3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Custom bows-An honest question...  (Read 2089 times)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Custom bows-An honest question...
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
OK, here goes; I'm not Robin Hood. Nor am I his brother. I do OK at 20 yards and under instinctively, in fact I bust more than a few nocks at these distances shooting my vintage Bears.
Lately I've been eyeing some custom bows, some from the bigger names and some from the smaller 'indie' guys. I don't compete, shoot FITA or any sponsored 3D matches. So here's my question;
Do I REALLY need a custom bow (at custom bow prices) when all I do is stumping, hunting, 3D and backyard shooting?
Is the quality of a custom really going to add (other than bragging rights) anything practical to my bowhunting and shooting experience that a vintage quality bow is lacking? (again, more than aesthetic properties or bragging rights) I'd like to hear from both sides of the coin on this one...both the guys that adore their customs, as well as those who think they might have wasted good money on nothing but bling.
Aim small,miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom bows-An honest question...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
As the owner of more custom bows than I care to count, of course you don't “need” a custom bow.  Your situation with bows is kind of like my situation with shotguns.  For the amount of duck hunting I do, a Remington would work fine.  I don't need a Benelli, but I enjoy shooting it.  I've never regretted buying the Benelli, because I didn't take anything away from my family by doing it.

If you're in the same situation, I’m sure you'll enjoy shooting a custom bow.  Don't put too much of your hopes and dreams into it, though.  There is a certain chance that you'll get one that you don't really like.  In that case, you have to be wiling to sell it and try something else.  That's probably a little easier to do with a Remington than a Benelli.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
"Do I REALLY need a custom bow"

Yes!  Yes you do LOL!  The truth is that most bows out there will always out-shoot the guy or gal drawing back.  My go to hunting bow is an ILF Hoyt riser with Morrison Max 4 limbs and Breathin strings.  I absolutely love it.  But it never feels or looks like my black widow bows or my Toelke long bow did.  Does it (me) outperform the other bows?  Yes.

IMHO there is an experience to be had from a semi-custom/custom bow.  And, for some I'm sure they pick up performance and confidence as well. Sometimes it seems those bows grow a soul or a bond with the owner that's hard to put into words.

I just recently picked up a Schafer Silvertip from a gentleman on this site.  I didn't need it, but I certainly wanted it.  Why?  It's a Silvertip and I've always wanted one.  It will be hunting with me in December, and God willing maybe "we" will get lucky.

My advise is at least once, buy a custom bow.  See if you experience a little more enjoyment from carrying it afield or admiring it as it hangs on your bow rack.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
my opinion...

No one "NEEDS A CUSTOM", just like no one needs heated seats in their vehicles, but they sure are nice!

I have seen people compete with bear bows and win.  Heck, I even know a guy who won the Howard Hill with a bow he built that is flat out "junk".  The limbs aren't perfectly square  to the riser, aren't tillered perfectly, etc, but man, do I shoot the bow well!  

It's really all about what you want!  Don't worry about "needing" something unless you're very frugal, which is fine!  But, sometimes it's nice to have a custom.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
I've always been to cheap to shell out the money for a custom bow. Took many a nice animal with a economical WELL MADE bow. With that being said as soon as my daughter graduates from college next year IM GETTING A BLACK WIDOW. Saw one in a magazine when I was a teenager and man it was a beauty. Think it was a lil over 300 bucks, hell I paid 400 for my first truck. Never did get around to forking out that kinda money, then met a girl got married you know how it goes. But next year I'm buying one, don't think I can get one for $300 anymore. So never having owned one id say no ya don't need one but I own all kinda stuff I don't need.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Do you need one, no. But if it is within your means there is just something about picking the woods and having one made to your specifications. I have 5 customs and that is all I shoot, but I have the means and have not taken anything away from my family.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Do you "need" a custom tailored suit or will one off the rack do the job?  Or keep you as warm?  Certainly there is pride of ownership in a well made bow.  And you hope a custom bow is well made.  But how custom is it?  Did the bowyer measure your hand?

My four absolute favorite deer hunting and stump-shooting bows were all purchased used from the classifieds for between $100 and $135 each.

All are production bows from the 1960's.  And I shoot either cedar or Douglas fir shafts from them.  

I'm no Robin Hood, either.  But on a good day I can touch my fingertips around three arrows from 20 yards in the target.  And again this year a Red Wing Hunter put the venison in the freezer for me.

A custom bow is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.  But I get a kick out of keeping the old girls in play.

The broadhead(s) I used this year, in fact, were manufactured in 1960.  I bought a bunch of Mowoc Dots from Larry Whiffen, Jr. a couple years ago.

