3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Custom bows-An honest question...  (Read 2088 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom bows-An honest question...
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Get one with very perdy wood so when the day comes when you can't shoot, you have something nice to look at.    :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
Short answer....No you don't. I have owned a  bunch of "customs" and they were fine bows, but my Bears suit me just as well as any custom recurve I ever owned and that includes some of the better know and a new Bear in full warranty is no more than a used custom that will not be "custom" for you any way. For my longbows I still prefer the custom makers simply because the choices in factory longbows is just not as there. When I say "longbow" I am referring to  the ASL style of bow.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Buy a used “Custom”...  Pay the price of most Non-Custom bows out there new...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
I am going to be different, YES you do need one, you have the itch, you have the money, you can wait for it, do it!  You will never truly be satisfied with any bow you buy used or off the rack as long as you got that itch. I know, been there, done that. I finally went and got it done, a Vintage Works 62 reproduction Bear Kodiak. My choice of woods, glass, finish, heck I even sent him wood. It’s mine, it’s mine and I like the way it shoots and handles. Is it the last bow I buy or shoot? Never, I like shooting and I like variety with my bows and arrows. It’s my hobby, my sport, a big part of my life.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
It adds to the fun. Yes you should have a few custom bows!
Tedd

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
I don't believe the decision making process revolves around the issue of custom bow or production bow.  Equally, I don't believe the decision making process revolves around price.  My experience is that the bow that fits you best and you shoot best is the best bow for you.

I've bought new custom bows, top shelf.  I've bought previously owned custom bows.  I've bought several production bows.

The bow I shoot poorest is a production bow, even though I've been successful with it and many others brag about it.  I can't say the bow is at fault, except that it doesn't seem to quite fit me right.

And, the bow that I absolutely shoot the best, I bought as a back up bow.  Hands down, I shoot it well.  It's a cheap Korean three piece recurve.  Why?  I believe because the grip fits my hand so well.  

My most expensive custom shoots well.  But it took me a long time to become accustomed to it.  Why?  Not sure!  But, I think that it is different in some ways to other bows.  On the other hand, if I shoot that bow exclusively during a season, and I get accustomed to it, it can drive tacks.  

In the end, I like them all!!  Right now I believe I have eight - not many compared to some folks, but plenty for me.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
If what you have is working, you don't "need" a custom.

I shoot used customs, that were made for other people, LOL. I just look for one that's close enough to what I want.

The reason I shoot customs is to get a little different style of bow than the big number production bows turn out. Things like static tipped recurves and extreme reflex/deflex hybrid longbows. Another reason is to get one that's tillered for three under. Not a neccessitiy, but it does seem to make the bow a little quieter.  

One reason that seems to be why a lot of people buy customs is to get one made from fancy expensive and unique woods. The wood choices and the length are usually the only major "custom" things folks can change anyway. Grip alterations and tillering options are there too.

Personally I think that a lot of customs today are overhyped and are praised mostly for their exotic riser woods and limb veneers.    :goldtooth:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
If you are shooting Vintage recurves then you are shooting many superb bows in my experience.Guys like Bob Lee and Fred Bear and others knew what they were doing.I dont think you need a custom curve personally.

If you were looking for a hybrid and or special longbow thier is not as much available from the Vintage era.So much was geared toward recurves then.You have these shorter hybrids and radical hybrids now all over the map currantly.Many designs and styles of longbows as well from many bowyers.You did not have near as many of these options available in such prolific numbers in the Vintage era.

So I think it might be more fruitful if you were hunting for this type of bow to start looking at customs.Or a second hand custom if your patient in the right length and poundage.Or if you find one you love have it custom made.You gotta love it though.Its a lot of $ for us working stiffs.

I always went to trad bow shows back in the day that had as many venders as possible to try out all Bowyers bows thoroughly.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
I have bought a few "Custom" bow that were made to my specs and choices of woods......were they worth it??? Yep, but on the other hand I have a bunch of bows that I got off the classifieds that were made for someone and I got them at 1/2 price or just over. I have Stalkers, Hills, Northern Mist, Holm-Made, Bear, Zipper, Treadway and a bunch of others........get want you want and then enjoy it. If that means buying used, so be it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Lot of consistency in the responses. I like to choose the wood, draw weight at my draw length, and I like the perfection in top customs.

