3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Custom bows-An honest question...  (Read 2090 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom bows-An honest question...
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
THAT's the answer.

The bow that feels right to you is the right bow for you.  And one that starts right off putting arrows where you are looking tends to create an immediate attraction.  Looks wear out but cooking don't.  

I had a Dan Quillian Patriot recurve which I ordered from Dan hizzelf that would put an arrow through a water heater but I never found it pleasurable to shoot and it just wouldn't do what I asked.  And I tried and tried.  I sold it off for about what I paid for it.  To a guy that loved it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Come to ETAR!  It will really open your eyes to what's out there in trad bows.  four tents full of bowyers and dealers.  You can shoot until your arms fall off.

Mike
Mike Westvang

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:

Do I REALLY need a custom bow (at custom bow prices) when all I do is stumping, hunting, 3D and backyard shooting?

Is the quality of a custom really going to add (other than bragging rights) anything practical to my bowhunting and shooting experience that a vintage quality bow is lacking?  
No and no.

The very best archers on the planet shoot "production" bows.  Something to remember.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
No and no.

The very best archers on the planet shoot "production" bows. Something to remember.  
That sums it up in a nutshell.  I still love my Treadaway though, and plan to get one of Roy Hall's bows.  Because I want to.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I can shoot a black widow recurve better than any other bow Ive ever picked up. Also happens to be faster, quieter, and prettier than any of the others also. Take that for what it is

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
Need is often an emotional item. Obviously, you shoot very well, so you don't need the custom bow as a means of performing better; however, pride of ownership may add an additional dimension to your experience that meets the "need" of having something that is uniquely yours.
Sam

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Graps:
Kirk, you should really consider going to the Trad show in Kalamazoo Michigan this next year. It's only a few hour drive for you and you could get your hands on more bows than you could imagine.
I would even offer to meet you there and show you around.
You could also get to meet some interesting people like, G Fred Asbell, Ron LaClair and possibly Jose Miller from Flatline Bows.
It would be well worth your time, no doubt you would be overwhelmed and remember the experience for the rest of your life.
That is a very tempting offer, Dale. Thank you!
Aim small,miss small

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
Imagine owning one bow...you can only have that one bow so you shoot that one bow and work around all things you may not specifically like about it. But dang your a good shot. Now think about if your in the position to own that bow but you can fix the tweaks you don't like about it? Draw weight too much? Not smooth? Grip not just right? Wish you had it only 2 in less? Customs aren't customs anymore bc you won't get a one off bow unless you make it yourself. But you can get a bow made for you. Length draw weight longbow recurve low wrist high wrist checkered 66in or 56in exotic woods or generic woods laminations or colored glass. That's the fun part!  I have a new one being built. Boring where I want it exciting where I do! It'll be a bow I already own but at custom draw weight and diff woods. So it will be my bow
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
I have several bows made by Custom Bowyers that I have purchased from various classifieds or Craigslist.  I shoot some of these pretty well and have been concentrating on shooting a couple of the Longbows.   I have one Custom bow that I had made for me years ago.  It is Beautiful, Smooth, and flings the arrows. I have no Regrets about my Custom Recurve, but I just don't shoot as well with it as I do with my Martin Hatfield TD recurve.

My Hatfield has been my Go To Bow for the hunting season, year after year.  I have more time in with the Hatfield and if I need accuracy and precision, I take the Hatfield. I can pick it up after not shooting it for Quite a while and the arrows go where I want them to go.    :archer:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
If a stock Martin Hunter or a Bear Super Kodiak fits you just right, it is doubtful that another custom recurve will fit you much better.  More often than not it is the grip that is off for an individual, that can be adjusted on most bows.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
Kalamazoo and ETAR are both great places to check out bows...and lots of other stuff.  I'll be at both with BCY--we have a blast.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Etter:
I can shoot a black widow recurve better than any other bow Ive ever picked up. Also happens to be faster, quieter, and prettier than any of the others also. Take that for what it is
I feel about the same.  My PMA and PCH shoot great for me and I tend to shoot them better than other bows I've tried/owned.  However, a Bear Grizzly and/or Super Kodiak have that same "just right" fit for me when it comes to draw force curve and grip.  I think it boils down to properly matching the bow to the archer.   If that is true than a made to order bow is not any better fit than a factory bow unless the archer knows just what design fits them best.  However a lot of fun can had trying different bows in the process.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Yes, you need a custom bow, because production bows do not sponsor this site!!! I like the fact that my bows were birthed in a fellow bow hunters wood shop. Classifieds, find what u like and then call up the maker and fine tune. Good luck
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 06:04:00 AM »
I would consider letting someone else take the hit on a new custom bow....find it a few months later on the TG Classifieds, and get it for less money.  

Or, travel to a big event and try out lots of different bows to avoid 'buyer's remorse' because when you hold them in your hand it's a pretty good bet you'll like what you're buying a lot more.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gsurko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
If you want one you should have one, what we all think matters not.
Political correctness offends me

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
No, there is no need for a custom bow, your old Bears, Howatts, etc will do the same thing for less money.    :nono:  
     Having said that, I've owned many customs over the past 20 years. Many are a joy to behold with the beautiful woods and top notch craftsmanship. The reality however is that the Damon Howatt Coronado that my Dad gave me in 1972 is just as accurate and shoots about as hard as any Widow, 'Tip, Dye, etc I've owned. We shoot the arrow and the shooter is the main factor.

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
I have never understood that dang near new custom for sale thing.  You read about poeple all excited about the new custom that waited a long time to get.  Then the showing of the prize and everyone oohs and aahs over the pretty bow, it is declared the best ever, then a short time later they show up for sale.  I have four bows that I ooh and aah over, and no, you cannot shoot them, they are mine.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
If you purchase a custom bow from a truly custom maker that builds the bow to your specific grip style and shooting style  and to perform maximumly at your exact draw then it may be worth it to you. Other than that a semi custom that has a standard grip and a generic draw length that has nice woods and good craftsmanship will cost much less and will probably be a step or two above what you can go buy off the shelf. In fact many of these are very competitive to over the counter bows.
One more thing is that you cannot judge any custom builder by a second hand bow that was truly built in a specific way for another person. It may be the worst bow in the world for you and not fit or work for you as well as a generic .

God bless, Steve

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by mec lineman:
Yes, you need a custom bow, because production bows do not sponsor this site!!!
Tell that to 3Rivers, Big Jim's, Bob Lee, Dryad, Kustom King, Lost Nation, VPA, etc..     ;)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Well, I guess I have time to ponder on this for a while now as over the weekend I bought a second Tamerlane. There goes my deposit money!LOL
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©