Guess what - they work, too.

Deer haven't changed much in the last 60 years or so.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Next question would be - what exactly is a custom bow?

If whoever doesn't start designing it until they get your order.  That's custom.

If it already has a model number and there are hundreds already in use . . . wouldn't that be production with options?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
If you're satisfied with "off the rack", or "production line" bows, no, shoot what you have. But, if you want a choice of woods, weight at your draw length, grip and some of the other add-ons available, well, then you do. I doubt a custom will make you a better shot. But, there are some very talented bowyers out there. Check some out. Make sure they offer what you're looking for.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by stagetek:
If you're satisfied with "off the rack", or "production line" bows, no, shoot what you have.  
That's a difficult question to answer fairly, because that's all I own and all I've ever shot or hunted with.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
How about used?  I have a used "custom" Black Widow, but I didn't get to pick out the wood, grip, size and weight.  I also didn't have to wait and got a really cool bow at about half the price of new.  

If you don't like the used one, you can usually sell it for what you paid for it.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Despite the mantra we often read and write on these very pages, none of us "needs" to even hunt. Let alone bowhunt. Let alone bowhunt with a stick and string. So no, you do not "need" a custom bow.

That being said, I recently took possession of my my very first, custom built for me, bow in 40 years of bowhunting and shooting. I found a bowyer who was making bows that I shot well and I worked with him to get the specs and looks I wanted. I shoot it marginally better than I did my previous bows because it was designed to perform well at my draw and I care a little more because I had a hand in its creation.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
It was a personal decision for me to have Big Jim build me a bow after shooting one of his Thunderchilds at Cloverdale. I sent him wood from my property her in Indiana. Mulberry, black oak and plum, along with some mahogany and teak that had been in my family for years. There are plenty of prettier bows out there, but none that could mean as much to me. Our sport is quite a personal, individual calling, and I get to take a bit of family and Home with me into the field or onto the range each time I go.    :archer2:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I own a dozen or so custom bows ..... cause I made them all I can afford it. Turns out wood  pretty cheap. Mostly wood bows.

I own an old recurve I bought for maybe $100 and it shoots as good as any I've made if not better.

You don't need anything but a sapling and a string. Don't buy the hype. Getting close is cheap, and spends big won't make you a better shot.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
If you have any buddies with custom bows try them out ... like all toys some are better than others and it sounds like you shoot a fair amount. I have had lots of bows over the years and i would prefer a custom over a production bow, but it can be a very long journey to find "that" custom bow.

The classifieds here are a great way to indulge yourself on the journey to find the right bow. Buy at a good price and sell it if it does not meet your needs and get another.  

Good luck to ya
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
I agree with Elkken. I would also add that if you have the opportunity to attend one of the bigger shoots they have many customs available for you to try out. I have had a pile of customs and they aren't all what they are cracked up to be. Find out what you like in a bow prior to blowing a pile of money and finding out it's not what you expected. Each of my customs have their own little quirks that makes them a little different. The answer to your question is Yes it is worth it to me to have a bow that performs exactly as you desire.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
I don't have enough bows, so I keep buying them!  I own lots of bows that were "custom" for somebody but I have only about 4 or 5 that I bought new and ordered for me-"custom".  I have many nice bows that came from well known bowyers that someone else bought new and I picked up second or third hand.  

Right now, I'm into Hill bows and I have three, none of which were made for me.  I also own two old Bears and a Groves Spitfire that I love to shoot and will kill an elk or deer as dead as anything I own.  I have bought several used bows off of TG and other trad classifieds, RMSG in Denver, and just from individuals who wanted to sell them.

It is fun to shoot different bows, but if you're looking to gain an advantage by spending more money and getting a "custom" bow, I don't think you can justify spending the extra bucks.  If there's a bow from a bowyer you really like then call him up and order one.  I just buy them.  I don't sell them.  You can never have too many bows!

Mike

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Not all custom bows are more expensive than off the shelf.  My last bow was completely designed for how I shoot and my stature.   It is a remarkable bow  both left and right handed, it requires nothing special from me to make it work.   I have four of them at different weights.  One is my creation, I tinkered  with it until I got it just right, the other three were made by others, but they hit the nail on the head.  I can add this I compared a new Bear Montana this year to a used Robertson and a Toelke.  Another archer wanted my feed back.  That Montana was not even close to the other two.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
Yes and No.  Finding a bow that really fits you is the most important thing. I have finally after many bows and much $$$
Found 3 that I plan to keep. One is a custom, but not made for me. I don't think most folks ( me included ) know exactly what makes one bow shoot better for their style than another.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Buy a custom when you can it will last a long time and you will enjoy it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©