Do I need them? No.  I could do just fine with my 70's era Bear A-Mag but I sure like my customs.

If you don't mind spending the money and like some pointed out, the build wait, go for it. My family hasn't been neglected (far from it) because of a few bows I've bought over the years.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
I've had probably over 200 bows.  Some custom for me, some customs that I bought used, some factory bows, and some semi-customs that were just bought off the shelf new or used.

My opinion is that custom bows add NOTHING for value in terms of function unless the design features that you request help the bow to fit your body better.  That said, its not like you can't find a bow off the shelf that fits your body perfectly.  In fact, of all the bows that I've had and shot my one keeper is a Sarells Sierra that I found on the longbow rack at a local store and traded a rimfire silhouette rig that I built for.  That bow wasn't made for me and while it looks good it certainly isn't the prettiest that I've had but its the best shooting bow I've ever held and shot and is my go-to hunting bow.  I recently sold all my others because the Sierra is the only one I actually grabbed when I needed a good bow.

What custom bows can offer is differences in aesthetics, potentially utilize some horn/antler/wood from sentimental places, potentially give you some features to customize the fit to your body, etc.  Also sometimes the simple fact of having everything just like you want makes a bow/gun/whatever more enjoyable to own and use.  

I wouldn't ever talk anyone out of a custom bow if that's what they want.  However, for me I feel that I do just fine without a custom built bow for myself.  I tried for years to find a take down that I liked as well as my one piece and couldn't so now I've given up on the idea of a take down travel bow as well.  I'll shoot my off the shelf Sarells Sierra until either I or it dies.  

I've often wondered if I were to order a custom bow because my Sierra dies if I would bother with fancy wood or a simple grey laminate.  I love gorgeous wood as much as the next guy but a simple grey laminate would basically be a camouflage given that I hunt mostly oak and hickories.  It would match the bark of the trees that I hunt around extremely well.  That would likely make a better hunting bow than a fancy myrtle or cocobolo or ebony.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Like most thing in this sport, the answer is "it depends".  

I used to be a dealer for a custom bowyer.  What makes a bow "custom" is even debateable.  This particular bowyer didn't even call his bows "custom".  He said he made "production bows with options", which was a more accurate description.  A truly custom bow would have to be designed specifically for you from the ground up, and I don't know of anyone who offers that or anyone who could afford it if it were offered.

Will a custom bow make you a better archer?  No.

The best money you can spend on archery, IMO, is with an accredited coach or a clinic like the ones Rod Jenkins puts on--well worth the money.

I've lost count of the "custom" bows I've owned.  The most recent was a Mike Treadaway I got this year.  I got it because neither Mike or I are getting any younger, and I wanted one of his bows because I really like Mike and he's one heck of a bowyer.  I plan to get another before too long...from Roy Hall, for the same reason.  Meanwhile, the bows I shoot the most are a hickory selfbow I made (with a lot of adult supervision) and a super cheap Samick Journey that I just enjoy shooting.

Short answer...if you want it and can afford it, go for it.  I suggest checking out the bowyer and getting a warranty in writing, because there are some skunks out there.  However, get it because you really want it, not because you expect it to really improve your shooting.  It won't.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
I have only 1 custom built for me, and 3 others built for someone else.  And with each purchase, my family suffered.

My wife had to keep my supper warm, or delay it altogether, because I would not leave my range in back.  And she was brutally forced to go shopping alone on a Saturday because I headed out to shoot with friends.  My son was deprived of "extra" sleep or video game time because he had to do a little more yard work - same reasons.

Yes, I've made my family suffer - and it was worth every penny, every time!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
All I know is guys who buy custom bows, usually buy more than one   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Think there is a common theme running here.  Need or want?

