "cool kid" with the newest super techno bino harness, but you WILL be able to easily access/use your bino's, they wont interfere with your bowstring, and they'll be where you need them when you need them.  Also they are very well protected there under your arm/along the side.

While on stand a lot of times I'll pull them around more to the front -say resting to the right of my belly button- and if a shot looks to be developing its a simple (now automatic) matter to slide them around to my side, or even around more to the back, like resting above the right kidney.

I use mine ALL the time - there are only 2 things I'd go back home to get if I forgot on the way to my tree - my bow and my field glasses.  I've tried many ways to carry them over the last 30+ years, and this is the best way I've found.

R
I do exactly as Ryan and have been doing it that way for close to forty years... works great !! I've tried other bino harnesses and I always go back to the paracord and snuggle the binos under my right arm.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
I've tried them all.  The ONLY product that I will use anymore is a Rick Young bino harness.

Cons:  
  • It doesn't fully enclose the binoculars to protect them from field conditions.  If this matters to you it could be a con.  To me as a hunter, I don't care and value the lack of bulk and ease of access more but to some this could be considered a con.
[/b]
If you haven't checked out the Rick Young website in a while he now has a lightweight nylon cover in three sizes so there are no cons. The cover is like a shower cap for binos and conveniently stores in its own little pouch that clips to the harness. The cover is also attached to the pouch so it can't be lost or misplaced.  

I used this harness this archery season and the past week for the firearms season and loved it. It's like a magical force holding the binos in place and the cover offers easy on/off protection from the elements.

Ordered harnesses and covers for my son and grandson.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
I bought a FHF Gear bino harness last year.  Been a great piece of gear.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:

R
Same for me. I've had a bino harness and used it in Africa. It was OK, but inconvenient to put on and take off when changing jackets. I like things as simple as I can get them.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
I've tried all the harnesses but I finally came back to the parachute cord method. I'm right handed but I carry the binos under my left arm. When I need them I just swing them up and when I'm done they go back under there. If I need to I can swing them around on my back, if I want to crawl or climb.

I made the loop extra long and tied it off into a knot to take up the extra. Now when I hunt and wear a jacket I just undo the knot so I can take advantage of the extra....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©