I suppose I don’t need Leica binos, filson wool, or the grand compliment of high end wood working tools in my shop, but they are all sure nice to have and much like my custom Cari-bow, there is not one ounce of buyers remorse.

I work hard, i have a solid career and i am sure to payu mortgage first and ensure my childrens needs are met before my wants.

I have a few production bows and used customs.  I have killed game with every bow on my rack.  I bought a custom when after a year of looking i couldnt find what i wanted.  I have a 26 inch draw and 50@28 bows are too light. i wanted a two piece that didnt look like a two piece and i didnt want a radical thunderchild or shrew like deaign.  I did add a few embellishments to my order which weren’t “needed”, but I figured what the heck...

And yes, i want another.  A two piece Caribow wolverine with a burl veneer this time.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments so far...both pro and con...very insightful, and the voice of experience speaking!

I would like to clarify one thing; my shooting is for entertainment and my hunting generally limited to one week out of the year at present. I'm not dissatisfied with my shooting per se, and not looking for some new bow to be my 'magic bullet' to better shooting and more kills. I know the answer to that would be more practice and form work rather than a new bow.
I'm also not dissatisfied with any of my current bows, which include a vintage Grizzly, Kodiak Magnum, Kodiak Hunter, Tamerlane and a new Samick Sage take-down. Nor am I possessed by a burning desire for a "must-have" custom bow. It's just that lately, good friends are telling me that "I don't know what I'm missing", and it's making me ask myself..."AM I missing something, and if so, WHAT?"
I wouldn't be taking anything away from my family with the purchase of a custom paid for over the course of 6 months to a year, but truth be told, I don't even know what I would look for or what features would benefit me...plus the fact that for the price of an average custom I could buy 2 or 3 more used vintage bows has me scratching my head...
Anyway, I appreciate the input so far, and looking forward to more.
Aim small,miss small

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Kirk, you should really consider going to the Trad show in Kalamazoo Michigan this next year. It's only a few hour drive for you and you could get your hands on more bows than you could imagine.
I would even offer to meet you there and show you around.
You could also get to meet some interesting people like, G Fred Asbell, Ron LaClair and possibly Jose Miller from Flatline Bows.
It would be well worth your time, no doubt you would be overwhelmed and remember the experience for the rest of your life.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
Like most thing in this sport, the answer is "it depends".  

I used to be a dealer for a custom bowyer.  What makes a bow "custom" is even debateable.  This particular bowyer didn't even call his bows "custom".  He said he made "production bows with options", which was a more accurate description.  A truly custom bow would have to be designed specifically for you from the ground up, and I don't know of anyone who offers that or anyone who could afford it if it were offered.

That was exactly my point.  A bow with riser hand cut on a band-saw while the layup was held in a man's hand.  String notches hand filed.  Tillered by hand.  Finished by hand.

That was the drill for "production" Damon/Howatts and early Wings.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Grizzly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi Capt, first, never buy one you haven't handled, shot and love.  The one you order may not have the same feel.

You may not even appreciate the increased speed some may offer.  It will change your point of impact.  Some may not even offer much extra speed.

There have only been a handful of custom bows I've tried that really would have been pleasing enough in all aspects for me to shell out the expense.

Years ago, I went to Cloverdale looking for that bow.  Narrowed it down to 2 or 3 and then went to the car and pulled out an old 66" Browning Apollo I gave $5.00 for with twisted limbs that I straitened and shot it.  Shot the others alongside it.  One was faster but much twitchier.  They were all prettier, but none really shot any better.  So I ordered a long bow cause I wanted one, but the grip was so different that I was never happy with it.

We all go through this.  For some it's part of the hobby, just buying and trading. They are good people to know.   :)   I've had just as much fun taking deer with the first recurve I bought in 1969 and with Dad's Browning Safari 1 and with my 1966 Bear Grizzly and really with all the bows on the rack.  My old Hoyt TD-3 Warf has turned out to be the bow I go to for anything.
Craig

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
What Graps says makes a lot of sense. Before his post, I was going to suggest that you shoot as many of the bows you’re interested in as possible, and what Graps is suggesting will give you a chance to do that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©